Qualifiers vs powers

How much air pressure were you running in your Pilot Powers
rock.gif
42 Rear/40 Front.....always...all the time.

At the track Michelin's run less air pressure than any other tire....on the street under "track conditions" they need to be
run at about 34 psi or less
wow.gif

Plus Dunlop does mention BUSA's on their tire usage list where as Mchelins only "officially" have HPX model as busa specific. Yeha? correct me if i'm wrong.

Vman...you know I gotz the utmost respect for ya bro but honestly?...I can't see how you can't notice the squirm...especially you...or?..maybe it's because your so damn smooth?...because it happens to me....
Of all the street rubber I have ever used:

BT56
D207
d208
M1's
HPX's

I feel the most comfortable on the PP. I run the pressure between 34-36 front and 32-34 rear.

I believe it happens to you, I trust and value your opinion, you have been at the sport longer than I have.

90% of the time I am out riding the Busa, I have some mix of race tire on. Maybe a soft front/med rear or med/med on both.

I k now from what people are telling me that are riding behind me, I am leaving darkies mid-corner out. Maybe I am spinning the tire too much to notice.

To me I have always felt planted from the get go on the Powers.

For the guys that are on the fence about the new Dunlops, I believe they have a winner with this tire, I just want to see some more milegage results.

When I shred a rear PP in 1500 miles, I need all the life I can get out of tires.

At the track Michelin's run less air pressure than any other tire....on the street under "track conditions" they need to be
run at about 34 psi or less
wow.gif
+1

On street, I only run 36 rear/37front.

track: 30 rear/31 front.

Michelin recommends track 21 rear/23 front. Too gnarly for me to go that low though.

Thanks for the follow-up Jinkster. I'm starting to get the itch to try a set. I'll be waiting for more info as you. I've still got enough on the front to burn up another rear so it will give me sometime to see how they go. thanks again.

What size Qualifers did you try? I ask because i've dropped the the 180/55 on my bike (been using PPs or Diablos) PPs are comming out with a 2TC in a 190/55 looking foward to trying those, BUT the qualifers are comming in a 200/55 profile. those are the ones i'm considering trying. I still don't unnderstand why "Race" tires are 190/55 but can't buy those for the street. it makes no sence to me.

What size Qualifers did you try? I ask because i've dropped the the 180/55 on my bike (been using PPs or Diablos) PPs are comming out with a 2TC in a 190/55 looking foward to trying those, BUT the qualifers are comming in a 200/55 profile. those are the ones i'm considering trying. I still don't unnderstand why "Race" tires are 190/55 but can't buy those for the street. it makes no sence to me.
I'm running a 190 rear...just as dunlop specifys...as the correct size tire for our stock rear rim width..to maintain dunlops intended tire profile/footprint..especially at heavy lean angles...putting on a 180 actually flattens the profile...putting on a 200 peaks out the center and adds a considerable amount of spinning mass weight to the rear..and to me there's a reason why "Recommended" or "Suggested" tire sizes are...well...recommended or suggested.
laugh.gif

What amazes me is this...major tire manufacturers hire numerous high dollar degreed engineers even paying ultra-high premiums for the "Best In The Business" types who then invest years of development and research with highly skilled riders under experimental lab/track conditions in an effort to perfect and optimize a magical combination of profile designs and compound formulas...and then?...the almighty consumer...privy to about one or two sets of bought and purchased tires at a time feels the need to call out their own pressure specs and sizes?...and in their minds this is in some way supposed to..."work out better"...than what a degreed enginer spent years of his life experimenting, testing, learning and developing?...to me?..that's like paying a brain surgeon just to borrow his scalpel so you can operate on yourself.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

I'd hate for this thread to become another tire pressure debacle. Let's just agree that extended aggressive riding will raise tire pressures front and rear and leave it at that.

Also, I appreciate all the reviews so far on the Qualifiers. I have a set sitting in my living ready to replace my Pilot Powers, which I happen to really like. Just trying the Q's because they were actually cheaper than the PP's. Anyway, much of the comparison provided by Jinxster, although thorough and appreciated kind of misses one key point, that he's really comparing New Qualifiers against Old Pilot Powers. Of course tires wear out because of the repeated heat cycles so at the end of its life a tire will "squirm". Having said that, I'm still looking forward to mounting the new Q's.

-PR

It's good to hear the debate because I'm trying to decide between PP and Q's. I've had good luck with Dunlops on my other bikes but the Busa is ready to lose the stockers.

I have no doubt the PP's will have that "squishy" or "squirmy" feel under hard accel. I feel it with the Pilots. But with that comes AWESOME GRIP!!

