Do I need to pay for a Tune with PC? or Can I do it myself?

Koster88

Registered
I just bought a brand new 09 Busa. I put a Full System R77 on, and bought a power Commander. The dealership tells me I need them to tune, so that its right. They dont even have a Dyno. Their sister store does have a dyno, and I could take it there, but I think its like 270 bucks either way for installation, and Tuning. Isn't this pretty easy? or is it worth it?

installation is a snap, tuning on the other hand has to be done on dyno, and 270 is about right, maybe a lil cheap for that with custom map.

Maps are available. They're ball park not dead on, but nothing guarantees a custom map will be dead on or for that matter better than the free maps available. It comes down to what you want. For street riding I don't see anything wrong with the free maps. Pros datalog and adjust their maps continuously for peak performance. Most of us normal folk don't. :beerchug:

Installing the pc3 (or any of them) is easy. You can upload the map yourself and be good enough. If you are looking for the best you can get out of your bike than a custom tune (from a good tuner) is the way to go.

if you want to tune your bike yourself you need to invest in a datalogger.

otherwise the next best thing is a good dyno with a custom tune.

then a canned tune.

For what they are charging, you are better off driving down to Austin and having Johnny Cheese tune the bike... :thumbsup:

You have a PCV? if so go to the website and grab the maps that fit you comfortable.

When I added my brock short meg. I sent an email to brock and they shot me back 3 maps.

if you want to tune your bike yourself you need to invest in a datalogger.

otherwise the next best thing is a good dyno with a custom tune.

then a canned tune.

Ya, for $270 you could buy yourself the Autotune module if you have the PCV but by the time you install Autotune and figure out how it works best for you, have O2 bung welded, go through the rigorous process of datalogging, you might as well get a custom tune. It is still up for debate whether or not the self tuning modules for motorcycles even work all that great.

Self tuning seems really cool. You can update your tune for weather or mods any time you want. I can't wait to start using mine but I think it would be best to get a professional tune to start from. wait and see what develops with self tuning.

There is no reason the appropriate map won't enable you to realize 90% of your new system's potential. I have only run maps in my PCV and I thought both were great improvements over stock.

Their sister store does have a dyno, and I could take it there, but I think its like 270 bucks either way for installation, and Tuning. Isn't this pretty easy? or is it worth it?

It is very easy to install a PC. You might get a few pointers here that will clarify/improve on the DJ instructions. Unplugging the main wiring harness was a simple procedure that took a lot of aggravation on my Kawi. Imagine it's the same for a busa. Those plugs don't want to let go.

Loading a map into the PC is not hard. Basic computer opperation. You just need to download DJ's software to your laptop and have the map on your computer as well. I do not have a laptop so I parked my bike outside the window and ran the USB cable from my home computer.

Last edited:
it'll cost you more than 270 bud...you'll have to buy that plane ticket for you and the busa and fly to KC cause smithers is the 1 that needs to do it:laugh:

Back