Child riding belt

06Busaking

Registered
What's your thoughts on the child's riding belt? I would like to take my son out to the lakes and maybe the caves this year. I've decided that he's large enough for short rides, but worry that he may let go or fall asleep on longer rides. (More than 5-10 minutes.) I'm constantly overly paranoid that he will let go and am repeatably telling him to hold on tight. Figured the belt might put my mind at ease?
kidonbike.jpg

I also thought about getting the corbin backrest, but then think he will want to sit back. I'd rather "feel" him holding onto me. If he sits back I couldn't feel him loosen his grip.

Its a good idea i think. You will have the peice of mind knowing he will be safe and you wont have to worrie about him falling off.

I think it depends on his age. How old is he? My boys that ride with me are 13 and 12. I dont have worry about them falling off, they squeeze the crap out of me.

I have been debating this myself. I have a 5 year old that is tall enough to reach the pegs, but I haven't put her on the back yet. And I'm not sure that I will..

i have had the kids rideing with me since they were in diapers. (up and down driveway in front..then when could reach footpegs ...behind me...but i never did long rides...

My son's 6. I've decided that riding him around the neighbor is safe enough. I'm also going to talk to the school tomorrow about getting him a locker so he can put a helmet somewhere during the day. (School is 16 houses down and across one main street.) Guess I was also thinking about taking him on further trips around town, but only if he is safe and I am as defensive as possible. I have lived in this area my whole life, so I know how to avoid the 5 point intersections, busy roads, etc. Basically I'd like to take him places on the bike like the park, the lake, etc. but only when I can take trips to places where the possibility of a collision is slim to none. I think my being paranoid about him not holding on would cause more problems than the possibility of any accident... In all honesty these places are only 5-10 minute rides if that, but when taking the safe routes it turns into 15-30 minute rides. I'm afraid that after 20 minutes he might loosen his grip.

Not really looking for a debate on weather it is safe to take kids on a ride or not. I'm more looking for thoughts on the riding belt.

I've been researching it and actually found two different companies that make slightly different styles.

EDIT: The more I look at this thing, the more I think it is almost mandatory to have a corbin seat back. To much padding between the child and adult.

Looks like it's going to be a while until we go on any rides further than school.

$300 for seat back, $160 for riding belt, $150 for gear (not counting helmet)...adds up quick

Last edited:
I did something similar when I rode my son when he was younger. Now he is 14 and taller than I am, so we dont have that concern anymore. Go to your local sporting goods store and see if they have a deal on any climbing harnesses, that my be a better way to go. Otherwise, the belt would be the way to go.

The things to keep them safe while riding with us may get expensive, but the memories that are made are well worth the cost! Hope to see some pics of the kid riding with you real soon.

Back