Spent some time on an ST1300.

HMan

Registered
Took my Dad's relatively new ST1300 for the day and put a couple hundred miles on it. Really nice ride. I could actually see myself selling the 'Busa next year and buying one.

Seat has to go. I'm "Corbinized" though and it seems that I'm never happy with a stock seat and every bike I've owned ended up with a Corbin seat.

Other than that, only thing I could see wanting for comfort is a set of foot pegs to stretch my legs ever so often. Its odd but my knees do better on my Busa than they do in the standard position that the ST1300 or my old Concours put me in. Makes NO sense whatsoever.

Power seems weak but then again my sense of speed and power has been heavily skewed by my personal ride. If I step back and try to get away from the current mindset I can say that the ST13 has a pretty dang potent punch. It passes with ease and is truely deceptivly fast. My Busa makes it easy to speed but damn, the ST makes no noise and no vibes whatsoever to tell you "slow down a bit buddy".

Handling was really good. Due to the upright seating posture it's easy to keep my weight off the bars to stay neutral and extremely easy to hang off and just rail through the curves. I do have to say that the suspension is a bit soft so mid corner bumps are a bit unnerving. Didn't have a chance to look but perhaps there is some adjustment room there. The forks actually seemed ok. It was the rear shock that was allowing the bike to wobble a bit when the road dipped. I dare say that with firmer suspension I'd be damn near dangerous. I surprised myself a couple of times on Hwy 62 here in southern Indiana by comparing my exit speeds with the ones I know I'm usually running on my Busa.

The electrically adjustable windshield came in handy when the temps started to drop. Not much else to say there other than that the weather protection was pretty nice. Been quite awhile since I rode anything that offered much of that. The Busa does a good job of keeping your legs dry but everything else is soaked in a good rain and you collect a lot of wind with the stock windscreen.

I didn't get to spend much time riding in the dark but I have to say that the headlights are just plain excellent. I'd love to add a couple of HID driving lights to supplement and see just how well I could light up a curvy road at night.

Storage is nice but seeing as I didn't get to use it much on a day ride I can't comment too much on it. I do know that it was nice to be able to haul my SLR digital in the tail bag (Givi add-on) rather than carry it on my back.

Pretty much sums it up. Not much else to say. Look forward to swiping it again soon.

Thanks for the post. The Bug is wanting to add a stable mate to my weekend warrior!

Good review. I was actually looking at either an ST or FJR, though I have heard that the FJR is very potent. However, I like the "Honda" smoothness. I saw a Ducati 996ST at deals gap that looked very nice, but the maintainence schedule (valves) would put a person in the poor house.

Thanks, Chris

I have actually been toying with the thought of parting ways with the busa and getting a better crusier for long trips. Now that I've been hooked on the GSXR1000 my busa only gets out to go on trips. One of my friends bought a ST1300 and made a trip all the way around the USA last year and said it was a great touring bike but he did complain about the lack of power. He also has a busa so the comparison in power leaves a wide margin.

Tufbusa I guess almost any bike would feel weak after getting off a Busa....but I am sure one would adjust and learn
to use the power the bike does to get the most out of it. ;)
motorcycledaily.com/B]

Why cant they just throw some insane power on that thing, id love one for touring as well!

try the yamaha fjr1300 before you buy a sport tourer .

you will be suprised to find how powerful it is .

it isnt as far behind a bone stock busa as you would think .

Damn , this thread has me wanting a touring bike now.
sad.gif

I have actually been toying with the thought of parting ways with the busa and getting a better crusier for long trips. Now that I've been hooked on the GSXR1000 my busa only gets out to go on trips. One of my friends bought a ST1300 and made a trip all the way around the USA last year and said it was a great touring bike but he did complain about the lack of power. He also has a busa so the comparison in power leaves a wide margin.
And you were 100% correct TufBusa,

The Gixxer 1K is just as comfy as the Busa was ..if not a little moreso.

IMO either bike is good for a 500 mile day but much more than that gets to be alot of work.