As far as pressure, all us track and racer guys go quite a bit lower for Grip, Increased contact surface and Less Warm Up times. I've tried the 41 rear/42 front at the track and BELIEVE ME YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE AT THAT PSI. That's just asking for a mean LOWSIDE OR WORSE. There's just no grip when the tire capacity is almost maxed and you're trying to attain steeper than usual lean angles.

I'm running a 190 rear...just as dunlop specifys...as the correct size tire for our stock rear rim width..to maintain dunlops intended tire profile/footprint..especially at heavy lean angles...putting on a 180 actually flattens the profile...putting on a 200 peaks out the center and adds a considerable amount of spinning mass weight to the rear..and to me there's a reason why "Recommended" or "Suggested" tire sizes are...well...recommended or suggested.
laugh.gif

What amazes me is this...major tire manufacturers hire numerous high dollar degreed engineers even paying ultra-high premiums for the "Best In The Business" types who then invest years of development and research with highly skilled riders under experimental lab/track conditions in an effort to perfect and optimize a magical combination of profile designs and compound formulas...and then?...the almighty consumer...privy to about one or two sets of bought and purchased tires at a time feels the need to call out their own pressure specs and sizes?...and in their minds this is in some way supposed to..."work out better"...than what a degreed enginer spent years of his life experimenting, testing, learning and developing?...to me?..that's like paying a brain surgeon just to borrow his scalpel so you can operate on yourself.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Well...the 180-190-200 really isn't a big difference, but going from a 50 to a 55 profile will make the busa more flickable in the turns. i don't care what the experts say. I've rode both on the street, and track days, the 55 profile DOES make it faster in the twisties IMHO.

But i did like your right up even if i don't 100% agree with what the "high dollar degreed engineers" say. make me a 190/55 and i'll use that.

laugh.gif

Exellent review !
Few things to be considered tho...
1. Comparison old PP with new q`s is not really clean. Unless you have two bikes with new sets installed. Nobody could remember how exactly tires feel a year ago.
2. 42 PSI for PP is way to much. with my 225 lb best pressure (for me) is 36-38 depending on outside temp.
3. If you can post follow up review after 3K miles it would be even better.
4. Who has the best price delivered for Q`s?
smile.gif

Exellent review !
Few things to be considered tho...
1. Comparison old PP with new q`s is not really clean. Unless you have two bikes with new sets installed. Nobody could remember how exactly tires feel a year ago.
2. 42 PSI for PP is way to much. with my 225 lb best pressure (for me) is 36-38 depending on outside temp.
3. If you can post follow up review after 3K miles it would be even better.
4. Who has the best price delivered for Q`s?
smile.gif

Hey folks...I can't believe that some here seem to be under the assumption that I'm that much of a rookie that I would be gleening this comparo between my 5,000 mile extremely worn Powers and BRANDY NEW Dunlop Qualifiers...so let me repeat..as the same was challenged/suspected in another thread...I'M NOT!
laugh.gif

The views and opinions I've expressed here to you all concerning my comparo between the powers and the qualifiers are based upon...

"my fondest memories of what my powers were like when new and in their prime"

as I'm not that ignorant as to NOT KNOW that new tires ALWAYS feel great when coming off of squared off, fully shagged skins...I wouldn't do that to you folks here and I definantly ain't that naive...far from it...and I'm not that old that I can't recall the best levels of confidence I had in the powers overall performance and handling...which was very good...actually?...great...and heads and tails over the stock shoes...but...still...even with all that taken into serious consideration?...the qualifiers have put my fondest memories of my powers to sleep...and my personal rankings have reversed...as I bought the qualifiers because my tire guy had trouble getting the powers in stock...so I begrudgingly accepted the qualifiers due to lackarubba...but as it stands today?..after experiencing the qualifiers and the performance levels they offer up in a very "in your face" sorta way?...now I'd hafta begrudgingly go back to powers if the qualifiers were out of stock...and I know...I disliked dunlops for years as well...but the truth of the matter here is...for me?..the dunlop qualifiers have taken street/sport tires to the next level in a big way..enough so that I find myself hoping and praying that my next set DOESN'T hafta be..."Me Going Back To Powers".....as I'd be very sad if I couldn't get Qualifiers again the next time around...but please...don't demean me with inferences that I'm just all aglow because I'm comparing my NEW qualifiers to my old shagged out powers cause I didn't and I'm NOT...and soon enough many of you will see that what I say is true because these new skins that dunlop has turned loose are going to shed many seconds off of many riders lap times...as they already have...and that's just something that is NEVER overlooked or taken lightly...not in this sport...and soon enough many power riders are going to see qualifier tread patterns burned into their minds...cause they're all gonna find that they have a damn good view of'em...all the time...from way back there!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148682875 -->

laugh.gif

well folks...here's an update regarding a verbage change after answering a pm from another board member who claimed to experience the same "squirmyness" of the powers at elevated temps (85 and higher)...here's my copied and pasted long winded response to his question...which after typing I thought I should share here with you all..

