Diesel's setting the record straight

diesel

Registered
First of all, HUGE THANK YOU to everyone on this awesome board for all the help and support. My recovery is still ongoing but I'm feeling better all the time. Feel free to PM me about details.

I've laid pretty low for a long time but due to some confusion and or discrepancies which have been floating around too long I feel I need to clarify a few things.This is not intended to start a multi-page flame war. I'll say what I have to say and will not be responding to any bs, and further if you were not there or actually saw first hand what happened, please just keep your comments to yourself, since you don't know what you're talking about....

April 23rd I arrived for the spring bash with my friend Kieth (overeasy). We rode everywhere including the Dragon several times tearing it up pretty hard without incident. Many people here can attest to my riding skills which I considered advanced.
On the 25th we met up for the group ride to Hooters led by Ozzy, who did a great job leading as well as spelling out the ride rules beforehand to everyone.Part of that was..."faster advanced riders to the front, slower or riders with passengers to the rear. Everyone go at their own safe pace and the group will take care of itself". Many people can verify this.

It was a beautiful clear morning and after a short while riding, some faster riders took off ahead of the group, I was like 3rd or 4th in line behind Ozzy and Overeasy, and many riders followed with the slower riders especially with passengers hanging back safely.

So not long into the ride we come upon slower cruisers. We all slowed down until we could safely pass them. During this time, I notice someone from the group weaving and cutting thru everone behind me and then cutting around and getting in front of me. All this mind you while we're trying to "safely" get around a group of cruisers.This individual had a passenger and when our group got around the cruisers and got back up to speed he was evidently trying to keep up with the riders in front for whatever reason. It was apparent that this person was riding WAAAY over his limits, weaving wide into corners, sometimes crossing into the oncoming lane taking the curves so wide.

The next thing I know, coming around a curve, he and his passenger have lowsided taking a turn WAY TOO HOT. NO, the gravel excuse is getting old.Several people made that curve no problem ahead of him and there are several accident scene pics showing a nice clean road. Anyway, I come around the curve in a FULL LEAN and there is a motorcycle sideways in my right of way and two riders laying there. There was no steering, braking to be done.

Next thing I know, I'm being airlifted to a hospital 800 miles from home with a pelvis broken in 13 places. No that's not a typo....13. I will add as they are strapping me down in the helicopter trooper H B Hoxit from the NC state Troopers interupts the medics and unaware of my injuries, grabs my arm, lifts it up and sticks a reckless driving ticket under my arm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I get injured AND a major ticket by doing NOTHING wrong.

Oh YEAH.

These are the facts. Not trying to pull any punches on here.

All I have been reading from this individual is "poor me" and how he hit gravel and blah blah. Just admit you were riding like an a-hole and trying to show off and messed up.

To clarify I never got an apology and worse, in the hospital he told me " don't beat yourself up too bad."
-thanks, considering the HELL you have caused me and my family.

Then come on here with " golly gee, when's the next bash guys?"

Shame.

Anyway, just putting the real story out there. Not my "version", the facts.

I won't be checking on this post or reading any replies just saying what needs to be said and I'm outta here.

Thanks once again to the wonderful people on here. You know who you are.

Anyway...

Wow! I was asleep at the switch on this one!

Had no idea you had injurys. Glad you are on the mend. Need anything just call. Sam has my numbers.

r8

atleast your still around. nice of the cop to stick the ticket to you while your on the strecher. what a ****. get better big d.

Sucks dude! I am glad that you are recovering, and I hope that you have a FULL and SPEEDY recovery!

Just focus on healing up.

I am both disturbed, and sorry to hear about this terrible experience.

Sorry about your injuries and hope you get well soon. But, you say,

"So I get injured AND a major ticket by doing NOTHING wrong.

Nothing wrong? You just illustrated the need for NOT going into a turn in 'FULL LEAN' behind such a reckless rider with passenger that had apparently just passed you into the corner. Public road with obvious squids passing dangerously...I don't get it.???

Again, hope you get better fast. In my solo low speed get off a few years back I missed FIVE weeks of work. I even had my bike repaired before I was able to bend my knee enough to ride it! Good luck!

At the end of your dissertation, you say you're 'outta here'. Are we losing you completely, or will you continue to stick around until you're fully healed and (presumably) riding again?

Damn! He's not going to see this, is he?

That's it, I'm PMing him. Pretty classy to not call the joker out by name, eh?

Sorry about your injuries and hope you get well soon. But, you say,

"So I get injured AND a major ticket by doing NOTHING wrong.

Nothing wrong? You just illustrated the need for NOT going into a turn in 'FULL LEAN' behind such a reckless rider with passenger that had apparently just passed you into the corner. Public road with obvious squids passing dangerously...I don't get it.???

Again, hope you get better fast. In my solo low speed get off a few years back I missed FIVE weeks of work. I even had my bike repaired before I was able to bend my knee enough to ride it! Good luck!

I hate to say it, but if you rear end somebody or fail to lower your speed to avoid the scene of an accident it is your fault. It sucks, but that's how it works. If you were driving the speed limit or slower if needed for conditions, you should have been able to slow down and stop. Since there was no chance of braking, your speed would have been wreckless. I hope you heal up back to normal!

I dont want to get into any emotional discusions either but I was there and to give my HUMBLE HONEST "opinion" both have blame here. I did see gravel on the rode BUT it was in the center on the double yellow lines. Was he going to fast>>YES. Were you going too fast>>YES. Did he hit gravel :dunno: Would ea. of you ride differently next time>>I would hope so.

*JMHO

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad deal, gonna take a lot of time but I hope you heal quick as possible.
FWIW, after a wreck I had a few years back, my Careless & Imprudent ticket showed up in the mail a week later.:mad2:

I was the 2nd or 3rd bike behind this crash, so I didn't actually see anything go down, as I didn't come around the turn until the dust was starting to settle.. dodged a few motorcycle parts.. and pulled over to the side. In my head, it could have been anyone of us.. however I know I was riding close to my limits.. and got passed by the rider with a passenger.. which makes me think that was a little too much speed.
Everyone towards the front of the group was speeding.. but it is over. I am glad that everyone lived through it, as we were all very scared at the scene. I know I went through a pack of cigarettes trying to calm down, then followed back with lycan and 99 at an average speed of probably 25 mph. We were all speeding.. well, towards the front of the pack we were. I think all three people injured were good people from what i've read and meeting them that day. Crashes suck.. and they shake us all up.. and I wish you luck in your recovery (physically, driving record, and emotionally).

diesel, great to see you post, I hope you stick around.

I came up on the accident long after it was over, I was the last one out of the gate and let me say, the pack was spread out over about 5miles when I caught up, so I'm assuming there was a vast difference in speed between groups. I heard Ozzy's pre-ride and as you said, he was perfectly clear on how the ride was to be conducted. That road is notorious for high speed runs, I wont comment on the wreck, didnt see anything but the aftermath but I will say when Rock and I went to get the trailer, we took it WAY slow and easy. Loading both bikes up and hauling them off the mountain.... well I hope none of us ever has to do that again :(

Sometimes things happen beyond people's control, other times people are in over their heads without realizing it until too late. I dont know which is the case with this horrible accident, I didnt see it unfold. Hopefully you are healing up and can get back to riding, if/when you are ready. Stick around the site though, would be a shame to see you go.

I hope you don't have any major lasting effects from this tragic event. Having been at the bash, I did hear a lot of chatter about the incident but not much was said to make it seem like your fault. Don't be shy about coming around here to shoot the breeze..

Back