Electric shifter vs Air shifter

Price for one. I would also guess weight. Them electric shifters are heavy. But you dont need to worry about mounting an air / co2 tank or filling it.

I entertained one but its not as consistent from what many have reported and its HUGE and looks like you have a soda can mounted to ur shifter.:whistle: not to mention more chit for the insufficient hayabusa electrical system to handle when you have many other things hooked up.

id like to try one anyway and not have to worry about the air tank but they are pricey!

After seeing the electric one in action, I will never own one.

You have to go through a process every time you want to use it, not just hit the button..... I raced a guy who killed his bike on the line at the track, and was not able to get it reset in time to stage, and basically handed me the race:lol:

How many shifts do you get from an average air shifter before the tank needs filling again??

Most local tracks are running co2 tanks regulated down to 100PSI.. If your racing at an NHRA track and they have tech inspection it better be a DOT approved bottle.
Most air tanks you can get an avg of 20-25 shifts on a tank maxed at 130-145 psi and regulated to 90.
On a street bike just make an onboard air compressor taken from a mini air compressor that most keep in there trunk of the car.

This is a foot activated electric shifter. Amazingly quick, but my legs are short and I have pant legs bunched up, so I can't get my foot under it in time for the first shift. I leave with left leg up, which is not optimal either. Plug n play also. If you're good enough to get a leg up, it is set thru the ECU at whatever millisecond you choose, so it's as quick as an air shifter.

ECU Editor Products

Im not sure how im going to be able to leave the line as I have a smashed right leg and dont know how well its going to repair which is why I fancied the pingle as it shifts off a button on the bars.

This is a foot activated electric shifter. Amazingly quick, but my legs are short and I have pant legs bunched up, so I can't get my foot under it in time for the first shift. I leave with left leg up, which is not optimal either. Plug n play also. If you're good enough to get a leg up, it is set thru the ECU at whatever millisecond you choose, so it's as quick as an air shifter.

ECU Editor Products
imo the whole purpose of an air shifter or electric shifter is so u dont have to use ur foot to shift but I had my share of problems with my air shifter last year with C02 leaking out:banghead: and entertained the quick shifter myself. but once u get spoiled by shifting with a button so quick and effortless I just couldnt warm up to the idea of having to foot shift.

with a 1 lb bottle of C02 one shud get 150-200 shifts but mine uses air to control the wastegate as well so I never saw that many shifts and it was leaking somewhere. and its also set up to shift automatically at a certain RPM so I can just hold on and go.....:beerchug:

What kind of fittings were you using to have issues with leaks? In all the years I have ran air shifters the only issue I had was an onboard compressor crapping out.
Maybe due to the higher pressures of the co2 compared to regular o2

imo the whole purpose of an air shifter or electric shifter is so u dont have to use ur foot to shift but I had my share of problems with my air shifter last year with C02 leaking out:banghead: and entertained the quick shifter myself. but once u get spoiled by shifting with a button so quick and effortless I just couldnt warm up to the idea of having to foot shift.

with a 1 lb bottle of C02 one shud get 150-200 shifts but mine uses air to control the wastegate as well so I never saw that many shifts and it was leaking somewhere. and its also set up to shift automatically at a certain RPM so I can just hold on and go.....:beerchug:

Im not sure how im going to be able to leave the line as I have a smashed right leg and dont know how well its going to repair which is why I fancied the pingle as it shifts off a button on the bars.
What does your right leg have to do with shifting.
If your talking about a drag bike just mount your pegs low to the ground as your supposed to launch on your toes and just roll your feet up on to the pegs when the two step turns off

What kind of fittings were you using to have issues with leaks? In all the years I have ran air shifters the only issue I had was an onboard compressor crapping out.
Maybe due to the higher pressures of the co2 compared to regular o2
good question? first it was the AMS was acting up activating the decrease solenoid blowing air out.:banghead: then I thought maybe it was the baffle in the wastegate sticking. IDN. I might go on board compressor this year cause im buying a swingarm with a built in air tank. I gotta check the baffle in the wastegate. cud b sticking open. the solenoids were were placed in water and no bubbles.

With a 1 lb bottle you should be getting way more than 100-200 shifts with co2. If you have pressure gauges you might check them for leaks. That happened to me at the beginning of last year and finally figured out where it was at. I was able to get about 100 shifts out of a 4oz co2 bottle before I switched to the 2 lb bottle.

Yes, ultimately, the shifter would be better off on a button. I like the quick shifter for my street bike, so I don't have extra stuff on it. It's definately NOT the ultimate setup, but I can pull the shift lever at WOT and it's fast as hell.

What does your right leg have to do with shifting.
If your talking about a drag bike just mount your pegs low to the ground as your supposed to launch on your toes and just roll your feet up on to the pegs when the two step turns off

I hold the bike normally on my right leg, I can prob now hold it but it dont bend or move like it used to, so where I could have staged with left foot on the peg ready to shift now I need to have my right leg where its going to be for the run so I need to get the left leg onto the peg etc etc, hence the idea of using a button to change gear.

Anyone got a link to the CO2 shifters ??

Yes, ultimately, the shifter would be better off on a button. I like the quick shifter for my street bike, so I don't have extra stuff on it. It's definately NOT the ultimate setup, but I can pull the shift lever at WOT and it's fast as hell.
I havnt ruled out the quick shifter myself for my street bike but once u get spoiled by an air shifter its kinda hard to go back.

Thanks, thats pretty interesting, but looking at the kit how much lighter is it than the pingle system ?? If its only a couple of pounds then im tied between the 2 erring toward the pingle.
for many and is slow to shift compared to an air shifter but maybe thats not an issue for you.

my buddy has a Harley and has a problem shifting from an ankle injury and therefore wanted an electric shifter. he bought the Pingel. his electronic box that controls the shifter cylinder went bad twice and the shift cylinder was replaced about 1 year of use and the rod broke inside of it. its over priced, unreliable, heavy and doesnt shift as fast as an air shifter and its more electrical chit for the busa has to handle. BUT, that was a couple years ago so maybe they have improved them.

they just dont seem to stand the test of time for every day shifting and are probably more of a dragrace application but considering they dont shift as fast it kinda defeats that sole purpose imo.

they have to work well for some people but in all my years going to drag strip and looking over others bike I have NEVER seen one on a bike and many of these bikes had $40-50k into them so it wasnt price.

this company has been around like 15 years but dont know much about them. Push Button*Electronic Gearchange, Electric Shifter, Quickshifter, Flatshifter, Disabled Bike Adaptations

Back