A touring bike would be an awesome stablemate to the Gixxer 1k. It wont happen for me though, no way I could afford an ST1300.
smile.gif

Maybe an old 80' Goldwing though....hmmmm

I was actually looking at either an ST or FJR, though I have heard that the FJR is very potent.
Friend of mine owns three bikes at any given time and not long ago he had an ST1300 for several months and several thousand miles. I saw first hand what he could do with that bike. Nothing short of amazing. Then he thought he'd change it up and got an FJR. He had the FJR for less than a month and immediatly dumped it. He absolutely hated it in the curves and said it was horrible compared to the ST.

Now, that being said, he's not the first person I've heard that from. Of course, everyone's opinion is just that.

One of my riding partners has both an ST and a '05 FJR. He put 13000 miles on the FJR this season. He really likes it.

BV and I took a little ride with him in July..he did fairly well keeping up too. I think if he hadn't chosen to ride sweep, he would have suprised us a bit.....

FJR 1300, The #1 sport tour every year since since it came out in 03. Pick up any motorcycle mag on this subject and the FJR 1300 prevails every time. I have ridden both and I'll take the FJR every time. Remember "SPORT" tour, the St is a 100 lbs heavier than the FJR which it will take a lot more muscle to throw it around in the twisties. We do ride Hayabusas, right? Better let just take your Busa and turn it into more of a sport tour by adding hard luggage, taller windscreen, and raise the handle bars up and back on it.

FJR 1300, The #1 sport tour every year since since it came out in 03. Pick up any motorcycle mag on this subject and the FJR 1300 prevails every time. I have ridden both and I'll take the FJR every time. Remember "SPORT" tour, the St is a 100 lbs heavier than the FJR which it will take a lot more muscle to throw it around in the twisties. We do ride Hayabusas, right? Better let just take your Busa and turn it into more of a sport tour by adding hard luggage, taller windscreen, and raise the handle bars up and back on it.
1.) I pay no attention to magazines in choosing what is "best". I've heard more people in person say they prefer the ST over the FJR in the twisties than I've read magazines say the opposite (though I've seen that as well). Generally its due to the ST being more stable.

2.) 100lbs heavier eh? I don't pay attention to weight either. Afterall, as you said, I'm riding a Busa. I've been able to smoke lesser riders on 600s with my Busa in the curves. On the same token, I've been blown away by an old guy with an old BMW boxer (whatever their sport bike with a boxer was back in 2000) and it has half the power and 150 pounds of weight of my bike.

3.) I've done everything to my bike to make it a tourer short of the windscreen and bags. There is no way in hell I will ever get my bike as comfortable as a dedicated S/T machine.

I've ridden my bike a lot of miles and travelled a good deal on it. However, throw a Corbin on the ST and I'd take it those same places and be FAR more comfortable than I was on my Busa.

I'm sorry but I do and will pay attention to the magazines and what they have to say about the comparisons on motorcycles, but as I said before, I have ridden both and I will take the FJR over the ST. I believe "YOU" have not ridden both and therefor "YOU" can not really make a comparison between the 2, now can you? Don't get me wrong, they are BOTH very awesome machines as are all the motorcycles that are being built now days. Sell your awesome busa, buy a freeway going ST, and be happy.

I'm sorry but I do and will pay attention to the magazines and what they have to say about the comparisons on motorcycles, but as I said before, I have ridden both and I will take the FJR over the ST. I believe "YOU" have not ridden both and therefor "YOU" can not really make a comparison between the 2, now can you? Don't get me wrong, they are BOTH very awesome machines as are all the motorcycles that are being built now days. Sell your awesome busa, buy a freeway going ST, and be happy.
So you are going to listen to the magazines? Wow, surprised you don't have that Busa sold and own a new BMW, a ZX-10 (or is it the Gixxer K now), or whatever new bike "destroys" all the others.

Sorry, but I'll listen to people in the real world before I pay attention to the mags. I just buy them for the pretty pictures.

