Does your child ride with you?

You should always allow your child to do something when they get to that right age to do that activity. I would rather teach my own kids how to do something then the neighborhood dumbass. I use to work for a highschool and saw the kids doing the wrong things, because their parents were to lazy or afraid to show/teach them how do do things. They learned the wrong way to do something from the someone that just has no experience.

Before anyone starts.....yes he does have proper gear and boots now, this is an old photo. In the summer we go to Cork hurling matches all over the country on the bike. Best days of my life with my son.

tonycal.jpg

Only around the blocks nearby, familiar territory. Safety gear a must. Two boys, 10 and 8, the 8 year old will be the gearhead from what I can tell so far, 100mph everywhere he goes already. 10 year old wise like Mom. Interesting how they are so different. Great post!
Posted via Mobile Device

This thread put a huge smile on my face. I have an 8mo old grand daughter which I can't wait until she's 5 or 6. Allready have permission from the parents although the mom thought I was nuts at first (nothing like planning ahead). I had to explain she would be fully geared and only in the neighborhood going 5-10mph and nothing more. I really hope she gets into it.
Someone also mentioned seeing a father and son riding with a harness for rider and child but haven't been able too find it. Seems like a good idea, thought the child would feel safer of not falling off until he or she was comfortable with the dynamics of riding.

I was riding on the back of a Honda with my Dad when I was 5 years old and I loved it!

I have two sons, 7 and 9...hard to get myself in the right frame of mind to take 'em, and even tougher that I can only take one at a time so I just don't do it at all...if I ever do though, they will be well-dressed in the proper riding gear for safety, period...

As for what others think? Screw 'em...I tossed infant seats in the backseat of a convertible Mustang and got the nasty stares, didn't care. Have fun in life and let your kids have some fun. Doing things like that are no more irresponsible than feeding crap to your kids 24/7 or planting 'em in front of the boob tube 15 hours a day. Get out and live life... :thumbsup:

Hells yes.Id rather I teach him than learning the hard way. And please hold off the wheres the gloves comments. He allready wants a bike in the worst way. Hes been rideing with me since 5 years old.

Sorry cant do it.
Wheres the durn gloves, jackets and boots...:poke:

Last thing you want is to hear your kid scream as they pick gravel out of his elbows or back !

.....a little off topic but relevant:
I think Education is a much better response to kids wanting to ride. Just saying NO! will get them in more trouble later...ie: at a friends house that has a bike....you know send them underground! I rather they learn from me or in my sight in the backyard on a dirt bike.

If you just ban it they will forsure not have any experience or skill when the oppurtunity happens, and it will and it will be out of your sight and your control!

From 7th grade on, my parents supported my and my brothers bike passion with dirt bikes/enduros and motcross.......but the rule was Dirt AOK, but No Road Bike until Jr. in High School. I guess they must of thought that if we survived that long we deserved a Road Bike!
I gained alot of experience and learned to respect the power in those off road years that made me much better prepared for the road.

...and if they had been "No bike-No Way!" parents?...well like most adolescents I would of found a way to get on one... period!

I can not understand your worries. Why do you care what others might think about your decion to let you child ride with you? On the other hand, if you really are not sure about this than it would be better to wait that moment and do it. The most important is to be free on you decision and do not get worried about public opinion. They will always found something wrong.
I'm a big child (with one child) and here (my daughter) once she get a little older. She is 3 years old and I’m sure that it is not the right moment yet.

i took my nephew out on the busa when he was 6 for a ride around the 'hood. i remember him asking me "hey unckle, does this thing go any faster...?":laugh: and i said no. He's 9 now and he knows i lied to him :laugh:

well, i can say that its hard for me to leave the house by myself. when i start my bike my two sons run out the door with helmet in hand. my boys are 12 & 13 and they both are deciding on who get my bike when they are old enough to ride on the highway. they both know the do's and don'ts on riding passenger. :thumbsup:
just make sure if you decide to ride a small passenger, :rulez: safety first.

best helmet.jpg

My Nephew (10) has been on the Busa once. We rode around Milwaukee all night. That was last summer. Not one week goes by that he doesn't talk about it.

Its a catch 22 with me and having him ride with me. His dad died riding with me so its kind of awkward for me, but he loves it.

My Nephew (10) has been on the Busa once. We rode around Milwaukee all night. That was last summer. Not one week goes by that he doesn't talk about it.

Its a catch 22 with me and having him ride with me. His dad died riding with me so its kind of awkward for me, but he loves it.

I understand where your coming from GsxrBots, My oldest niece is 5. And my 2 yr niece has NO FEAR like here Daddy and Myself. I can tell the younder one is going to be a HAND FULL..

