Motorcycle Theft Epidemic?

HiYaBruceA

Registered
After following several of the bike thefts posted on this board, I've added another story below. Even though I wasn't victimized, this is the dealership where I bought my '04 Busa and have it serviced. I've even had guys from there take it from my garage when I was out of town and my wife would let them in. I think I dodged a bullet.

5 Arrested In Southwestern Pa. Stolen Motorcycle Ring
$80,000 Worth Of Bikes Believed To Have Been Stolen
POSTED: 7:21 pm EST December 10, 2009
UPDATED: 7:53 pm EST December 10, 2009

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Five men have been arrested in a southwestern Pennsylvania motorcycle ring accused of stealing $80,000 worth of bikes.

Attorney General Tom Corbett said Joshua Alvarez, 22, of Monongahela, Washington County, worked with four other men to strip and sell stolen motorcycles and all-terain vehicles.

Corbett said Alvarez worked at Bentley's Cycles in Canonsburg, Washington County, and picked his victims based on access to customers' addresses.

Corbett said the bikes and ATVs are believed to have been taken from locations in Allegheny, Washington and Westmoreland counties.

Those involved are also accused of staging vehicle thefts in order to file fraudulent insurance claims, Corbett said.

Zachary Benning 22, of Charleroi, Washington County, was identified as Alvarez's main accomplice in a criminal complaint.

According to the complaint, Benning helped Alvarez steal unattended motorcycles and stole from residential garages on at least four occasions.

In addition to Alvarez and Benning, Adam Wareham, 34, of Hunker, Westmoreland County, Michael Flament, 22, of Monongahela, Washington County, and David Grillo, of Charleroi, Washington County, also face charges, including receiving stolen property and criminal conspiracy.

Some thefts are fraud claims. They are always high when the economy is down. Think about it this way, who are they going to sell parts to when the dealer can't sell the stuff themselves.

Our local stealership has made these claims before but not caught yet. Some people can't pay for thing and have them stolen to collect insurance. Nothing new!

Let's see, that's got to be, say, 10 pissed off owners? I say put them in a room with the owners for about 10 minutes...

Criminals are dumb. Did they not think people would notice when bikes that were bought or serviced at one dealership started disappearing? Time to cut off their hands.

I'll bet most persons in cases such as this end up with minimal jail sentence time, at most maybe a year county time which boils down to a bit over 6 months incarceration. That's right, lock em up for 6 months, just long enough to flush all the drugs out of their systems, feed em well, let em get all rested as well as pumped up and strong. Anyone want to take a wild guess as to what behaviors they will be exercising immediatly after release?

Let's see, that's got to be, say, 10 pissed off owners? I say put them in a room with the owners for about 10 minutes...
I'd pay for ten minutes with the one that got mine.

Bad thing is I believe I know who did it, all I have to do is prove it.

GPS trackers are like $400

They can call you the minute your bike moves & you can track it on google maps. The police can catch them before they even start to strip it.

Problem solved

GPS trackers are like $400

They can call you the minute your bike moves & you can track it on google maps. The police can catch them before they even start to strip it.

Problem solved
Oh believe me while I didn't have the green when I got my new bike it's on the short list for this Spring.

Lo-jack is what it is, but I'm not a big fan

You have to KNOW your bike has been stolen (might happen while you're out of town)

File a police report (takes time)

Count on the auto theft guys (who work m-f 9-5)

& your local police might not have a lo jack tracker after all of that.

Time= bike gone forever
Even a half retarded thief can strip a bike in a day. Or even worse.....locate a tracker & remove it. Once your battery is disconnected, the trackers have a limited battery back up.

Last edited:
The system I was told about supposedly (Meaning I haven't looked into it myself, this is what the dealer told me.) alerts you when your bike moves period. It has a fob that goes with your keys that disables the system automatically, without it there's an alert you get on your phone which you then say OK or not OK.

How does it know it moved without a big drain on the battery? No clue, but it sounds good.

Back