Driveline slack?

megawatt

Registered
So I discover during my last track day that I really hate the driveline slack of my Busa. When I am off the throttle setting up for a turn, then I get in a turn I have to concentrate on how fast crack open the throttle. Because I have a definite slack in the driveline.

I can easily detect it on city driving when I go 0% throttle and then just crack the gas there is a split second where the chain, transmission, cush drive compresses and the bike actually "starts" to pull. I really never cared when riding on the streets but it is different when you are taking a turn at 80 mph at the track and are leaned over.

I found a video of busas on the track at Miller sports park http://media.putfile.com/Hayabusas-at-the-track
at time 12-13 seconds you can hear the drive line tighten up and "click" when the rider gets on the gas. My cush rubbers are fairly new (3000 mi) and are not worn. My chain is at the proper tension and it is a new EK ZVX2. I know about the after maket stronger cush rubbers and I will upgrade to them soon.

My question is do ALL Busas have this slack?
Do the aftermarket ones from Smithabusa or Schnitz remove all or most of this slack?

Hey that's us in the video at Miller last year!!!
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

I've always just lived with my slack, but I'm interested in the aftermarket cush rubbers too.

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Since I did alot of work eliminating d/l slack in my bike, I'll respond with my results....basically all equal in terms of effect:
Chain...for high performance, must be perfectly adjusted
suspension...same
cush drive...MAJOR improvement when I went to CZ wheels with tiny hard cushrubber (I assume OEM replacement from Schnitz or Smithbusa would have same results)
THROTTLE CABLE ADJUSTMENT...I put this in caps because so many people need to remove that 1/32 to 1/8" SLACK that they have gotten used to on the street (pinch your twistgrip between thumb and pointer finger and if it moves at all, tighten your cable up, stop just before you achieve preload on the cable).

My bike virtually has NO transitional slop when I'm way down in a corner, I hope this info helps. BTW, it makes the bike so much more fun to ride hard!
Doyle

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

I've always just lived with my slack, but I'm interested in the aftermarket cush rubbers too.
Yea, I figured it was you guys. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you. Just kidding.

I should of booked vacation when you guys were at the "rump" track for Vegas, Vegas, Vegas. I know I could learn more from you guys in ten minutes than I can in weeks of riding.

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Yea, I figured it was you guys.  I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.  Just kidding.  

I should of booked vacation when you guys were at the "rump" track for Vegas, Vegas, Vegas.  I know I could learn more from you guys in ten minutes than I can in weeks of riding.
Keep an eye on the hayabusa.org trackdays forum for any trackdays you might be able to make.  We're doing Miller again this year too.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=SF;f=67

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

After seeing that miller track video I am ready to book vacation to make that trackday, nice big sweeping turns on a REAL track. The classic course here in Vegas that I am running is very technical and not at all high speed but it is not a REAL track. At least I should be able to learn my lines, speed, body position, and technique.
Thx I will keep an eye out.

I know what you mean about the Vegas track. I haven't seen a track layout of a roadcourse inside an oval that I've liked yet.

Daytona, Fontana, Vegas... they're all very stop and go tracks.

The roadcourse tracks(pahrump, miller, buttonwillow, thunderhill, etc) all have very flowing corners, connected corners and are not stop and go types.

Back