drywall expert ?

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
hey doods....I have a hole in my roof.....shiddy huh .

O well , what can ya do ?

Question.....will dywall dry out an' be TOTALLY an' COMPLETELY O.K. ?

My expensive textured ceiling now has water marks .

New roof...no problem . week after next .

Do I hafta re-do my living room ceiling ?

I dont want mildew in my house.I dont want mold in my house. I dont want.....

My lil housemouse just called me into the livingroom , an' now a grown man wants to cry......

"I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in,an' stops my mind from wondering"......John Lennon .

heheheheh.....hav a DRY 1.....RSD.

Mikey_D.gif

1st thing, stop the leak. 2nd go to a rental place and get a dehumidifier, if you can place it in the atic, great, if not just run it for a couple days in the living area and run a fan up in the atic. Also a ozone generator machine would help kill any mold spores. and unless the drywall is sagging just paint it after it drys real well.
wink.gif
there ther now all better...

Hey-
What Hawaii said might work if it was a VERY small leak, but...

Drywall is just Gypsum and some silicates bonded together...water will break them down into their component parts and they will NOT rebond, therefore they will begin to crumble and flake, not to mention mold. Your paint will bubble and look like sh**. If it's just a small section, no big deal to repair. Utility knife, trip to Home Depot, new peice of drywall, and some mud (Joint compound, that is), and especially with a textured finish, noone but you will ever know it happened. PM Mikey D, he's putting up some rock now, and will tell you how easy it is to do...

Now, since I haven't yet had the pleasure of being flamed by you, allow me to be the flamer...

GET OFF YOUR LAZY FUGGIN" A** AND DO IT YOURSELF, YOU LAZY FUGGIN BASTARD

jump9.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

Hey-
What Hawaii said might work if it was a VERY small leak, but...

Drywall is just Gypsum and some silicates bonded together...water will break them down into their component parts and they will NOT rebond, therefore they will begin to crumble and flake, not to mention mold. Your paint will bubble and look like sh**. If it's just a small section, no big deal to repair. Utility knife, trip to Home Depot, new peice of drywall, and some mud (Joint compound, that is), and especially with a textured finish, noone but you will ever know it happened. PM Mikey D, he's putting up some rock now, and will tell you how easy it is to do...

Now, since I haven't yet had the pleasure of being flamed by you, allow me to be the flamer...

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif
I-firm-a-tive!

Instaling over 7000 square feet of the stuff.

Easy as pie.

Just find some nice spanish speaking folk & pay them to do it!
wink.gif

But seriously, if you have water damage the big problem is black mold (Not kidding) Very toxic stuff, resperatory illness etc. I personally think (& so does my wife) that is what contributed to her (Tammy) getting pneumonia.

Cut out all water damaged rock. Spray framing (2x4 structure) with 50-50 bleach/water mix let dry thougoughly, reinstall sheetrock, retexture surface.

Home De-Pot has an aresol can of spray texture for around $7. will match orange peel or knock down texture really well.

Good luck RSD.

Take pictures!

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

ahhh the voice of....INSANITY .

Finally , somebody on this board who has a mutha fuggin sense of humor . Somebody that doesn't talk all cuddily . A guy who ISN'T sensitive to my needs . Somebody who talks like men are suppose to talk . I don't want someone too hold my hand an' wipe my azz . I want the straight dope on fixing a leakin' fuggin roof .

Thanks "Last n' Phoenix" , good advice .

P.S. you keep up those kinds of posts an' people are gonna think yer a miserable bastid , that or your just some swinging bobo with low tollerance an' a shiddy sense of humor...like me.

Hav a good 1.....RSD.

ok....the plan...go BIG , or go the fug home, Right !

based on the advice I've been givin' so far .

Hawaii....good idea, Rubber dont want no mold , one ozone machine comin' up .

Fastin in Phoenix (cause he's a fat azz) all good points . Rubbah is gonna bring down the roof....an' the fuggin' ceiling.
I'm gonna tear out the whole fuggin' thing if I have too...

'cause now I'm all paranoid thanks too :

Mikey D's comments .mikey, sounds like good advice,I'll do it.

Twisted...I'll toss up the b4's sometime today...the afters in about 2 weeks .

What do you guys think about a LIFETIME roof ?
Aluminum,Ziplok,fiberglass,cedar....or my personal favourite Rubber Shake .

What would you put on your roof . Cost is not an issue . I will sell my soul to the devil to finance this project...
oh shid , I did that last month to buy Busa parts .

hav agood 1....da Rubbah.

inside or outside? Nevermind...dumb question. Go with something like asbestos for your ceiling....nice big glops of the stuff. Make sure you don't seal it either. While yer at it, you could get some "Radon" infused paint.....let that shid dry up and add three more coats.

