Qualifiers vs powers

well folks...here's an update regarding a verbage change after answering a pm from another board member who claimed to experience the same "squirmyness" of the powers at elevated temps (85 and higher)...here's my copied and pasted long winded response to his question...which after typing I thought I should share here with you all..

"Hey XXX...here's the deal..honestly?.."Squirmy" is the word that tufbusa first used to descibe what he experienced with his powers at the track and hence is the "word" which stuck in my mind when I first pushed my busa hard enough to experience the same...annnd?...maybe "Squirmy" is just a tad too strong of a word for the masses to appreciate and/or accept for a tire that has served so many so well..so?..I'd like to formally re-word "squirmy" too..."Too Lively For My Taste When Pushed Hard"...but it was with the mounting up of the oh so awesomely stable and sticky qualifiers that brought to my attention that the powers were indeed even a tad "lively" even when not pushed so hard..at the absolute limits of my riding skills...as the qualifiers feel far more planted,sticky and stable when pushed hard as they do even when NOT being pushed so hard there is a slight yet noticable dif in stability with the qualifiers even at lower speeds and aggression..damn..now I typed so much I need to post this. LOL!

But to answer your question?...no...my powers were just as...uhem..."lively"...on 50-60 degree days as 80-90 degree days...as the sidewalls of the powers are just too flexible..for my agressive riding style and taste...and I was shocked to find that the qualifiers stability and stick took my confidence and riding skills to the next level..like immediately...powers are still a great handling tire that yield a real plush ride and mega milage for what they are with real adequate stick...but only for those who who don't push their busa's hard enough to notice..."The Livelyness Of The Powers".

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Jinkster....I like the "Verbage" change, and ya can use my name ya know...lol...anyhow, like I said..above 85 F, Im getting Squirmy feel....maybe I might try the Q's after I get done with this set.

Oh, the Pilot's do work great on 1 wheel....the squirm, mushy, plush feeling is nice for Busa 1 wheel 12'O clock-High fun
smile.gif
Boy Howdy Valium, I had just the opposite experience on one wheel with powers. You didn't notice much when as long as you didn't get to high but once the front was all the way up, the side to side stability was not just bad, but awful. I only ran the powers for a couple of weeks and couldn't take it any longer. I took them off, replaced them with 14's and gave the almost new powers to a friend who still has them on his gixxer. IMO powers are good tires but there are much better ones out there. I have Super Dragons on now and those puppies put the powers back into the dark ages.

I'm glad the Jinkster became schooled on the powers. I told him about the hard braking instability of the powers when he got his first set and he thought I was smoking crack. And if you don't ride very hard, you'll never notice. But then if you don't ride very hard a touring tire is all you need. Most riders will never exceed the ability of the stock 56's but once they do, they'll know exactly what the term "Squirmy" means when they use any tire with a soft flexible sidewall such as the powers.

well folks...here's an update regarding a verbage change after answering a pm from another board member who claimed to experience the same "squirmyness" of the powers at elevated temps (85 and higher)...here's my copied and pasted long winded response to his question...which after typing I thought I should share here with you all..

"Hey XXX...here's the deal..honestly?.."Squirmy" is the word that tufbusa first used to descibe what he experienced with his powers at the track and hence is the "word" which stuck in my mind when I first pushed my busa hard enough to experience the same...annnd?...maybe "Squirmy" is just a tad too strong of a word for the masses to appreciate and/or accept for a tire that has served so many so well..so?..I'd like to formally re-word "squirmy" too..."Too Lively For My Taste When Pushed Hard"...but it was with the mounting up of the oh so awesomely stable and sticky qualifiers that brought to my attention that the powers were indeed even a tad "lively" even when not pushed so hard..at the absolute limits of my riding skills...as the qualifiers feel far more planted,sticky and stable when pushed hard as they do even when NOT being pushed so hard there is a slight yet noticable dif in stability with the qualifiers even at lower speeds and aggression..damn..now I typed so much I need to post this. LOL!

