DR Z400S Spanks TL 1000R on Pavement...

OB_Hapo

Registered
....Spanked her BAD...Kieth broke a faring stay on the TL trying to hang...we stayed on recently paved roads, no pot holes, but lots of curves and some bumps...I had the DR leaned over and pushing both ends in a manner I find difficult on the Busa...the TL never had a chance! Uderestimate the DR at your own peril!

Gimme a duke2 and I'll make ya my bittch on that there road son.

Bring her on! Them roads was like highways compared to the stuff I LIKE to ride in....that barge would be lunch too...

Hapo,

Were any changes made to the 400, Tires Suspension Etc. I wonder only because I really like the Supermotard racers over in europe and the DR 400 would be one of my first choices.

Also I have some racing buddies who are upset that I'd rather not take the Busa on the track. And I'd love to prep something like the DR 400 for track racing just to throw everyone for a loop.

If you can give me any feedback on doing this I would appreciate it, would the other racers laugh (well yeah I guess win or loose they would laugh) or could it be somewhat competative against the current racing classes it would compete in?

I think it has potential and may prove to be a very durable bike and fun, if there is more than a snowballs chance of not coming in last at every race.
L8r

Thanks for the info,

I think I will have to do a little more research on the racing competition, the closest track that I visit alot and would race at is Nelson Ledges in ohio, which seems to favor faster bikes.

I would choose a DR 400 as a capable off roader that is street legal ahead of its ability to track race. Its main priority would be getting dirty.

Your riding impression, hapo supports my thoughts that it might be fun and different on the track. All I would need to do is swap tires.

I'm considering this more and more for the 2001 season, call me crazy but I also like YSR50's and the little mini moto pocket bikes. (and Hayabusa's that goes without saying)

L8r

[This message has been edited by Mis4tun81 (edited 07 June 2000).]

...the bike is stock, it was on the way home from it's first service and has about 630 miles on it...the Yamaha or a KTM might be a better race bike doner, but the new DR has some potential as well for sure...the front end gets a bit light over 80 mph, and the air cooled 650 seemed a bit more powerful and better planted, but was not as nimble and a real handfull in the dirt...I was runnig on the stock "Trail Wings" for tires....TL had a good rider, Pilot tires, exhaust and ecu mods, but was oterwise stock, with 10,000 miles on it, running well...

There already is someone racing a Yamaha 400
at Loudon, NH in the singles class. Does relatively well, but Loudon is a tight track with (1) good straight approx. 1/8 to 1/4
mile long.

Back