Editor in chief responds to 12\'ers critisisms!!!!!

G

A few of the 12 owners at the ZX11 site hosted by Jeroen DeRoos took the time to write some nasty e-mails to Motorcyclist magazine blasting their dead on the money review of the 12. Editor in chief Mitch Boehm took the time to respond to these guys in a very accurate and hard hitting way. I dont know how to do it but the thread at the site is under ZX12R chat and is entitled "motorcyclist's review of the 12, they hated it!" Somebody please copy Boehm's responses and post them on this thread. This is priceless stuff that we all need to read and display here and on labusas. I'm not one to stir the pot but facts are facts, there can be only one. King that is...........

And I quote:

"By Jeffc (Jeffc) on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 01:08 pm:
Here are my emails to MC and Mitch Boehm's (the Editor) responses:

"I have been a subscriber for probably 10 years. Never, not once, have I written or even felt compelled to write. That's probably because I have found your editorial content generally accurate and honest. But after reading your review of the ZX-12R, I no longer believe that. Your declaration that the ZX-12R doesn't "measure up to Suzuki's GSX1300R Hayabusa in terms of all-out engine performance, backroad handling and top flight fit-and-finish," p. 54, Cheers & Jeers, just doesn't add up. It doesn't ring true given that every other review I've read in print and on the Internet declares the exact opposite! (Save for the fit-and-finish part.) How could you guys have gotten it so wrong? How many miles and under what circumstances did you ride it anyway? Maybe you're just resentful because Kawasaki reps. promised you a Top End King and didn't deliver. Based on your review I almost traded in my ZX-12R for a Hayabusa, after only 3000 miles.
Had it not been for my dealer's insistence on $1400 plus the trade in, I would be the unhappy owner of a Hayabusa right now. Unhappy because the other reviewers have set the record straight since your review. Whatever the reason for your conclusions, this reader, and many others (if the ZX-12R websites are any indication) think Motorcyclist just plain screwed up the
ZX-12R review. While I weigh canceling my subscription, maybe you should consider an encore review; only this time, be a lot more thorough and
objective!"

Subj: Re: ZX-12R Test "Power Play" - June 2000
Date: 00-05-09 10:50:28 EDT
To: JCharlow@aol.com

Jeff

We're right about the 12R. If you rode all three bikes for days and days on all sort of roads like we did, you'd know it, too. Feel free to drop by and see how exhaustive our testing is before you go shooting off your mouth about a supposed lack of credibility.

Thanks for thinking of us, though.

Mitch @ MC

>>> 5/9/00 8:26:28 AM >>>

Mitch, thanks for the reply. I would love to know how "exhaustive" your testing was on the ZX-12R. But before I spend the time and money for a trip
from Baltimore, MD, can you email some details about (1) how exhaustive your review was and (2) why you think that the majority of other sources
contradict the bulk of your review? Maybe MC's review was MORE exhaustive than those other reviews. Do you think that's true? Maybe we should ask Burns, since he wrote the piece.

Jeff

>>> 5/7/00 11:08:07 AM >>>

Subj: Re: ZX-12R Test "Power Play" - June 2000
Date: 00-05-09 11:51:07 EDT
To: JCharlow@aol.com
CC: MCMAIL@emapUSA.com (MCMAIL MCMAIL)

Jeff

Thanks for the reply.

Here's a question for ya. How many of these ezines and newer magazines rode all three bikes back to back (like we did), on the freeway, to and from work, and on a selection of fast and slow (and smooth and rough) backroads? As far as I know, none did. Brian Catterson's new Sportbike magazine (which just hit the shelves) did, and they came to the same conclusion we did regarding the three bikes and how they stacked up in terms of all-around competency. Maybe he's wrong, too? I doubt it; he's a helluva good motorcycle tester, as are others at CW.

The problem here isn't that we're wrong about the 12R and 'Busa, but that so many of the other media sources are (especially ezines; do you really believe all the stuff you read there? Jeez, some of it's nightmarish!). I'll gladly put up our level of road testing (15 years for me, 18 for Cook, 14 for Burns, 20 for Smith, 30 for Friedman, 40 for Jennings, etc.) against anyone else's. Also, riding these bikes back-to-back is simply a MUST. Bikes are so good these days that the small differences (and the are small) aren't noticeable unless you jump off one and onto another.

