Dumb mistake...way overfilled oil...issues

Nefarioc

Registered
So, I've had my 05' running smoothly for almost 13 years now with the rubber side down. But alas, I've screwed up. I overfilled the oil to a ridiculous degree after an oil change thinking the oil leaked out from the initial change...It didn't (past stripped oil plug). I rode it briefly and smelled something like rotten eggs. So I drained the oil to the appropriate amount. Started her up and she bogged dead after about 10 seconds. Last night I took off the air filter and saw a small amount of oil residue in the air box. I've since cleaned it out.
My issue is that I went to fire her up again and she wouldn't turn over. Just the quick whirrr from the key and a dead click from the ignition. Any idea on how I can get her back on the road?

Thanks!

bike.jpg

So the consensus is the battery is faulty. I was worried about the excessive oil causing issue. Something along the lines of too much oil for the crankshaft to turnover. Not sure if that even makes sense, but I'll check the battery tonight.

Check battery, error codes. Just because the battery is new does not mean it's good. Could be you coated the plugs with oil. Will the motor turn over manually? If you had oil in the wrong part of the engine you would smell/see it (smoke).

Too much oil is as bad or worse than being a little low.

Thanks, there wasn't any smoke. The bike has never died on idle before so I was worried. I guess I flooded the spark plugs. Hence why it died and won't ignite.

I don't think it will work in 1st that's why I said 2nd or 3rd. but I was more interested in will the engine turn over manually to be sure you don't have anything more serious going on

An update to my woes. So I've been trying to diagnose the issues over the weekend. I pulled the airbox to find it had oil in it as I had guessed. I cleaned it out and replaced the spark plugs which had some oil residue as well.
IMG-1969.JPG

I cleaned everything up thoroughly. Inside my manifold there was some debris as well.

At this point...I was imagining something much more serious was wrong. But nonetheless, I put it all back together to see if she would fire up. Still just a dead click from the ignition. I then checked all the fuses and connections. All good.
I then turned my attention to the starter and crank case. After removing the cover, I tested the starter with the gears removed. It spun. So, it's not the starter. I deduced that it must be internal. The problem must be that the cam chain is locked. I put a 14mm wrench on the bolt and manually tried to turn it which had made a hissing sound of pressure releasing. I don't really know what to do at this point. I don't know what that pressure is, or what it means good or bad. ??? Any recommendations are appreciated.

IMG-2004.JPG

IMG-1968.JPG

Last edited:
First what DOES it do? Click? Then power i going to at least the starter. If nothing then no power to the solenoid OR a bad solenoid. If it were a locked anything (cam or oil in cylinder etc) the starter would strain under the load.

Starter spins fine when the gears are removed. With the gears installed, starter doesn't spin. There's a lock somewhere.

spinning from the key correct (stock wires)? Not from jumper cables? If yes at least you are getting juice just not sure of how many amps. In other words if a weak battery (yeah I know it's new) then even a slight load would lock up so what IS it doing? Clicking? Moaning? Nothing? If nothing then weak amps.

There's a lock somewhere.[/QUOTE]

If a good bit of oil got in the cylinder you would get hydraulic lock. Fluid doesn't compress, but you would get some sound form the starter.

Sure a lot of trash in that lower venturi.

Pull the plugs and turn the engine over manually. If it's locked up try turning it in the opposite direction a bit and back the normal way. I'd spin it around a few times before I attempted the starter again.

It's unlikely that the engine hydralocked, as it would take alot more than 4 qts of oil to do that. If you somehow added way, way too much, and did hydralock it...it's fekked.
As said, you can't compress a liquid, so, rods bend, pistons break, and an engine rebuild is needed.
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet either. Especially since you rode it, otherwise it most likely would have locked up on start up.
Do what Doomz suggested and let us know if the crank turns with the plugs out.
If it does, and it should, then it didn't hydralock.

Back