Dymag wheels for drag racing

jstewart

Registered
Hi guys i am visiting from over on the dark side hoping someone over here can give advice. I am setting up my ZX-12 for drag racing only this season and have dymag 5 spoke magnesium wheels on it. I am concerned whether the rear wheel is strong enough for this application. superbike racing who sold me the wheels thinks so but I am not sure. The zx-12 is currently making 197 hp and I have extended and lowered the bike. Will be using the usual MT shootout tire. Anyone over here that has used dymags on a high hp hyabusa drag bike? I hate to use the stock wheel and have to gain back the 6 pounds.

Your best bet would be to call the manufacturer for a question like that, but i know a guy with the all carbon dymags who has raced them for a few years with well over 300 HP and never a problem. If superbikes and Formula USA can run 170 to over 200HP with them i would have to believe you would be just fine,, but call the people that make the wheels!

smile.gif
Found answer from superbike racing. It seems that some hyabusa`s experienced problems with Dymags. The sprocket carrier and bearing was not strong enough and failed. This only happened in high HP bikes and was probably due to extreme stress caused by drag race launches with MT shootout tires or equalivent rubber. At any rate Dymag has a retrofit carrier and bearing which will be provided under warranty. The Dymag magnesium wheels were rated for 350 HP but apparently the sprocket carriers and bearing were not. If you know anyone who has bought Dymags for a hyabusa or ZX-12 Dymag will provide a retrofit carrier and bearing. Please tell them since this could cause a failure.

Back