No, I have no ridden the FJR. Of course, I never compared them either. You did. I just stated what I was told by friends of mine that have put loads of miles on both.

Not really sure why you have gotten so defensive about all of this. I just stated my opinion about one motorcycle.

I'm kinda new to this board - my 'busa buddy showed me this thread so I figured I'd offer a reply...

Took my Dad's relatively new ST1300 for the day and put a couple hundred miles on it. Really nice ride. I could actually see myself selling the 'Busa next year and buying one.
Bought my ST on May 21, 2005 (faster, red one). 8,600 miles of
biggrin.gif
's since then!

Seat has to go.
Ditto. Russell is making my new one on 12/12.
Other than that, only thing I could see wanting for comfort is a set of foot pegs to stretch my legs ever so often.
Never really had trouble with this, but there's a guy making pegs called 'highway wings' that fold into the tip-over wings. Those look like a pretty sweet farkle you might wanna turn your Dad on to. Tell him to search for them at www.st-owners.com.

Power seems weak but then again my sense of speed and power has been heavily skewed by my personal ride...
Compared to a 'busa? Sure. I'm not much of a throttle maniac, but it's definitely got some power when you're willing to use it.

Handling was really good... I do have to say that the suspension is a bit soft so mid corner bumps are a bit unnerving. Didn't have a chance to look but perhaps there is some adjustment room there...
No adjustment on the forks - doesn't need it even for my 330#. Rear preload is on the left below the seat and in front of the left bag. Full soft setting from the dealer - I ride with it full hard. Works good for pillions lighter than 120#. Need a stiffer spring for heavier loads.

I drag pegs all the time - just ask DennisH.

The electrically adjustable windshield came in handy when the temps started to drop. Not much else to say there other than that the weather protection was pretty nice...
Love that electric shield. When I hook up my intercom, I can carry on a cell phone conversation without the other person knowing I'm on the bike. I usually leave it unplugged 'cause I don't want people to bug me on the bike.

I didn't get to spend much time riding in the dark but I have to say that the headlights are just plain excellent. I'd love to add a couple of HID driving lights to supplement and see just how well I could light up a curvy road at night.
I don't think they're bright enough - I'm looking for good (and cheap) HIDs.

Storage is nice but seeing as I didn't get to use it much on a day ride I can't comment too much on it. I do know that it was nice to be able to haul my SLR digital in the tail bag (Givi add-on) rather than carry it on my back.
Love it - but I'd rather have the Honda top box. Too bad they don't sell it in the US.

Pretty much sums it up. Not much else to say. Look forward to swiping it again soon.
biggrin.gif
Love my ST!!! Still thinking about a 'busa so I can keep up with DennisH on the straights though. ;)

Can't talk much about the FJR's - I just liked the Red (fastest) ST more than the Blue (slower) FJR.

DennisH says I can't post without a pic, so hopefully there's one down there...

Dan
race.gif

mynewbaby_small.JPG

biggrin.gif

I go on regular rides weekend rides with a guy who has an '05 ST1300. There are Busa's, R6's, and RC-51's on the ride, and when the ST1300 takes the lead, you are doing good just to keep him in sight in the twisties.

At the end of the day when we are aching from our bikes, he's ready for more riding. Comfort, speed, nad hadling. I'm finding it harder to resist buying one.

Here's is the ST1300 rider messing around at a stop.

john_s_wheelie_on_ST1300.jpg

Dang, you guys just about have me convinced to own a ST1300! I'd like to ride one sometime and see just what it has?

I go on regular rides weekend rides with a guy who has an '05 ST1300.  There are Busa's, R6's, and RC-51's on the ride, and when the ST1300 takes the lead, you are doing good just to keep him in sight in the twisties.

At the end of the day when we are aching from our bikes, he's ready for more riding.  Comfort, speed, nad hadling.  I'm finding it harder to resist buying one.

Here's is the ST1300 rider messing around at a stop.
+1

Back