Seriously, though: I'm not too sure what I would do. Ya can rubba the thing if it don't get too hot or too cold where you stay. If it hits any of those extremes....I say FUG it, build a shack, and live happily ever after.

Just my .02...and yes...I know I'm not making any "cents". Cents? Sense? Haha...ain't it funny? No? Damn!

Must be a tough crowd tonight....

Hey RSD.....just get some 30 year shingles and be done with it. The lifetime roof aint worth the cost. Besides, how old are you?? Hell...in 30 years I'll be dead so who cares after that!

Hey RSD.....just get some 30 year shingles and be done with it.  The lifetime roof aint worth the cost.  Besides, how old are you??  Hell...in 30 years I'll be dead so who cares after that!
30 year shingles & the thick tar paper. Don't get that thin sh!t, worthless! If it a big roof, use that to justify buying youself a nail gun. They're lotsa fun!

Neighbor has chickens. (And a cow, goats, horses, pigs & sheep) anything on my side of the fence is fair game!

dood....you're the kinda neighbor I wouldn't trust my dogs with...or my sheep, chickens, llamas, gnus, antelopes, elephants or anything moving for that matter.
biggrin.gif

OK time to thread-jack Rubba's thread...

This is downstairs, 3 bedrooms, bathroom, laundry/utility room.

Downstairs.JPG

Upstairs is OUR BEDROOM!

(I like to think of it as Romper Room!)
wink.gif
cool.gif

This kneewall is in front of the stairs.

Note the cool arched window.

Upstairs___kneewall.JPG

This is looking into the bathroom & at the pot-shelf. Yes, that is what it is called, no you do NOT put your weed in there!

Note the cool-wazoo wall pockets, prewired for surround sound! The bed goes between the two pockets on the right. You cannot see the window on the right.

Upstairs___bathroomJPG.JPG

A view of the pot-shelf and walk in closet (also access to the bathroom). There will be no doors upstairs (like to the bathoorm or closet). The bottom of the stairs has a 4' pocket door and of course there is a full skylight door (with cool-wazoo behind-the-glass mini blinds) to the balcony.

This is comming up on being a 2 year project. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Although the inspector just noticed that our plans & permit were for a 24 x 26 one story. We are 26 x 32 two stories.
cool.gif

He (Friday) called a screeching halt to the work until we submit (and pay for) modifications to the permit.

Upstairs___potshelf.JPG

This is comming up on being a 2 year project.  I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Although the inspector just noticed that our plans & permit were for a 24 x 26 one story.  We are 26 x 32 two stories.  
cool.gif

He (Friday) called a screeching halt to the work until we submit (and pay for) modifications to the permit.
oh what a fuggin bastid!!! Fuggin' prick! Why couldn't he at least let the construction continue while you guys clear up the permit crap? I mean, I'm sure you guys would pay for it anyways, so what's the biggy?

So sorry, Mikey.

This is comming up on being a 2 year project.  I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Although the inspector just noticed that our plans & permit were for a 24 x 26 one story.  We are 26 x 32 two stories.  
cool.gif

oh what a fuggin bastid!!! Fuggin' prick! Why couldn't he at least let the construction continue while you guys clear up the permit crap? I mean, I'm sure you guys would pay for it anyways, so what's the biggy?

So sorry, Mikey.
<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>CYA!</span>

I just went to the home show here in St. Louis yesterday. I looked at the lifetime roofing. 50 year guarantee, period. Parts labor etc. 30 year shingles have only a 7 year guarantee, then its only parts. When I build I'll be using them. I have thought about the tile piping roofs. They last forever, and look nice. The down side is, I wouldn't want to be on the roof for anything after they were installed. I'd be afraid of breaking one or slipping and breaking me.

As far as the drywall goes. Best solution for me is to call a contractor. I'll work at your house all day every day, but when it comes to doing it myself at home..... I'll let some one elese do it. I hate working on my own home. I'd rather pay a contractor, have it done in 1/3 the time, and if I don't like it they can fix it.

Later,

Steve

Hey RSD.....just get some 30 year shingles and be done with it.  The lifetime roof aint worth the cost.  Besides, how old are you??  Hell...in 30 years I'll be dead so who cares after that!
30 year shingles & the thick tar paper.  Don't get that thin sh!t, worthless!  If it a big roof, use that to justify buying youself a nail gun.  They're lotsa fun!

Neighbor has chickens. (And a cow, goats, horses, pigs & sheep)  anything on my side of the fence is fair game!
Yep, 30 year asphalt or fiberglass and use 30lb paper.

Back