Does this site need to continue?

smile.gif
Hey Now, I didn't see any Emu's...

Sounds like a pretty resounding YES... To the whole Board staying up question...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098900459 -->

I can't add anything to what everone else has already expressed. We need to find a way to keep this going
smile.gif

It basically boils down to this, for the past 4 years we have been working very hard to add features, stir things up, post and get membership hitting hard and now that I don't have a lot of time do do those things I feel that I am neglecting the site. The board is stagnate in looks, in the past we changed the main site roughly every 3 months and we havent done that in a long time. No new features on the board, no hacks, and NO pictures have been uploaded to the gallery from the members in months. At one point in time I had people knocking my doors over to post videos and images and that has all faded away. The money is really a small small part of what is going on here. I think that most of stems from just having the feeling that the site is fading away. There are 75 trouble tickets that have been opened from folks that are needing some sort of help with the site... Marc, Lori, Kent, Josh, I could go on and on with names of folks that I have come to think of as friends because of this sick twisted thing we call the Inernet. I think that a portion of my concerns stem from not having communications with you all when you have events, I bet if I was able to go to laguna once I would never think about turning the site off. But in all reality I've only met 3 of ya and two came to my house. I just need to make sure that Im not the guy that is broadcasting my own radio station with no one listening... If there is still some good coming from this site then so be it... No charges, no fees, no membership dues.... If you all are telling me that friendships are still being formed and relationships continue then the site continues to meet it's original objective. Rev the reason this comes up every 6 - 9 months is because I go through periods where I don't see any activity on the website as a whole, yeah there are a lot (A LOT -- 14 million hits on the board alone last month) of folks that lurk on the site but activity has died way way down. I might shrink the site a tad and just leave the board up and remove the gallery and videos, chat, email, and banners and just let the site manage itself for awhile...

Thanks for the input...

Doug
aka CAp

I say keep the site up. After all, if it weren't for the new members (myself included), the senior members wouldn't have a reason to post "Did you try the SEARCH function?"

Gotta give those guys a reason to live...
wink.gif

i would be posting pics in the gallery but i must be doing something wrong cause it just not working for me cap the old gallery system worked great but i'm a bit lost on this one sorry about that
wink.gif

From what I get in e-mails the site is truely unique. Only place to get honest answers that have concerns for the individuals. Some questions get asked over and over, but they get answered. All sites have repeat questions each time new people come aboard. Anyway you know how I feel. What ever is best for YOU, works for me.

Cap, The photo gallary is pretty cool, it's just sort of invisible, there needs to be some more obvious links here and there. I do not think that loosing the Videos would be too much of a loss though, Same for the chat, and email. Banners are cool if they are providing some income...

As for the look and feel? The only thing I think the board needs in general is a more comprehensive search function!? I dunno. I wouldn't sweat it too much... Look and feel are not why folks are showing up here I don't think. It's the content that attracts people and like you mentioned... 14 million hits??? That's significant traffic... it's a good thing!

Are these trouble tickets things Ninja Eater Or Myself can Address?
rock.gif
If not, can it be fixed so that Ninja, Cache, or myself CAN address them? Wouldn't phase me much to have to do some "REAL" work around here... I'm willing and just vindictive and twisted enough to make it entertaining...
laugh.gif
If I can help let me know, I'll do what I can as always.

If you need some help, just shout, we'll all do what we can...

Rev

FWIW I've learned alot from this site and it's very knowledgeable members, have met several awesome folks from a group ride organized here, and got alot a well wishes from my recent lowside.  And for that I thank you for having this site, my ride away from my ride so to speak.  I have not yet come across such a site anywhere else with the caliber of this site.  I know you gotta do what you gotta do.
On a side note I'm with Midnight... I have not figured out how to use the other features.

Anyway, Cap, thanks for the site.  You da man!!!  
bowdown.gif

<!--EDIT|04busaVA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098923800 -->

Another new guy here. I hope the site doesn’t go away as well. I'm in it everyday, although I don’t post everyday. I read many, many of the post but do not reply to many because I don’t want to be an oxygen thief saying something just to rack up my post count. I felt welcomed here and have learned a lot in the short time I have been here. I have already bought 3 shirts to try and help out and wouldn’t have a problem paying a membership fee. I paid $20 a year for another site I am a member of (4wd site).
I hope it stays around.
Thanks for the all the hard work.

Mat

Ok, one other thing..... I think it is time to organize a national meet and great and BBQ. Yeah...yeah... I know easiere said than done but I thought I would through that out there...
smile.gif

P.S. I know I'm a newb and all but I'll help out anywhere I can.

Doug,
I stop by here everyday and see whats crackin'! I am still talking to Kent and Lori and keep up with Jester and Big O! Hell I had a hand in giving Doc his name. I wish we could have a no poop get together other than Laguna. But so that you hear it from me. You are all my friends and I am a better man for being able to call you friends! Keep the site going! If it will help I going to buy another street bike. Lo don't copy me this time.

Marc

I think this is a very well organized site. It is easy to navigate and is kinda intuitive. I like this place. It's my first real forum
blush.gif
and I've been lurking over Rev's shoulder since he joined up. I don't think there's anywhere else on the web that has as many nice, considerate people. And pictures of the coolest bike on the planet... in multiple speeds of color!

There's also a lot of really good info and very knowledgeable folks. Would be a shame to lose it
sad.gif

Hey Capt, you gotta leave the site up! This place just has too many great people and is full of incredible information. I am on the site most everyday and try to post at least once per visit. If there's anything we can do to help with the site just let us know. There's plenty of computer savvy folks here so if you ever need anything just let us know.
cool.gif

Does the site need to continue - no.

Do folks want the site to continue - apparently, yes.

Does the core group want the site to continue - I would bet most assuredly yes.

The core group of any internet site usually hovers around the 10% mark. Given an annual membership dues of $25 - not an unusual concept or amount - an annual income of around $20,000 would be the result. Not a ton of money, but sure better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, and around $20,000 more than you're bringing in now. Heck, I send the NRA what amounts to around twenty five bucks a year and I surely don't visit them almost daily.

You and the administrators would have to come up with some snazzy perk of membership - a special icon or something denoting the person as a dues-paying member.

You'd have (i) an assurance that people want to hang out here, (ii) a core group of people to monitor as an indication of membership interest, and (iii) the people deriving the benefit of the site helping to carry the load. Sounds like a win, win, win to me.

Just a suggestion...

Steve

swap over to a free hosted system and remove all burden and cost. there's no reason owners or members should have to pay anything to anybody

No dues or fees, I stated that the first day this site went online. We are here to share with every person not just the ones that have a little extra cash... I know there are a lot of folks that barely make it from paycheck to paycheck. The site will remain free of charge.

CAp

I'm also with Midnight and BusaVA, I've yet to figure out how to post to the gallery, post more than one pic in a post, access the chat or my email account. But the board I visit daily, hit the new posts button, and read every single post that's been posted, seldom responding because I do not have a whole lot of knowledge to offer anyone, but I read and learn none the less.

I enjoy the sarcasm of Revlis, the sweetness of VaBusa, the long winded Thrasher, the very indecisive BulletTrain, the helpfullness of BigBSbusa, the smoothness of PAC
biggrin.gif
, the Emu's, the Barbie Bike, Anna, and so on. Who said this board has nothing to offer? It's become almost as much a part of my daily life as getting up and going to work in the morning.

Hello el Capitan? Hows all this response for ya? pretty cool...
cool.gif

If it just doesnt work out thanx for letting me be a part of this - K

Back