My sons have since informed me that they don't want to ride. They ride dirtbikes, but they tell me all of the time that they'll never buy motorcycles. They're only 9 and 11, but part of me wonders since splitting with their father, if he isn't feeding them his opinion on riding and that they shouldn't do it. It's a catch 22 for certain; I'm actually OK if they never ride, BUT I worry that Dad's telling them things about my riding, that I shouldn't be doing it, etc...

So, neither of my boys have ever been on the back of a bike...sometimes I wish they were in to it, other times I'm thankful they're not...

My granddaughter turns 2 in August. Only 1 more year to her first ride.

Right now I don't know which is funnier, her sitting on my bike making bike noises or the big grin she gets when I crank it up and let her make the real thing!!:laugh:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Before my cruiser went into the corner of the garage with a bent shift fork, I used to take my daughter for rides to school, soccer, and just out for fun. We started when she was six (she's 8 now). She could rest her feet on the pegs with enough bend in the knee to be worth a damn, and she was able to hold on well enough and be attentive enough that I had no issue taking her for a ride. What my neighbors thought never factored into my thinking at all. They live next to me and we socialize on occasion. That's the extent of our relationship. My daughter's mother is dead-set against her riding with me, but that's just one of many reasons we aren't together anymore.

I did, however, get pulled over by a State Trooper in a 7-11 lot looking to write me a ticket for something. I took my daughter with me to spray the cruiser off at the car wash, which is only 3 or so miles from the house. We weren't speeding, had all the required PPE, and my papers were in order. He passed us going the other direction as we were pulling out of the car wash, whipped a U turn and came after us with the lights on. He started writing me a ticket for speeding and tore that up when I mentioned we were actually just pulling out of the car wash when he turned around, and then he wrote up a warning instead (for speeding) and told me I shouldn't have my daughter on the bike. I was 35 years old at the time, my daughter 7. I thanked him for his opinion and disagreed respectfully. There is no minimum age on the books as far as I know in my state. That always struck me as bizarre. He was pretty young, probably new on the job. The best I could come up with was just that he thought she was too small, though he had nothing but an opinion to work with.

I don't take my daughter on the Hayabusa. She's not really tall enough to see around me, and I don't want her hanging off in an attempt to do so. We still tool around some on the old '81 CM400 I keep around while I debate fixing/selling the cruiser.

I have no judgement against those who ride their kids or grandkids on motorcycles, have fun.

Personally for me, riding a car without a safety belt is a risk, riding a motorcycle is a higher risk and I never had the courage to risk the lives of those I need to care for.

Hyper responsible parent here.

I stopped riding motorcycles when my first was born and started riding again when my second (last) finished college.

The result:

1.) I stayed alive and was there for them, to help them both get college degrees and do well. They both have excellent careers today.

2.) My girl wins national cycling (bicycling) champs and rides track on a CBR600.

3.) My boy won't touch two wheels, but has fun in his new Camaro ZL1.

4.) They both do well enough to buy their toys cash, so I think they are grown up now and I can afford to do crazy things on two wheels once again.

jellyrug said:
I have no judgement against those who ride their kids or grandkids on motorcycles, have fun.

Personally for me, riding a car without a safety belt is a risk, riding a motorcycle is a higher risk and I never had the courage to risk the lives of those I need to care for.

Hyper responsible parent here.

I stopped riding motorcycles when my first was born and started riding again when my second (last) finished college.

The result:

1.) I stayed alive and was there for them, to help them both get college degrees and do well. They both have excellent careers today.

2.) My girl wins national cycling (bicycling) champs and rides track on a CBR600.

3.) My boy won't touch two wheels, but has fun in his new Camaro ZL1.

4.) They both do well enough to buy their toys cash, so I think they are grown up now and I can afford to do crazy things on two wheels once again.

Amazing how minor sacrifices can have such huge rewards! Congrats to you and your kids:thumbsup:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Very well said, and i believe this was a great decision. But try do not see dangerous everywhere. Riding with moderate speed and following all safety rules can keep away from any injury.

My 12 year old rode up on Pops Busa for her first day of school this year(she was on top of the world) do not care what the others think! Full gear on and I do not goof around, as I would not with either my kids or my wife or for that matter any other passenger .

I don't have kids so I probably shouldn't opine.... My dad didn't ride but some of my fondest memories are of sitting next to dad on the Bench Seat of the old Pontiac, (cars don't have bench seats anymore, do they?) he would squeeze over to the door and I would scrunch up next to him behind the wheel and "drive". I can only imagine what a bonding experience it would be to "ride" with Dad or Mom...but safety first. I'm pretty sure I've seen belts or harnesses to keep the little on the bike. A good intercom should be a must. And of course dirt riding gear comes in all sizes...

Back