Scrubbing in new tires

Tiresmoke

Registered
So how many miles does it take for you folks to scrub in the new factory tires on your bikes? Every bike I've had so far has been purchased used so I've never had to worry about the slickness of new rubber. When I combine the new tires with the serious HP of the busa and factor in that I'll be riding for the first time this season (gotta love Pennsylvania), I'm a little worried that I'll pull out of the parking lot and lowside my way down the street. Any suggestions?
drooling3.gif

I clean my new tires with soap and water. Scrub them with a rag and rinse well.

Then take it easy on the throttle for a while. Say the first hundred miles or so. I try to keep the bike more upright at first and gradually work the lean angles over little by little in that first hundred miles.

New tires aren't like riding on ice. But their grip isn't as good as it will be later. Just treat them as though you are on a dirty or wet surface and be smooth with turns and throttle application. You'll be fine.

Just make sure when you start out in cool days that you go a few miles to warm up the tires. New tires I never had to worry about either using theis method. when you have new tires put on you should watch about 100 miles to make sure they are seeded on the rims correct. then you are off to the races.

Every time, (and I mean EVERY time) I get a new tire(s) I take the bike home and scrub the tire with one of those Scotch-Brite scrubbers to make sure the slippery stuff is all off. And I take it easy on the way home, just don't lean over real far, real fast. After the scrubbing, off to the twisties, and take it easy leaning a little bit farther every couple of turns. About 40 miles and the edges are scuffed.
Remember to check the air pressure after about 100 miles.
Be careful!

I just posted a warning about this in your other thread.
laugh.gif

Guess I should have scrolled down first, huh?

Ride easy, gentle into and out of the turns, and you should be fine.

I think the "scrubbing" the tire down just means "dont get over on the edge to quickly or agressivly" ease into the turn slowly and smoothly, you have to get over eventully to scrub the edge down, different compounds break in differently, you notice in racing they always get a hot lap, they are scrubbing the tire in and warming it up.

what he said, warm the tire well before scrubbing in...

just take your time, make sure they're warm and what ever you do don't feel the need to sweep from left to right like you would warm up a race tire. Just ease into your corners w/low throttle for about a hundred miles or so.

With new tires, always be sure to leave a new black streak on the garage floor so the bike knows where its home is.
smile.gif

just like SOME of them said ... but its not really the NEW rubber you should fear so much, its the release agent . The chems used to get the tire to release from the mold in the manufacture process are what is most deadly .
get that shid off . them warm as usual .

keep the....Rubbah Side Down .

Ah damn, you guys scuffing your tires to get that shiny stuff off while Im right there applying armor all to make them shine. j/k
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
race.gif

Ah damn, you guys scuffing your tires to get that shiny stuff off while Im right there applying armor all to make them shine. j/k

Whats weird is that in cleveland some years back. Guys used to put armor all on the sidewalls of their bikes. For the shine. But none of them were twistie riders either. Looking back surprised there weren't wrecks o plenty!
cool.gif

Tires are slick for the 1st 100 miles.
I disagree a bit. It depends on the rider. My tires are normally slick for the first 20-30 miles. I do like big-ogasm said, and use green scotch pads to clean them off with soap and water. Then, I make sure they are a little warm before getting into it. Next thing you know, I slowly creep to the edge during many increasing leaned turns. Finally, I give it hard throttle at the apex and leaving said turn leaving nice lines.

It isn't as scary as most would have you believe. They still slide predictably (and fun I might note), just more easily. Do like most said, and take it a bit easy on the throttle and the FAST leans.

No worries! Sliding is half the fun. If you aren't leaving massive darkies out of most hairy turns with used tires, then you prolly don't need to worry yourself about scrubbing in anyway!

*climbs down off of soapy box*

-RIP

the tires are only slick until you get over and scrub them down, you can take 1000 miles or one, just be sure to ease into the turn untill they are scrubbed, I get all the way over as soon as I can, first set of turns I find, you just have to tip toe into the lean, then as they warm you can push them harder... easy cheesy japaneesy, I dont have the patience to wait any longer than the first 3 or 4 turns...

Back