Dunlop "qualifiers"

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Well folks...my bud and h.org member Dakkine turned me onto a real reasonable and mechanically trustworthy local businessman "Doctor Dons Cycle Designs"..I had heard of the guy from others at bike nights and rides and such but never knew his number or location which is about 20-25 miles north of me..last week Dakkine gave me his number as my Pilot Powers (which I loved) had right at 5,000 miles on'em and down to the wear bars on the front and 1/2 way through the wear bars on the rear..and last week I decided that my silver beast needed new shoes...so I called Don and he claimed he had a power front but not a rear but that he had "Dunlop Qualifiers" in stock for my busa however?..if I wanted to wait a few days that he'd order up the power rear for me..i said.."okay...I'll wait"...well..as it turned out?..by this past wednesday?...the powers (I loved so much) still didn't come in as Don expected and I anticipated..as Don confided to me that he had been experiencing some delays in getting powers in a timely fashion recently..and I ride to work daily and been holding off on sunday morning rides due to "LackaRubba"..so by today?..friday..I asked Don if he wouldn't be too terribly pi$$ed if we just went ahead and mounted up a set of the Qualifiers he had in stock, on hand and immediately available...which we did just this evening after work..and here's my first impressions of compromising my beloved powers in exchange for my busas new dunlop qualifiers..

Now first lemme update by saying..I ran out of the stock oem BT056 rear by 3,000 miles...then mounted up a BT014 (which I liked but caught a nail in by 3,400 miles and plugged till at 3,600 miles I took the $400 plunge for Michelin Pilot Powers...which were waaaay better than the stones...by a long shot...and ran those Pilot Powers for 5,100 miles but hafta point out that by 4,000 miles the powers were begining to "Feel A Bit Wooden"..no biggy...to be expected and I never dreamed I'd get such great milage out of the Pilot Powers..but up to that 4K milage mark?...they handled and stuck real well...I loved'em...to the point that I had a sense of remorse by "Setteling" for accepting the new dunlop qualfiers...and my only complaont with the pilot powers was that when pushed ultra hard?..like at the peak of my skills?..they did start feeling a tad "squirmy"..and today?...I got to see annnnnnd...feel "why"....as once the powers were off my rims?..I compared the sidewall stffness (by feel of hand) with that of the dunlop qualifiers and was shocked..as instantly I knew (and felt) why the powers were "so plush riding"..which was the same reason why "they felt squirmy when pushed hard" as the sidewalls on the new dunlop qualifiers were at least 2 times....maybe even 3 times STIFFER than the sidewalls of my pilot powers...and I'm not a fan of dunlops...always favored metzlers or michelins...and historically hate stones (will bridgestone ever design a front tire "that doesn't cup out" in less than 1,500 miles?) and never cared for dunlops...now here's my initial impressions of my new dunlop qualifiers...

The Qualifiers are STABLE as he11...awsomely so...at all speeds....and?...

The compound must be soft and/or they warm up quick as hell cause I had'em "scuffed'em in" in no time..and in short order was right back to carving corners in standard fashion with utter confidence and without incident.

"The Ride" isn't quite as "plush" as my recall my powers being (when new) but there's good reason for that...as the dunlop qualifiers do have the far stiffer sidewalls which trades off just a tad of plush ride for gobs of additional "Stability"...and that's not to say the ride of the qualifiers is anywhere's near harsh either because it isn't...and actually?...it more in the form of "Far Better Feedback"...feedback which I now feel the powers sacraficed for their awesomely plush ride...with their ultra soft, borderline flimsy azz sidewalls...and not that the pwoers can't be pushed hard as they can...but be prepared for some squirm out of the powers where....the same dosen't hold true with the qualifiers...again...they are rock stable and wreak of feedback...like your hardwired to the road...yet smoothly because...

"Traction"...with a capitol "T"....like your glued to the freaking road...much like my powers usta feel....but with the sound stability of the BT014...as in....the Qualifiers feel like the best of both.
biggrin.gif

"Steering"...ya know this is a toughy...as it always seems that new tires are always awesome as they are..well?.."New Tires"...but even with that taken into consideration?...when it comes to "Steering"...the qualifiers are as nuetral a feeling tire as I've ever experienced...and new for new?..(and I never thought I'd say this..but..)...after doing some slalom exercises scuffing in the qualifiers?..they do in fact flick a bit quicker and easier than what I recall of my pilot powers when new...and they steer like "Right Now"..."just think it and twitch yer azz and your headed that way"...kinda neutral steering...and i like that.
biggrin.gif

"Wear"...there's not a doubt in my mind that these new Dunlop Qualifiers aren't gonna wear out about twice as fast as my Pilot Powers did...I think i'll be fortunate if I get 2,500 out of these tires based on traction and feel as I know I'll be riding quite a bit harder as well...due to the higher confidence levels they yeild over the powers...but for fun like that?...with all that traction and stability?...at $280 a set mounted and balanced?...I like'em amd well worth the short milage and price of admission..besides for hard riders?..regarding both "Insurance" annnd "Safety"?.."Sticky Tires" are always a bargain as opposed to the alternatives.

