Don't forget to scrub em in boys!!!!!!

Maybe that was your releasing agent on the rear tire :moon: when you hit the throttle.:rofl:

Last edited:
I guess at that moment you felt like your 2 hairy balls were stuck at your throat for a few seconds:laugh:

Thats why I take some brake cleaner on a rag and wipe the tire down. But that is after I take some sand paper to it while in gear running and lightly rub the tire to take off the light coating that hey put on the tire. Then I am still careful scrubbing it in.

I run 5-8 new rear tires a season, never had a problem... then again, I start out like a little old lady on every single ride.. cold tires are cold tires regardless of how new they are.. I am also pretty sketchy about secondary streets and debris.. can not always see what is on the ground.... I am equally cautious if all I have been doing is straight line cruising..

moral? maybe none but I think you gotta respect cold tires on a hyperbike ALWAYS...

Just a few issues ago, I think it may have been November's issue of SportRider's magazine, there was an article from on this very subject. I can't remember the guys name at the moment but he is Pirelli's motorcycle Rep. According to the article, Pirelli and all the other major tire manufacturers no longer use a Release Agent on the tread area of their tires. They do use the release agent on the sidewalls to make the fine print come out unscathed from the mold. This is due to modern tire molds being teflon coated.

Also, I had this conversation with Dunlop's Jim Allen at a Jason Pridmore School a couple years back. Jim says the same, that teflon coated molds has eliminated the need for Release Agent and scrubbing the tires in is now a wives tale. And, if there were any doubts they all faded away once I witnessed Jason and all of his instructors who were on Suzuki furnished GSXR1K's shod with Dunlop Qualifiers hit the track with brand new tires, no warmers and ride like the devil himself was in hot pursuit on the very first lap.

Jim also told me that heat cycles were now a thing of the past. According to Jim, all modern day tires will be worn out long before heat has an effect on grip and actually, some tires have better grip as the tire wears.

So the new tire crash seems to be an excuse, not a reality. However, don't dismiss the cold tire contributing to a crash. The mighty busa will spin up any cold tire with little effort. Just ask GregBob who tossed his busa at Infineon on the first lap by spinning up as well as MJN who did the same at Spokane, both on Qualifiers.

The Qualifier is an exceptionally good performance tire but like all tires, heat is essential to performance. :beerchug:

I will while on the stands put the bike in 1st gear and let it idle and use a heavy green scotch bright pad and scrub off the shine from the new tire, on the front I will spin it by hand obviously....works great!

I've never understood the "new tire" theory. According to our wholesale tire Rep., the only place mold release agent is used at all anymore is on the sidewall so the fine print is readable, nothing on the tread at all.
I've never noticed any new tire problems, and if they're the same brand/type of tires, I scuff a new rear tire from edge to edge within 5 miles from the shop. Always makes me wonder when I hear these kind of stories.

Glad you made the save though. Would have been ugly to dump it right in front of a cop.:laugh:

+1 about the theory...

Most likely it was a case of cold tires and you hadn't ridden in a while. I know that I have to ease back in if I don't ride after a few weeks.

Back