Do you remember?

ahhh the good old days
cool.gif

I still have my Big Trax.

I got the new version of the verti-bird last year for Christmas. It lasted about a week and the cable broke. Yes I'm a 230# 38 year old child! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Green Machines had to be the best of the "big wheels". I am looking into getting a Cat Trike (http://www.catrike.com). I wish they would make the standard trike with the rear wheel steering. I'd all ready have one.

In one of my home towns, Knox, PA, we lived on Penn Avenue. The street had a huge hill on it. It didn't get plowed in the winter to give the locals some place to sled ride. In the summer we would ride toys down the street. Everything from Tonka dump trucks to anything with wheels. Fun as hell. And 25 mph on a steel dump truck is a rush.

Later,

Steve

I still have my Big Trax.

I got the new version of the verti-bird last year for Christmas.  It lasted about a week and the cable broke.  Yes I'm a 230# 38 year old child!  Wouldn't have it any other way.

Green Machines had to be the best of the "big wheels".  I am looking into getting a Cat Trike (http://www.catrike.com).  I wish they would make the standard trike with the rear wheel steering.  I'd all ready have one.

In one of my home towns, Knox, PA, we lived on Penn Avenue.  The street had a huge hill on it.  It didn't get plowed in the winter to give the locals some place to sled ride.  In the summer we would ride toys down the street.  Everything from Tonka dump trucks to anything with wheels.  Fun as hell.  And 25 mph on a steel dump truck is a rush.

Later,

Steve
Hahaha! Yeah we used to ride the Tonka Trucks with trailers down the hills!

WOW!!! feeling really old... forgot all about that electronic quaterback, we would sit around for hours playing that dang thing......lol

ALWAYS wanted one of these!!! But, alas, cassettes became affordable around the same time and I got those instead. It was also this 8 track player that forced me to create the world's first WalkMan years before Sony made them. It was a little larger than half the size of a cassette and had little built in speakers. Shoulda been a billionare at age ten...
[also invented the GAMEBOY years before Nintendo and have diagrams to show but that's another story]

blue8track_large.jpg

ALWAYS wanted one of these!!!  But, alas, cassettes became affordable around the same time and I got those instead.  It was also this 8 track player that forced me to create the world's first WalkMan years before Sony made them.  It was a little larger than half the size of a cassette and had little built in speakers.  Shoulda been a billionare at age ten...[/QUOTE]

Got a red one like that but instead of the plunger it has a molded handle on top and a button by that funky 70's track indicator window.  I know that one is still somewhere at my parents house...damn I hope I didn't leave the batteries in it!
wow.gif

[also invented the GAMEBOY years before Nintendo and have diagrams to show but that's another story][/QUOTE]

There's a guy that makes portable versions of game systems and old computers.  Uses all the boards from an original unit by cutting them down and "sandwiching" them into custom cases.
Did your design look anything like this portable Atari 2600?

PictureX.jpg

And don't forget this educational toy! The ever so inquisitive 2XL robot! With the 8-track like cartridge system! Woo baby, that was high tech!
2XL rocks - I was thinking of trying to score one off ebay. SImon was ok for lighting up the caverns in the blanket forts we use to make.

The football game was awesome...man I cant tell you how many hours we spent playing that when it was raining and we couldnt play cops and robbers on our block with real BB-guns and sling shots...Im suprised I made it to 14 thinking back....lol

Isnt it wild how the old games that we had, are improved now that we are in control and remember all the things that needed to be tweeked to be perfect. Big wheels and green machines now have rubber tire (no more flat spots for thump, thump, thumping down the sidewalk). And my generations most important contribution to the fight against child abuse.......hot wheel tracks are now made in 1 ft. sections.........not 3 ft! My mom was deadly with those things, she could tear our a$$'s up anywhere in a 14' by 14' room with a 3 ft piece of plastic. And if we were out of range of that.....I have some nasty memories of the wooden Dr. Shoals clogs flying threw the air. I still have nightmares........clop.......clop........clop!

Ahh. Simon. I found a flash version on-line the other day. It once again proved that I am just as dumb now as I was then.
cool.gif

There's a guy that makes portable versions of game systems and old computers. Uses all the boards from an original unit by cutting them down and "sandwiching" them into custom cases.
Did your design look anything like this portable Atari 2600?

PictureX.jpg
yeah those are sweet! I've seen them online. Mine was on paper only and was an advanced version of that football game but 4 time the number of LEDs, a small joystick on the left, and about 4 buttons on the right. The unit was cartridge based [like 2600 but way smaller], ran on batteries. Unfortunately, someone who wasn't a kid created the MICROVISION a couple years later in 79 and started the revolution of cartridge based handheld games.

PARENTS: If your kids invent some wacky stuff that seems to far fetched, ENCOURAGE the creativity, don't discourage. It could make you sic-wealthy
smile.gif

microvision.JPG

Its crazy how all this low tech stuff is coming back after we have all this new stuff.

yep. merlin. don't forget SIMON! Ah... .the dawn of technology time wasters ;)

simon.jpg

or BIG TRAX

bigtrak.jpg

STRETCH ARMSTRONG

stretch.jpg
DUDE!!!! BIG TRAX!!!!!

I had one of those!!!! And a Little Trailer hook up so I could tow stuff. Spent hours programming that damn thing to chase the cat and fire its blinky light...
thumbs-up.gif

yep. merlin.  don't forget  SIMON!   Ah... .the dawn of technology time wasters  ;)

simon.jpg

or BIG TRAX

bigtrak.jpg

STRETCH ARMSTRONG

stretch.jpg
DUDE!!!!  BIG TRAX!!!!!

I had one of those!!!!  And a Little Trailer hook up so I could tow stuff.  Spent hours programming that damn thing to chase the cat and fire its blinky light...  
thumbs-up.gif
The dogs freaked out on those things too!! I loved mine.

Wasnt the game system a Vectrex? I had one of those, a self contained monitor and controler. You put plastic layouts over the screen for different games! High tech stuff, but it was fun!
Your parents must have loved you very much to get you such cool toys!
Dont forget....I had the Big Trax also....around the same time.
Oh I remember, I used to play, I mean evaluate the educational aspects of yours and Matt's all the time.

biggrin.gif

Back