I like the qualifiers so far folks...and after seeing the difs in the Qualifiers sidewall thickness/stiffness as compared to the powers?...I'm not certain I'll ever purchase another set of Pilot Powers ever again...no matter how many miles I can get out of'em and...

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

You're very welcome folks...and I'm still stunned...as the pilot powers handled so much better tha the oem stones I figured I'd never be happy with anything "other/less than" powers...thinking nothing could possibly beat the michelins oh so awesome pilot powers...however...the Dunlop Qualifiers....

1. Feel Far More Stable Than The Powers

2. Actually Feel Stickier Than The Powers

and...

amazingly...

3. "FLICK & STEER" a tad quicker/easier Than The Powers.

and I was like...
wow.gif
tounge.gif
blush.gif
laugh.gif

all the way home.
laugh.gif

There are only two slight downsides as follows...

1. the powers are definantly "plusher riding" but only by a slight margin...which is a margin I'll gladly accept in exchange for the virtues of the Qualifiers listed above and...

2. I seriously doubt I'll get anywhere's near the 5K+ miles out of the Qualifiers as I did with the Pilot Powers..but again...an exchange I'm happily willing to accept...as imho?..even if I only get 1/2 the milage out of the Qualifiers as I did the powers?...the greater stabilty, traction, confidence and safety is wonderful payback for even a 50% milage trade-off.
biggrin.gif

and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

I've been trying to decide when to get my next set. I guess I'lll go with the qualifiers next, based on your review.

Thanks Jinks, that was easy.

Chris

Great review Bill. I've been curious about them Dunlops for Track. My Pilots were awesome at Cali Speedway last month and they weren't even scrubbed in perfectly. I was at race pace at the very first lap. Qualifiers and M3's are on my list of tires I plan on trying out next.

I've been trying to decide when to get my next set.  I guess I'lll go with the qualifiers next, based on your review.  

Thanks Jinks, that was easy.

Chris
You won't be disappointed Chris...these suckers are like their vaccume locked to the road...and feel like your riding on pencl eraser with real stout sidewalls...the more I ride'em the more I like'em and in just a few miles I was more confident cornering with the Qualifiers than I ever was with my old pilot powers...and I loved them as well at the time...man....bridgestone must really suck!
laugh.gif

I took the Qualifiers off my 06R6 after the first trackday and they now reside on the Busa . It had the Powers on it before but you're correct , they are a great tire . The only reason I changed at the track was to keep consistant and I had been running the Power Race series on my old trackbike all last year . I equaled my best times from last year while on the Qualifiers though .. I noticed a definite improvement in handeling on the busa with them

I took the Qualifiers off my 06R6 after the first trackday and they now reside on the Busa . It had the Powers on it before but you're correct , they are a great tire . The only reason I changed at the track was to keep consistant and I had been running the Power Race series on my old trackbike all last year . I equaled my best times from last year while on the Qualifiers though .. I noticed a definite improvement in handeling on the busa with them
yep...and I never thought i'd ever use this word associated with anything "dunlop" but....they are "awesome" ain't they!
biggrin.gif

I'm still grinning thinking of how in a matter of miles I was far more confident on the qualifiers than I'd ever been on the pilot powers and the kicker is....the dang powers weren't all that bad...but the qualifiers are definantly better...as I'm happy to realize...the tire industry seems to be moving right along here...trying to catch up with us!
laugh.gif

Update...today I noticed the steering is god aweful quick...as it appears that the front tire profile is the same as that of dunlops SportmaxGP race profile tires...and it's like I just start my leanand the qualifiers instantly suck me and the big silver bus down into the appropriate curve/lean angle and then hang on like their vacume locked to the road whist I just keep rolling on more and more throttle..speaking of which?...today?..several times I attempted to lay down some small darkies on corner exits (Much like I usta be able to do with the powers)...and each time I hit it harder and harder and guess what?...no dice...as the qualifiers are proving to take way more juice to step out the rear like I usta with the powers...which proves to me that the qualifiers do in fact have a substancial increase in traction over my old pilot powers...and.....daddy likey.
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

Given that I am concerned with any milage improvement when on street rubber, I looked long at the new Dunlops. After I choaked out the word Dunlop, lol....and started doing a little research on their newest sticky, I was rather impressed.