But to answer your question?...no...my powers were just as...uhem..."lively"...on 50-60 degree days as 80-90 degree days...as the sidewalls of the powers are just too flexible..for my agressive riding style and taste...and I was shocked to find that the qualifiers stability and stick took my confidence and riding skills to the next level..like immediately...powers are still a great handling tire that yield a real plush ride and mega milage for what they are with real adequate stick...but only for those who who don't push their busa's hard enough to notice..."The Livelyness Of The Powers".

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Jinkster....I like the "Verbage" change, and ya can use my name ya know...lol...anyhow, like I said..above 85 F, Im getting Squirmy feel....maybe I might try the Q's after I get done with this set.

Oh, the Pilot's do work great on 1 wheel....the squirm, mushy, plush feeling is nice for Busa 1 wheel 12'O clock-High fun
smile.gif
Boy Howdy Valium, I had just the opposite experience on one wheel with powers. You didn't notice much when as long as you didn't get to high but once the front was all the way up, the side to side stability was not just bad, but awful. I only ran the powers for a couple of weeks and couldn't take it any longer. I took them off, replaced them with 14's and gave the almost new powers to a friend who still has them on his gixxer. IMO powers are good tires but there are much better ones out there. I have Super Dragons on now and those puppies put the powers back into the dark ages.

I'm glad the Jinkster became schooled on the powers. I told him about the hard braking instability of the powers when he got his first set and he thought I was smoking crack. And if you don't ride very hard, you'll never notice. But then if you don't ride very hard a touring tire is all you need. Most riders will never exceed the ability of the stock 56's but once they do, they'll know exactly what the term "Squirmy" means when they use any tire with a soft flexible sidewall such as the powers.
he speaks the truth...and from now on?...when tuf speaks?...I'll be listening a lot closer...and not to blow my own horn as I'd only rank myself as maybe "Slightly Above Average" as far as an "Aggressive Street Rider" goes but...you gotta be one fast mofo before ya notice the powers squirm...but the trouble with that is this..by the time you notice the squirm...uhem...I mean "livelyness"?..it might be too damn late!
wow.gif
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

cool.gif

Tufbusa

Some good input you have there. The Powers havent given me an issue for short wheelies when the rear is around 36 psi. Now, Im not a wheelie expert, but the Powers once warmed up, feel alright for that application, but Im not riding out wheelies past 3rd gear.

Anyhow, I ride at my own pace, and not a racer by any extent, so I would have never thought I would be having the squirmy issues with the Powers. I guess I tend to call myself a confident but cautious rider, however when leaned over, and almost draggin a knee at 70 mph, the Powers lack the stability I was thinking the tire would have.

Also, Im really noticing the ground temp makes a huge difference on how the Powers react on a few corners I take each day, with the same amount of warm-up time for the tire. I love the Powers for Hwy. cruising, however not what I was hoping for in cornering stability - maybe it's just my riding style. Here's even another observation - the pilots give me much more feedback than the OEM tire, however the OEM tire felt much better in hard corners - EXCEPT for the fact that I could never tell when the OEM tire was being pushed to far, until just about too late, where the Powers give me much better input, and I know exactally the limits of the tire...just the Squirmy issue sorta taking away my confidence. The Powers do Perform Better than any other tire I've used in the Rain, so I guess it seems like its all about Trade-Off's.

Anyhow, just my silly input...Im just an amature

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: "my typing just plain stinks"|1148831278 -->

Dammit you guys!!!

Between Jinkster and Tufbusa....you've got me in a quandry!

I had just about decided that I was going with Powers....now I'm not so sure. I am no "ricky roadracer", but I do love to hammer the corners. I've had the B56's step out on me several times now (lately)...guess I'm getting more used to my bike..
But I don't want a tire that gives me less confidence in the corners than I have now..

crap! Gotta make my mind up pretty soon!!!!
wow.gif

Back