Does your child ride with you?

06Busaking

Registered
Just curious at what age your children are/where before you let them go on a ride with you. Have you ever had any dirty looks?

My son is 6 and once in a while on a nice day I might take him a block and a half down the street and back. I get worried at what my liberal neighbors might think. (My neighbor two houses down has already told me that her daughters will NEVER ride on the back of a bike because it's dangerous.) Now that my sons in school and the school is less than two blocks away I'd like to give him a ride to school so that I can ride the bike to work, plus how cool would that be showing up to school on the back of dad's bike?

I wonder what all the other more sophisciated parents (or even worse the Principal and Teachers) might think, even though they don't realize I live 18 houses down from the school..---The school is on the main street, so I do have to actually pull out of the neighborhoold onto a 4 lane road, then immediately into the school less than 1/2 a block later.

Opinions, thoughts?

Last edited:
If your kid is full geared and can reach the pegs I would be okay with it. :beerchug:

I don't have kids but my dad took me out on the weekends with him when I was 6.

Wife will not let Kathy ride. Kathy desperately wants to go.
We live 3/4 of a mile from her school and same as you say it would be cool to her as an 11yr old to ride up on a motorcycle for school.
Shes my step daughter and both wife and real father do not like bikes really.
Adam revvs daddies bike as often as he can but is still too small at 4 to go for a ride.
Hes mine and will ride as soon as he can hold on, we dont care what mommie says..:laugh:
Here in Fl I do see kids on bikes but they need to be protected well as I'm sure some deputy would not be happy to see a toddler on the back with no lid.

Very funny, this subject just came up recently in my family.
I am a daily rider and have taken all three of my girls to school at one time or another. The youngest child to ride with me was about 4 yrs old, I did not do it often but sometimes it was necessary! (Less than 4 they rode in front)

They all loved it when I pulled into the school parking lot and everyone is looking and admiring them on a bike.

The youngest is now 12 and I have been riding her to school on the Busa for the last year and you would not believe the looks and admiration from everyone!
I have not had one person tell me that it is not right. The most common comment is "That is so cool", and my girl loves to hear that.
I guess she was a natch, as I was riding two up with her mother at 8 months pregnant. Not kidding.
Bubba

I hear that alot from the internet searches I've been doing. Problem is that what was socially acceptable 15-20 years ago may not be now.

agreed .
as a kid my dad tooled me around Nashville on his Venture.
We cruised around litening to Neil Diamond.
Not the same now.

Same reason I dont whack Adam a good one in public like my dad used to me.
Some folks would not understand.

i take my daughter riding all the time when the weather is good. i don't personally live my life based on what others may or may not think is acceptable. make your choice based on your opinion whether he is safe or not. im not saying take the child for a ride, i am saying make your own choice based on your own feelings. best of luck with your decision! :thumbsup:

Don't care what the neighbors think...I could nitpick about the way they're raising their kids anyway. Both my 12 and 6 yr old ride and have for the past 2 years. Always have had a helmet on along with jacket and gloves and jeans. They've asked to ride in shorts but have asked enough now to know what the answer is going to be. Both of them love going around town for rides - the youngest is a little daredevil as I'll catch him every now and then peeking around me and waving at me in the mirror. :laugh: I just reach down and tap his hands to remind him to sit up straight and hold on tight. They both have already asked for a motorcycle when they get their license. Riding Buddies!!! :thumbsup:

Well, I may be liberal, but I'm far from sophisticated, so don't know if I'm qualified to answer :laugh:

Honestly, if you feel safe with it and the kids have gear, then who cares about dirty looks?

