Dropped Her

Dr Geekenstein

Registered
I finally cut my farings for frame sliders. Hated to cut her beautiful body, but it only took 1" diameter holes. Installed them Saturday and had to test them. So I put my Busa down gently on her new sliders to see the effectiveness of them. They are custom made sliders, 3/4 flat to flat stainless hex stock, 1" dia around corners. Counterbored for a 10MM X 1.25 TP X 160 MM Long Socket Head Cap Screw. Surprising to me that the sliders completey kept my complete fairing, cans, bar ends, mirrors.....everything....from touching the ground. Put them on front and rear, 5 " front and 4" on the rear. Here are pics of them.

sliders.jpg

MacGyver, they are custom made.

Plans are to either paint them with decals, or put 1 3/4 dia delron stock with carbon fiber over them. Had someone suggest I paint them the same color as the Suzuki on the tank and Kanji on the side (what color is that on the 03 anniv ?) The delron would be fitted to the fairing, so the hole will stay 1" in the fairing side. I could just polish the stainless, it shines ! Haven't decided what to finish them with.

I have a feeling if the bike is dropped they are going to bend quite easily and prolly cause your mirror to be broken off....
wow.gif

I agress with fast i think if the bike falls them might bend and even when it goes down what the tensil strenght of them things.

I'm glad they kept ya bike off the floor but man that was a nuts test i hope you had someone help you or the busa on a winch just in case they wasn;t long enough
rock.gif

I agress with fast i think if the bike falls them might bend and even when it goes down what the tensil strenght of them things.
They are very tough material, stainless steel hexagonal stock so they are way tougher than aluminum which is what most sliders are constructed from (or delrin and a bolt). The bolts I used are the highest grade available (12.9 rated hardness) So they will do at least as good as anything out there on the market. Thinking I will get some 1 3/4" or 2" delrin round stock and bore a 1" diameter(blind) hole in them and press them onto the hex stock for the front ones anyway.

As for the test laydown, I had a friend there to help lower her, and another observing what was hitting first, so there was no real risk involved setting her down. I felt the need to "dry run" test them just because I originally designed them a little long in case I could cut some length down if they were too long. Originally I took a large piece of plywood and simulated the ground with it, bike was vertical and I pushed the edge of the plywood to the tires and lifted it to the point of close contact with the plastics then measured what length I would need to avoid total contact with anything on the bike except the sliders.

I will certainly post here if they ever get "used" but I hope that day never comes !

Back