Dragon bad news

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
I hope this does not happen, anyone know more?

sorry if it is a repost.

NC county to end service on 'Tail of the Dragon' - NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee -

Associated Press - September 30, 2009 8:55 AM ET

ROBBINSVILLE, N.C. (AP) - Motorcyclists in western North Carolina should take note. Beginning next year, emergency help on the Swain County part of the route known as the "Tail of the Dragon" may take longer to arrive.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reported that Graham County is ending its ambulance service into Swain County to respond to wrecks on the well-known motorcycle route on U.S. 129.

The road starts in Blount County, Tenn., and packs 318 curves in 11 miles.

It takes about 22 minutes for an ambulance to get to that part of U.S. 129 in Swain County from Robbinsville in Graham County. It can take as long as 50 minutes to get there from Bryson City in Swain County.

County leaders say they used to get few emergency calls for the route but now get about 30 a year, at cost of about $100,000 annually.

Last edited:
Interesting find. Bad indeed if it comes to fruition. Can you imagine going down there in a bad accident? And having to wait over 50mins! ? ???

Yeah, I heard about this the other day. Yet another reason to be extra careful up there. I'd imagine that some lives which otherwise could have been saved may be lost as a result of this. And only 30 calls a year? That number seems pretty low to me.

County leaders say they used to get few emergency calls for the route but now get about 30 a year, at cost of about $100,000 annually.

I'm confused. Don't people requiring ambulances get billed for this service? Perhaps they need to raise their rates. Or maybe they're just telling half the story?

It is probably mostly a money thing. You have to realize that the economy is in really bad shape and cut backs are going to be seen every where. I remember hearing that NC would be recession proof on channel 11 news. NOT!

I'm confused. Don't people requiring ambulances get billed for this service? Perhaps they need to raise their rates. Or maybe they're just telling half the story?

It depends, maybe your right, they need to raise the rate.
Some places EMS is funded through tax monies and some are not. I would imagine the county pays for the shortfall in funding.

It depends, maybe your right, they need to raise the rate.
Some places EMS is funded through tax monies and some are not. I would imagine the county pays for the shortfall in funding.

Perhaps then someone should produce a study on the amount of revenue the area generates through motorsport related tourism.

I wonder how much it actually cost them to send an ambulance. Most fire stations have personel there at all times (whether going out on a call or playing Xbox) . Their fleet has to be insured regardless of where their district covers. I just don't see the overburden. Sounds like a **** move. The only thing I will be doing in Graham County is :flush: so I can get back on the road. Tax that!

I would do what the ambulance service does here, create a membership... for XX dollars a year, you insure yourself for emergency transport service..

I think Nevada has it available for Air Ambulance as well?

I would be happy to pay a fee yearly to insure service for myself...

Around here you pay for the ride. That's $3333 a ride as stated. As already stated they pay the employee regardless, and have the overhead regardless. It comes down to medical supplies and fuel.

The way I understood it, Graham County was providing EMS to the Dragon per a contractual agreement with Swain County. I guess Graham County leaders didn't think it was worth their while to continue providing service outside of their county lines.

Make it a toll road and give the option of single of multi-run passes, use the proceeds to fund emergency services. I'll bet making 100K\year would be easy.

$3,500 to send an ambulance huh?

Must be nice to be able to pick and choose the area of your country you are willing to provide medical service to. Swain Co. get off your butt, sitting back and saying you "will not offer emergency response" to that area is begging for someone to unnecessarily die.

The fugged up thing is...they are not willing to give you medical response any longer. But you can bet your ass that they'll still be happy to have their local LEO write you a ticket for speeding in that part of town! :moon:

Forget where Ive read it,but basically the article was about ambulance companies shutting down or Cutbacks due to lack of funds/income to stay afloat. This is just an example of it.

I wonder if the fact that they were responding out of their county to help another county out had something to do with it? Curious if they got any financial assistance from Swain County for helping them? The other thing is, if they are responding to a 911 call in another county, it will take one of their ambulances(maybe they only have a couple?) out of their service area for a good amount of time. This would leave citizens of their own county potentially waiting extended amounts of time during an emergency. Swain County should step up and cover their own county without relying on another county to do it for them. Like was said, they are only talking 30 calls per year.

Back