Newbie turbo boost control question

hendrixgr

Registered
Hi.
Please forgive me if my first post does not make too much sense since English is not my mother language.
I am from Greece and i have a question that is turbo related as it is certain that nearly if not all of you are more experienced than me.
Having read almost the entire board there is still something hazy in my mind about controlling fuel on a turbo bike.
My bike is a gen1 2007 in superb condition and after much consideration i decided to fit a turbo stage 1 set at 4-5 psi boost max.
My question is this:
Can a power commander V control the fuel delivery using it's 0-5v input from the MAP sensor or i need an FMU?
I think the stock fuel pump is good enough for ~200hp and so is the absolutely stock engine (That's the maximum i will ever want)
In my not so clear mind i am thinking that a pcv with auto tune and lcd screen coupled with a stage 1 turbo set at maximum 4 psi of boost might be a viable solution,
what do you all think?
My intention is to install the turbo my self as i don't want nobody else to touch my bike (for the installation) and then drive the bike under it's own power
to a dyno for further tuning.
Thank you in advance for your time guys.
Chris

Hi.
Please forgive me if my first post does not make too much sense since English is not my mother language.
I am from Greece and i have a question that is turbo related as it is certain that nearly if not all of you are more experienced than me.
Having read almost the entire board there is still something hazy in my mind about controlling fuel on a turbo bike.
My bike is a gen1 2007 in superb condition and after much consideration i decided to fit a turbo stage 1 set at 4-5 psi boost max.
My question is this:
Can a power commander V control the fuel delivery using it's 0-5v input from the MAP sensor or i need an FMU?
I think the stock fuel pump is good enough for ~200hp and so is the absolutely stock engine (That's the maximum i will ever want)
In my not so clear mind i am thinking that a pcv with auto tune and lcd screen coupled with a stage 1 turbo set at maximum 4 psi of boost might be a viable solution,
what do you all think?
My intention is to install the turbo my self as i don't want nobody else to touch my bike (for the installation) and then drive the bike under it's own power
to a dyno for further tuning.
Thank you in advance for your time guys.
Chris

A PCV is good but you are going to need an FMU to extend the range of the stock injectors on a Gen 1, which will max out at about 280 rwhp, and about 10 pounds of boost. Although you can boost reference with a PCV, your stock injectors will still need the extra fuel pressure provided by the FMU to adequately fuel your new setup. The stock fuel pump will not suffice, you will need an external pump. Autotune is a huge mistake, and will only blow your bike up faster than the time it took you to write your post . . .:poke:

Thank you all for your help, it helps me to feel welcomed somewhere...
Yes i suspected that auto tune will not work but wanted the confirmation from someone who really knows.
May i ask why, is it that the pcv's (or O2 sensor's) correction speed is too slow?
As i have read nearly everything posted in the internet i will wait until i have enough money ( i have been saving for quite some time now)
to buy a rcc kit which from what i have read is the most reliable.
I only need 4-5 psi of boost as i don't intend to mess with this later on, growing older taught me not to be greedy and have patience.

Thank you all for your help, it helps me to feel welcomed somewhere...
Yes i suspected that auto tune will not work but wanted the confirmation from someone who really knows.
May i ask why, is it that the pcv's (or O2 sensor's) correction speed is too slow?
As i have read nearly everything posted in the internet i will wait until i have enough money ( i have been saving for quite some time now)
to buy a rcc kit which from what i have read is the most reliable.
I only need 4-5 psi of boost as i don't intend to mess with this later on, growing older taught me not to be greedy and have patience.

Yes, autotunes are slow, they tend to lag behind, time-wise. Regardless of that, you simply cannot put a turbo fuel tune in any kind of "correcting" mode . . . AFR is critical on a turbo, and although a normally-aspirated bike will not likely be damaged when lean, a turbo motor will melt pistons.

Good info thank you so much for your answer (s)
Btw if anyone want to come to Greece for vacations or for any other reason and needs any information or help i would be more than glad to help.
I am not in the vacations business (i work for the army) and i know that those are hard times for such vacations but you never know.
Chris

Also if you want to connect a map sensor to the 0-5 volt input on the PCV you have to connect one to it that can read positive boost pressure, the factory Suzuki one will not work, then you can tune it with the boost/fuel table in the PCV

Richard

Great i didn't knew that!
I was suspecting that something strange is happening with the stock MAP sensor because i saw a turbo kit's installation manual
and it had some check valves connected to it i think.
Things got much clearer in my mind in a few hours.
Chris

Back