They seem to have a winner in this tire for the average street rider. We all want the best of both worlds. 5000 mile life and super glue stick...

I for one have never gotten 5k on a tire nor will I ever, less than 1000 for me on the last two rears.

the biggest difference between the power and the quailfier is the profile. The power has a v shaped profile and the qualifier had a rounder shape.

Early wear reports are showing same conditions, the new quailfier wearing quicker than the power. So Bill I believe you are right on the wear.

After my ramblings, Great post Bill and keep us updated on the miles.

Given that I am concerned with any milage improvement when on street rubber, I looked long at the new Dunlops. After I choaked out the word Dunlop, lol....and started doing a little research on their newest sticky, I was rather impressed.

They seem to have a winner in this tire for the average street rider. We all want the best of both worlds. 5000 mile life and super glue stick...

I for one have never gotten 5k on a tire nor will I ever, less than 1000 for me on the last two rears.

the biggest difference between the power and the quailfier is the profile. The power has a v shaped profile and the qualifier had a rounder shape.

Early wear reports are showing same conditions, the new quailfier wearing quicker than the power. So Bill I believe you are right on the wear.

After my ramblings, Great post Bill and keep us updated on the miles.
Thanks VMan and yes..I hear ya on the "Choke Out Dunlop" thing and I hafta giggle thinking back that AI figured I was losing something trying them but damn do they stick and handle.
biggrin.gif

btw....here's a pdf link to the dunlop qualifiers if your interested...a bit of sales but fairly informative as well..

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/pdf....tro.pdf

but here's another kicker...i wish these things would've come with a freaking owners manual cause either 'm going blind or?....they truely didn't mark ANY recommended PSI info on the tires....anywheres...and have no idea what i should be running'em at..and they feel so good right now I just ain't that concerned but sure would like to know..guess I'll hafta call dunlop monday. LOL!...and don't laugh....this is my first set of dunlops! LOL!

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

+1 on the Qualifiers Jinks- had mine on for roughly 2200mi now, and lovin every minute...weather here in WI still sux tho, haven't had a chance to run flat out, but a few warm days here n there, got'er out in sum sweepin bends n nice smooth twisties and she sticks like never before. I ran Dunlop 208s last set, and they were good, but just like you noticed Bill, I cant get the rear to 'walk out' exiting corners as easily anymore...only happens when temps are below 70 (which is like every FREAKIN day round here:p ) once tires are warm, fahgeddaboutit!
front still looks like new cuz i havent push'er too hard in corners-lack of good weather/traction. rear is lookin ok-no more wear than my dunlop, and thats impressive cuz i been doin a lot of 2-up ridin with tha missus, at least 5-600 miles on these things, and no flat spots anywhere.
So yeah, these things got my vote, thumbs up, hwatever you wanna call it. Run the stock sizes for Busa tho- heard the 200 makes it harder to get over in the turns.:)

what size did you use... i read that the 200 is built stronger  sj
As usual and typical?..I went with "Recommended Sizes" as if you deviate?...you lose the manufacturers intended profile...so?..I went with 190/50/17 rear (optimum for 6" rims as underlined in the spec chart in the following link..just click on "New Qualifiers" and scroll to the bottom for the spec chart)

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/

and yes...the 200 does use "2 ply nylon/2 ply aramid" belts while the 180/190 series uses "1 ply nylon/2 ply aramid"...so yes..the 200 has 1 extra ply of nylon...however...it shouldn't be assumed that the extra ply of nylon "Makes it stronger" as...it's most likely there because the wider width needs it to maintain a Z speed rating which is MORE unsprung rotating mass and NOT an optimum profile on a stock width 6" rear busa rim...as dunlop recommends a 6.5" rim for the 200...again...the wider rim now adds even more unsprung rotating mass...a real shame to hafta apply a 200 series...especially if ya don't really need it...and that's why the 190 is just dandy for me.
biggrin.gif

btw...rode some more today and these Qualifiers absolutely rock...super stable, highly agile with confidence inspiring "STICK"....they are by far the best sport/street tire I've ever ridden on....and what I descibe here isn't "something ya hafta feel for"...it's more like..."in your face"....improvement.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147627554 -->

biggrin.gif

Gives me something to think about, it's the only tire I haven't tried. I hated the o14, and even though the M-I(p-Rear) aren't rated that high in the mags, I liked them better or as good as the "Powers". The stiffer "P" sidewall may help w/the busa's wgt. but I also ride 2-up alot and it seems to make a big difference. It has almost too much CBP, "confidence building properties", if you know what I mean. 1-up I catch myself finding rubber hanging off the edge, opps. I'ld love to hear more as you use them, Thanks for the info.

Back