EK 3D chain review

ZeePopo

Registered
Well this chains quality went down the tubes fast. So I been using these chains since they first came out and have always been happy with them. But this latest batch is pure crap not only in its durability but stretch and resistance to wear. Not to mention that a EK warranty service was subpar in dealing with my issues and avoided total responsibility and have simply stopped responding to my emails.

So my first 2 orders the electroplating was of really bad quality. I had to keep sending them back, some bubbling on the links, color not being consistent. I should have stopped at this point and bought from a different brand. But I kept searching until STG sent me a chain that looked better than my previous ones. A year in I notice the chain is building bubbles underneath the electroplating. Not only that but the plating itself was wearing away showing the steel underneath in some links. So obviously In such short milage this is a warranty issue. STG send me to contact EK Japan directly. I send them photos and they ask me to ship the chain to Japan via DHL. That's the cost of a new chain right there. But they are using their account so off it goes. They would have saved money if they just processed my claim and gave me a new chain. Chains shouldn't fail at 2k. So they ask me what lubricant I'm using and I tell them gear oil 80w90, same as with all my other chains including my previous EK 3D . Never a issue. Few weeks later they send me a report of their assessment of the chain. They will not do a warranty claim for me since they blame the gear oil for the rust and destroying the electroplating. Stating that gear oil is a non approved lubricant for O ring chains. Funny thing is in their report they examine my orings and state that they are in good condition. So apparently the electroplating and steel of EK chains is so bad now that gear oil will destroy them. So sad to see such a good company go down in quality so bad. Do not buy.

For good measure I checked the manual and Suzuki states gear oil is safe to use on our chains. Messaged DID and they also stated that gear oil is safe on their oring chains. Just subpar electroplating by EK on their chains blaming gear oil for electroplating failure while blaming the lubricant for everything, thing is the orings never failed. Go figure.

Screenshot_20220817-084714_Samsung Notes.jpg

A sad thing to hear especially from a company which was the bench mark....

The reality is quality is now not a priority....is this chain still being made in Japan or China I wonder?

The Yuasa battery I took out of my bike was made in China which made me sad....Yuasa batteries were re-known for being quality batteries....

A sad thing to hear especially from a company which was the bench mark....

The reality is quality is now not a priority....is this chain still being made in Japan or China I wonder?

The Yuasa battery I took out of my bike was made in China which made me sad....Yuasa batteries were re-known for being quality batteries....
Yeah I have to wonder where it's actually being manufactured since the quality of the electroplating was soo bad. Seriously gear oil destroying the electroplating, makes me so mad since I used to love this chain.

Back