"Hey XXX...here's the deal..honestly?.."Squirmy" is the word that tufbusa first used to descibe what he experienced with his powers at the track and hence is the "word" which stuck in my mind when I first pushed my busa hard enough to experience the same...annnd?...maybe "Squirmy" is just a tad too strong of a word for the masses to appreciate and/or accept for a tire that has served so many so well..so?..I'd like to formally re-word "squirmy" too..."Too Lively For My Taste When Pushed Hard"...but it was with the mounting up of the oh so awesomely stable and sticky qualifiers that brought to my attention that the powers were indeed even a tad "lively" even when not pushed so hard..at the absolute limits of my riding skills...as the qualifiers feel far more planted,sticky and stable when pushed hard as they do even when NOT being pushed so hard there is a slight yet noticable dif in stability with the qualifiers even at lower speeds and aggression..damn..now I typed so much I need to post this. LOL!

But to answer your question?...no...my powers were just as...uhem..."lively"...on 50-60 degree days as 80-90 degree days...as the sidewalls of the powers are just too flexible..for my agressive riding style and taste...and I was shocked to find that the qualifiers stability and stick took my confidence and riding skills to the next level..like immediately...powers are still a great handling tire that yield a real plush ride and mega milage for what they are with real adequate stick...but only for those who who don't push their busa's hard enough to notice..."The Livelyness Of The Powers".

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148824557 -->

well folks...here's an update regarding a verbage change after answering a pm from another board member who claimed to experience the same "squirmyness" of the powers at elevated temps (85 and higher)...here's my copied and pasted long winded response to his question...which after typing I thought I should share here with you all..

"Hey XXX...here's the deal..honestly?.."Squirmy" is the word that tufbusa first used to descibe what he experienced with his powers at the track and hence is the "word" which stuck in my mind when I first pushed my busa hard enough to experience the same...annnd?...maybe "Squirmy" is just a tad too strong of a word for the masses to appreciate and/or accept for a tire that has served so many so well..so?..I'd like to formally re-word "squirmy" too..."Too Lively For My Taste When Pushed Hard"...but it was with the mounting up of the oh so awesomely stable and sticky qualifiers that brought to my attention that the powers were indeed even a tad "lively" even when not pushed so hard..at the absolute limits of my riding skills...as the qualifiers feel far more planted,sticky and stable when pushed hard as they do even when NOT being pushed so hard there is a slight yet noticable dif in stability with the qualifiers even at lower speeds and aggression..damn..now I typed so much I need to post this. LOL!

But to answer your question?...no...my powers were just as...uhem..."lively"...on 50-60 degree days as 80-90 degree days...as the sidewalls of the powers are just too flexible..for my agressive riding style and taste...and I was shocked to find that the qualifiers stability and stick took my confidence and riding skills to the next level..like immediately...powers are still a great handling tire that yield a real plush ride and mega milage for what they are with real adequate stick...but only for those who who don't push their busa's hard enough to notice..."The Livelyness Of The Powers".

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Jinkster....I like the "Verbage" change, and ya can use my name ya know...lol...anyhow, like I said..above 85 F, Im getting Squirmy feel....maybe I might try the Q's after I get done with this set.

Oh, the Pilot's do work great on 1 wheel....the squirm, mushy, plush feeling is nice for Busa 1 wheel 12'O clock-High fun
smile.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Jinkster....I like the "Verbage" change, and ya can use my name ya know...lol...anyhow, like I said..above 85 F, Im getting Squirmy feel....maybe I might try the Q's after I get done with this set.

Oh, the Pilot's do work great on 1 wheel....the squirm, mushy, plush feeling is nice for Busa 1 wheel 12'O clock-High fun
smile.gif
no doubt...and yes...I've had my busa's front lofted many times over on my old powers..and with all that weight on just one rear wheel?..on those rather thin sidwalls?..the rear power flattened out quite nicely....and long stable wheelies were no problem with the powers..and I was a tad apprehensive to do such with my powers as some member here stated that the powers profile was too steep to do such with any level of stability and safety..and as it turned out?...they were full 'O shid! LOL! as the powers wheelied just fine.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

cool.gif

Back