Chain Adjustment help needed

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
When you measure your chain slack, on the sidestand, should the slack be taken out of the chain and than measured? Meaning, with the bike in gear - should I roll it forward like Im parking it until it stops and wont roll forward anymore & than measure the chain slack? Also does it matter if the chain is warmed up or cold when measured?

And, I dont have a turbo or bigbore, but running about 173hp at the rear wheel so what is the best number for amount of chain slack for my bike? Thanks for the help. Yes I did a search, but didnt find anything on measuring with or without slack taken up in the chain.

Bike should be in neutral so no tension is on the chain. The chain needs to be cold and is measured by pushing med tension up on the middle of the chains span and then pulling down with the same amount of tension. The measurement between the two is your chain slack, I usually use 1" even as it's right between the two recommendations.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128101153 -->

Thank you very much. I just measured mine an Im at 1", which seems strange. I had it adjusted at 1500 miles and some 6000+ miles later Im measuring 1" in chain slack. I thought I rode harder than that. I dont do quick starts or drag, but do get on the throttle at speed from time to time. I guess Im a punk.
sad.gif
rock.gif

Speeking of CHAINS...........
I'm do for new Chain&Sprockets.........16.000 miles!
Any suggestions?
I am not changing ratio......

Thank you very much. I just measured mine an Im at 1", which seems strange. I had it adjusted at 1500 miles and some 6000+ miles later Im measuring 1" in chain slack. I thought I rode harder than that. I dont do quick starts or drag, but do get on the throttle at speed from time to time. I guess Im a punk.
sad.gif
rock.gif
chains will stretch a bit right off the start when they are new but after they get that initial stretch they don't move much at all.

where is the chain
rock.gif

This is actually a good question since i know alot of younger riders don't even lube their chain let alone adjust it. Chain upkeep will save you money in the long run. Keep her clean and adjusted and she'll last you a while.

Does the amount of chain slack change when you run an extended swingarm? or will the 1" rule still apply? That is something i had not given much thought to since i have just extended mine it would be nice to know.

I know they say to change the front and rear sprocket when putting on a new chain, what if the sprocket look good?

I now that a Chain @ Sprockets develope there own Wear-Pattern.
You should not change one without the other.
I have bought D.I.D. x-ring chains before for other bikes and have been happy.
I was just wondering if someone had used something else that may be better.

sad.gif
rock.gif
I had to adjust mine 3 times in the first 1500 miles. Haven't had to adjust it since and I just flipped 8700 miles today. OK the shop adjusted it about 4000 miles ago when I had the tire changed, but it didn't need it when I took it in.

Back