Do you declare your mods.

newman

Registered
Just reading about Vindaloobeast having trouble getting insurance.
So I thought I would look at a price comparison site for my Busa with mods.
It was crazy, if I put on improved brakes, braided lines, and with my bobbins and r&g frame sliders the insurance would go up over £300 a year.
Even with bobbins and frame sliders it goes up by over £200 a year.
Like third party or third party fire and theft is dearer than fully comp.
So do you put what mods you've done and does it put your insurance up or down.

Turbo mods increase your chance of death and theft not to mention more money for them to payout on a claim. I would expect a severe increase with mods.

My policy covers $5000 of "add on" parts. It's a bit vague, I should probably have my agent give me the specifics.
I cannot speak for the rest of the USA insured, but I for one am way over insured in most of my policies.

I dont have to list add on parts unless I have to do a claim, I can only claim parts that I have put on the bike in the last 6 months from the day I make the claim.

The situation on insurance is dire. A friend of mine has a really trick Nissan Skyline running a massive turbo and chucking out about 800bhp and similar amounts of torque and he is paying less than me on a standard Busa. What upsets me is that he is 15 years younger than me..!!! Yes its all about managing risk and I do understand they have to do the maths but the policies and premiums vary so much that its an utter nonsense.

It will get to a point where people simply wont bother telling them and bikers will then become more 'outlaws' in the eyes of the law and media.

Honesty doesnt get you anywhere.

Vindy.

Trick is to get everything from one carrier. I have my car, houses, bike, flood all with State Farm and I don't pay that much and I send my agent the pictures I post on here everytime I do a mod. I'm paying $350/yr for everything on the bike.

I'm 50, I have a perfect driving record (hard to beleive isn't it?) and my cars are a volvo and an SUV. I have had one bike totaled by a hit and run and no other claims.

The thing is the mods I listed above are to make your bike safer or not sustain so much damage if you crash. The only thing I can think of for it being more expensive is that the insurers would have to pay the price of replacing the mods.

i was told that if i had a claim they would only pay the cost of the original items , so take the exhaust for instance ,one standard can is worth more than the two after markets
go figure :banghead:

Back