Does anyone know of a better re-set for Gen II gauges?

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
I have re-set the needles on my gauges but am not 100% satisfied. Does anyone know of a better method for achieving a perfect "zeroing" of the needles? The usual method is just not cutting it. Thanks,
Rubb.

Best Ask Shane Gaston

10868072_1563545553883278_4757598542060346402_n.jpg

He is closed now, until further notice

Blue Gauges .com is still around.

I installed some cool faceplates I found. Well,they look cool,fitment was horrid. Anyway,tried to zero the gauges,turning key off,then back on with buttons held less than 5 seconds,etc etc. The gauges sweep,re-set,but not back to where they were (accurate) Fuel warning light comes on,its accurate,indicates 1 gallon left (and there is,proven by re-fueling). Gauge reads 1/3 of a tank left. My temp gauge always reads about 1-2 MM above the halfway point (for years) sure a pinch warmer sometimes but the thing WAS deadly accurate. Gauge now reads 3/4 the way to "boil".
Advice?
Rubb.

I installed some cool faceplates I found. Well,they look cool,fitment was horrid. Anyway,tried to zero the gauges,turning key off,then back on with buttons held less than 5 seconds,etc etc. The gauges sweep,re-set,but not back to where they were (accurate) Fuel warning light comes on,its accurate,indicates 1 gallon left (and there is,proven by re-fueling). Gauge reads 1/3 of a tank left. My temp gauge always reads about 1-2 MM above the halfway point (for years) sure a pinch warmer sometimes but the thing WAS deadly accurate. Gauge now reads 3/4 the way to "boil".
Advice?
Rubb.
did you pull the needles off?
or did you un solder the step motors?

Well that means probably several weeks of down time for my Bus.
That sukks. Perhaps I did something wrong on the install of the new face plates. I can't think of what that might be,I've done this mod before with Gen I's and II's several times. The fix will have to wait.
Thank you gentlemen for the effort,
Rubb.

I'll try it again my friend. Maybe I didn't wait long enough. I also tried another method I found. no luck.
What do you think about post #8 ^
I'm not at my bike right now...View attachment 1629229 my gauges...I hate this bike. :banghead:

:laugh:
Rubb.
When I pulled mine off I had same issue I just pulled them off again and adjusted it plugged in to validate it was on. I didn’t know you could calibrate at that time.

@Mathewrussell52 @GIXERHP and @Vanishing Point
So I got to thinking (insert joke) and I don't like to lose and I like to fix my stuff myself. So I took the gauges off and scratched my head for a minute then set the tach and speedo needles to 3 O'clock and the fuel and temp needles to the half way point. Then pulled the needles off. When I pulled the speedo needle it separated from the base...:banghead: DOH! No worries,got it back together. So with the needles set there,I pushed them back on,but just a bit. I turned them,lifting ever so slightly over the zero posts. Stuck the cluster back together,did the factory re-set and ...wha-la...

20201108_124133.jpg

VICTORY...woot woot. My theory was that upon re-set the needles would bounce harder home off the zero stops and they did.
I tested the fuel level by slowly draining the tank till at 4ltrs/1 US gal the idiot light came on and the needle was pointing where I wanted it to. Key on....

20201108_124157.jpg

Yes I have that much fuel,yes the motor is warm and yes the tach is accurate (just above the neutral light is my shift light which has a deadly accurate digital tach that shows incriments of 10 RPM)
A test ride...:race: confirms speedo accuracy....

touchdown.gif

Thank you gentlemen for your efforts.:bowdown:
Rubb.

Back