Look, the 12R is a fine open-classer. It's just that, in terms of overall handling, feedback, steering feel and general chassis crispness, the Busa is a better piece. Not by much, but by a noticable amount.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Mitch @ MC"

Here are the things I don't get about the 12: a) the 12 got this revolutionary frame that was supposed to make it super slippery and super fast. Didn't happen. So why the frame????? The Busa has a tried and true, ultrastout, perimeter frame that delivers the goods. And the bike is slippery too. Looks like Suzuki made a smart choice about applying 'appropriate technology'. Say whatever you want about Kaw having aircraft engineers who know aerodynamics, the Busa is one slippery bird. b) the ZX-12 was supposed to be super light. But even with a 4-2-1 and titanium end can it barely beats the Busa on weight. So the Busa is lighter with an equivalent exhaust. c) then there is power. they held the thing back a year to stomp on the Busa. the HP is on par, but the torque is not. what is more important most of the time on the street: torque. So the Busa is in a lower state of tune, and it still stomps the 12. d) and in designing in the power that they did, they tweaked it to the max, and now you have to break it in for 2000 miles to 'hopefully' get reliability. and maybe you will get it. maybe NOT. plus the gas mileage sucks compared to the Busa. e) then they set the rear pegs too high for a passenger, so it is less around. f) then they charge more money for less of a bike. g) then they hype it to the moon. check out all the ads. I don't remember alot of Busa hype. the hype that I did read was written by everyone who rode the bike.

Hmmm, maybe I'm being negative here. But I used to be a BIG Kaw fan for many years. I had expected so much more. Has Kawasaki lost their way?

PLUS! Mitch Boehm is genuinely cool. I was surprised to receive a personally answered Email from him when I asked another question.

Why Mitch felt the need to justify their testing to one guy is beyond me. Jeff's e-mail would have been promptly nuked.

the one thing i don't understand is how the zx-12 fans think the 12 can actually beat the busa. The 12 was designed to fight the Blackbird..simple design..add 100more cc's make the bodywork a bit more slippery..almost like the XX..and Bang..we're king again..But..just like when suzuki caught honda's Superhawk by surprise with its TL1000S, they unleashed The hayabusa and kawi was sent back reeling. They tried to boost the 12's umph and well...the tests don't lie. Motorcyclist called the 12 a "underachiever"..The 12 went wobbling all over the road and lost the top speed run to the busa in MCN's test...it Failed, Failed,FAILED. It was just inevitable. Even when Ricky Gadson was doing "hype-up runs" i knew it was a fluke. I mean, HE gets a bike, and its not even in production yet. Can you say blueprinted? That and he did yet a 2nd run on a Muzzy prepped production model that "only" had a Muzzy's exhaust system... Schnitz tie-down strap in front, and Muzzy's adjustable links in the rear. I don't see this come stock on ZX-12's. From what i remember from the mag tests, and the speedvision/motorcyclist test between the bird and Busa, The hayabusa did what it did without being blueprinted, without being strapped in the front, was never prepped by yoshi before a run, and didn't need a top drag racer like gadson to accomplish its 1/4 times...still..in the end..it all boils down to what one prefers. If you like the 12, get it then. But my money only gets the best, and that will be in the form of a red and black abuser coming home soon..;-)

later
speed

Actually, having ridden one last weekend for a pass at Carlsbad Raceway, I can say definitively that the ZX-12 is a genuinely bitchin' bike. I'm not ready to trade my copper Busa for one (or for anything else...my copper baby ain't for sale, not now, not ever). But that ZX-12 is a slingshot. Compact, smooth, I was very impressed. I screwed up my launch big-time, but that was me, not the bike. It did enough to impress me.

All these bikes on Y2K time frame are the best bikes in the world I would be happy to ride the 12R or XX or R1.Thank god we got choices!!!!!Ride safe

Remember that the Busa was tested by a lot of journalists in Spain long before it ever hit the dealers. I read that test and put my deposit down pronto. No test like that for the ZX12-for a very good reason! The ZX12 probably gives more of a feeling of acceleration due to the lack of comparable torque at low revs so when it hits the power then it goes. The Busa already gets moving down low and has less of a kick. The Busa designers got a finished product just right and sent it out to the public. The ZX12 people were scrambling. I agree that its great to have the choices we have now. Where else can you go put down 10-12 grand and get almost comparable horsepower to a world superbike or 500 grand prix bike? Nowhere! If by a cruel twist of fate I ended up with a ZX12 instead of my Busa then life would still be very good. Just no URALs please ;)

fearsome believe it or not has made some pretty nice posts on labusa.org.........I even told him about the sport bike mag test where the busa again wins top speed and quarter mile and he didnt freak at all............................

Where's that *** , Fearsome, when you really need him.

I'd like to see what he has to say about this review and responses.

Z

Back