I ride my kids all the time, some of our funnest times have been out exploring on the bike(s). I have even rode both my kids on the autobahn when I was in Germany. Its all relative. If you didn't do thing in life because other people perceive it as dangerous, there would'nt be much to do at all. But thats just me....:thumbsup:

I've ridden with both my children starting them as soon as i could. as soon as i thought they had figured out the "hang on for your life" thing. started both mine on a side hack 1st, then moved them up. my son actually rides better on the Hayabusa than my Harley. his feet reach the pegs better. i still worry about him and am in the process of riggin up a nicer sidecar for him to ride in. oh yea, he's 7. started him at about 5, goin for short rides. use your best judgment its your kid. and gear up, boots, gloves, leather, leather, Kevlar, eye protection. if you wear it, your kid should too.
don't play in to the saftey crat BS.
atleast your not this dad

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2 blocks that he would be riding on the back of the bike to school is a good distance and as long as he is well protected, you should take him to school on daddy's bike. Both of my nephew's are 7 and have been on the back of both of my bikes for short rides. They both love it. My buddy Jason's son, when he was around 2 1/2, is when I took him for his first ride. I would put him between me and the tank and he would wear his little sunglasses. It was always to the end of the block and back. I wish I had the videos of when we used to do it. If you listened real close, you could hear him begging to go around the block. The 100 feet to the end of the block was good enough for him at this age.

Just want to add my 2 cents, I have a best friend that was in the same place, He would ride his son Nick everywere... I do still remember the fights at the funeral home he was a great rider till the lady down the streat pulled out in front of the bus turning into the school and T-boned them RIP nick. My friend his dad still is in rehab and surgerys, Some times you can do nothing they were going 30-40 mph we use to question if it was safe...Well I can say I will put my self at risk but I will never come home to the empty room cause I wanted the kid to look cool go buy him a dirtbike... I am not starting a debate but this was all true my best friend down the road...

ATGATT Both had on gear the helment my friend had on I bought him and got him to use saved his life I am sure. Nicks helment still looked ok as he has it on a mantle in his house as a reminder...

Don't care what the neighbors think...I could nitpick about the way they're raising their kids anyway. Both my 12 and 6 yr old ride and have for the past 2 years. Always have had a helmet on along with jacket and gloves and jeans. They've asked to ride in shorts but have asked enough now to know what the answer is going to be. Both of them love going around town for rides - the youngest is a little daredevil as I'll catch him every now and then peeking around me and waving at me in the mirror. :laugh: I just reach down and tap his hands to remind him to sit up straight and hold on tight. They both have already asked for a motorcycle when they get their license. Riding Buddies!!! :thumbsup:

That's awesome :agree:

We live in a very quiet residential neighborhood. I sometimes take my 3 year old for a 5mph ride through the hood (on the side of the road). He loves it.
I'm not too concerned what neighbors say, as I'm sure if I looked into some of their activities, I might find a little hipocracy...

Find out what the minimum age is and protect your child with the proper safety gear and a very gentle throttle hand.

BE CAREFUL!

I started taking my son for rides around the neighborhood when he was 5. He was between me and the tank. Once he got tall enough to put his feet on the pegs, I used a climbing harness to secure him to me and would take short rides on some of the back roads in my area. Always in full gear. Don't worry about what the neighbors have to think just make sure you are as safe as possible. If you live your life based on other people's opinions, you are going to be miserable. Enjoy your kids and be safe.

there will always be someone to judge your actions what ever you do , personally it dosnt worry me what they think , my kids rode with me when they were young , had the gear could touch the pegs , no problem :rulez:
you should have heard the verbal i got off a stranger about 8 years ago for buying my daughter a cell phone for her 10th b,day

My kids started riding at age 4 or 5 in front, just around the block.
My 14 year old son is too cool to be seen on the back of Dad's bike, but my 12 year old daughter still loves to ride. Been taking here to school (5 miles) or picking her up a couple times a month since she was in first grade.

Maybe because this is New Hampshire, (where "Live Free Or Die" is the State Motto...and no helmet law for adults) but all I ever get from parents or school staff is...Cool! or a big thumbs up!
Do wish I had a back rest for her.....always felt she was more secure on my last two Kaw Concours than the Busa!
So play it super safe if your kids ride with ya, easy on the throttle and obviously Helmet.

Back