Down 2 In The Front

04LE

Registered
So buddy of mine got confused with the gen 1 gearing of his old bike and ordered a 16 tooth for his gen 2. Going from stock that if he's trying to keep same length how many links should be removed.

Can't wait to feel what -2 is going to be like. I'm -1, -1 so curious the jumps that's going to get on me if he's not spinning. Also wondering what the engine braking will be like.

lol yea it'll be interesting. His old 240 tire bike (gen 1) was -1,+5 I think. He loved the engine braking on that one.

Taking out one link is really 2, and will get it closest to stock length.
Keeping the stock length chain would help keep the front down, as he'll have a little longer wheelbase.
It should work fine.
I guesstamating his rpms up around 1200 vs any previous speed. -1 front is close to +3 rear in overall ratio, and a +3 rear brings rpms up around 600 on a gen2.

A friend of mine was -3 in the front on his 06 gsxr1k...yeah, -3.
That's some tight chain wrap.
It felt like a tractor just cruising, but was a rocket to about 150mph.
Multiple races between him and my flashed/full Akropovich +3 rear gen2, and he always jumped out by at least 3 bikes almost instantly. From a stop or any speed roll. I couldn't even begin to pull back on him until around 150mph. As that's alot of wind, the Busa is more aerodynamic, and he was runnin outta gear.
With his air-shifter, he's been low 120's in the 1/8th mile...in wheelie contests, so the wheel was up passing the tree and not down til he ran outta run off to stop. It also ran 5.8's in the 1/8 actually racing(don't remember mph).
Stupid fun, but geared lower than I'de prefer for daily riding.

I was waiting for you to chime in six. Him and I are both stretched 3 or 4 inches so not too worried about keeping the front down as much. Think he just wants to keep the same appearance as to why he wants the chain shortened a bit.

-3 is crazy. What was the oem front sprocket on that bike?

Looking at gearing commander his gearing would top out around 170.

That should be a photo of stock, my -1;-1 and his -2.

20160224_071431.jpg

I don't remember what stock gearing is on an 05/06 gsxr1k.
I think it was a 17t front stock. That bike was sold a few years back, and still going strong last I heard.
A 170mph top end sounds about right. I know it would go into the high 150s gps'd, and it was close to topping out then.
Gearing Commanders top speeds for specific gear ratios vs bike and rpm are pretty acurate. It's the last 10 or 20 mph toward top speed on anything that really depends on rider size and conditions. And I'm talking the piped, stock internal bikes that most of us ride.
Not your 4, 5, 600 hp turbo with ridiculous power.

It'll be interesting to hear how he likes the +2.

I've been running 16/43 gearing on my '08 since in got it (since Feb 09).. I did have to take 2 links out of the chain so that I had plenty of adjustment, and I Put a speedo healer on it to adjust for the change. I love this combo, its perfect for the drag strip and my commute to work. I have not noticed any more wear on sprockets or chains.. My gas mileage did drop from around 44mpg to around 32mpg,, but who cares about that... lol

we finished up on Sunday getting the sprockets on, oil change, speedohealer, coolant flush and killswitch wired up. I must say I think I want to go down 1 more in the front sprocket on my bike. Deff brought the bike up to the power zone when your cruising in too high a gear and want to go a bit without down shifting. We didn't take any links out since he still had enough space. Speedo was 24% off with the new sprocket. (15.3 from just doing sprocket and 8.7 just the bike from oem. GPS tracked)

Back