ECU Boost Control on Gen II Busa

smithabusa

Site Sponsor
Registered
Got a chance to do some testing this evening with petriks ECU boost control :)

I had a choice to either drag the bike out to the barn where my tools and air compressor are, or rig up an air tank with a regulator on it to be the supply source. I basically have an air supply feeding a 1/8 npt air solenoid that is controlled by your software petrik, then on the output of the solenoid i am feeding the top side of the wastegate, gm 3 bar map sensor, and a mechanical boost gauge for me to watch. Engine is off, and just monitoring boost pressure on the top of the gate. I have a small air leak somewhere, but a leak of some sort is needed so that the wastegate can relieve itself, i think with the adjustable exhaust leak i have on the solenoid you can tune how quickly the boost bleeds back off when you downshift to a lower gear, making it leak off quicker will make the solenoid have to run more continous to maintain pressure.

Anyhow here are 2 videos, 1st with lower pressure, 2nd with higher pressures, there is some overshoot, but its hard to say how actual behavior on the road would be as I would be just using the manifold for air source vs 30 psi coming from an air tank, it would have longer to build up and probably overshoot less.

Anyhow, man for a first crack this seems to work pretty darn good!

Video 1
www.boostbysmith.com/Videos/ecuboost.wmv

Video 2
www.boostbysmith.com/Videos/ecuboost2.wmv

Thanks for all you do sir, the busa ecu flashing community wouldn't exist without you.

Greg

MonFeb08200927AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Got a chance to do some testing this evening with petriks ECU boost control :)

I had a choice to either drag the bike out to the barn where my tools and air compressor are, or rig up an air tank with a regulator on it to be the supply source. I basically have an air supply feeding a 1/8 npt air solenoid that is controlled by your software petrik, then on the output of the solenoid i am feeding the top side of the wastegate, gm 3 bar map sensor, and a mechanical boost gauge for me to watch. Engine is off, and just monitoring boost pressure on the top of the gate. I have a small air leak somewhere, but a leak of some sort is needed so that the wastegate can relieve itself, i think with the adjustable exhaust leak i have on the solenoid you can tune how quickly the boost bleeds back off when you downshift to a lower gear, making it leak off quicker will make the solenoid have to run more continous to maintain pressure.

Anyhow here are 2 videos, 1st with lower pressure, 2nd with higher pressures, there is some overshoot, but its hard to say how actual behavior on the road would be as I would be just using the manifold for air source vs 30 psi coming from an air tank, it would have longer to build up and probably overshoot less.

Anyhow, man for a first crack this seems to work pretty darn good!

Video 1
www.boostbysmith.com/Videos/ecuboost.wmv

Video 2
www.boostbysmith.com/Videos/ecuboost2.wmv

Thanks for all you do sir, the busa ecu flashing community wouldn't exist without you.

Greg

MonFeb08200927AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Hey Greg

That really is VERY NICE :cheerleader:!
Thank you PETRIK, nice job!
Keep it coming . . .:lol:

they work fine on my 3 computers i have here. ill email them for you if you can't download, you may need updated codec's for the .wmv to play possibly

Here ya go put on you tube for ya :)

Video 1
- ecuboost.wmv[/url]

Video 2
- ecuboost2.wmv[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here ya go put on you tube for ya :)

Video 1
- ecuboost.wmv[/url]

Video 2
- ecuboost2.wmv[/url]

Impressive!! Even my Innovative Boost Controller over shoots the target sometimes by a pound or 2.. I cant wait to get ECU/gear boost ref.. Good job!

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to Frank the other day and sounds like a NO GO on the ECU boost control :( I'm gonna put in the Innovative boost controller for now.. Nice work anyway...

still in process, had less than desirable results on first attempt at the dyno, more testing to come soon, will keep you posted on any progress ;)

i just checked his website, it doesnt say anything about it but ill take your word. is lee a member?

he builds some sick motors from the looks of his charts, hows his dyno rep?

got a 30 minute ride in before it poured, never got a chance on the nice flat smooth road to get a sweet datalog, but this is close enough, you will see i never get above 80% throttle, in 1st gear i am only 40-50% throttle,

gate springis 6 psi, 1st gear only 4-5 psi with so light in the throttle, but the rest of the gears working out quite nicely :) I am sure had i kept in it 100% throttle boost traces would have been much nicer, but man a stock arm is a trip LOL.

1: 4.5 psi
2: 6.0 psi
3: 8.5 psi
4: 10.0 psi
5: 13.0 psi
6: 14.0 psi

Petrik, YOU ROCK BUDDY!!!

6gearlog.jpg

Boost fuelling, gear based boost control , nitrous control with rampup by gear , shifter, ignition dwell control in addition to basic fuel and ignition mapping are there. Its getting a bit dull momentarily as all the standard features are now more or less implemented. Traction control/launch control are the ones I am personally interested to look a bit more in detail maybe as a next challenge ...

Increasilngly important question here is - what is the area we shall look into next with www.ecueditor.com?

Boost fuelling, gear based boost control , nitrous control with rampup by gear , shifter, ignition dwell control in addition to basic fuel and ignition mapping are there. Its getting a bit dull momentarily as all the standard features are now more or less implemented. Traction control/launch control are the ones I am personally interested to look a bit more in detail maybe as a next challenge ...

Increasilngly important question here is - what is the area we shall look into next with index?

And thanks to you, we can utilize many of these new features without having to buy expensive piggyback controllers . . .:thumbsup:

How about enabling boost control with two solenoids - the second one being used to bleed off excess pressure and enable more accurate targeting? How about the ability to "ramp" boost as well? Push-button scramble boost and push-button reduction of boost levels, and full throttle two stepping would be great . . . as would the ability to change these settings without having to burn the ECU every time . . . seriously Petrik, thanks for everything you have done so far. Anything else would just be a plus!:cheerleader:

Back