dyno tune worth it?....

lethal busa

Registered
I have an 08 busa that was dynoed stock with a power commander 3 and pulled 179 rwhp and 107 rwtq. I then put on the brock's shortmeg exhaust and installed their map tune for street and track. The dealer wants to charge $350.00 for a custom tune. I was wondering if anyone had their bike dynoed with the exact or similar mods and what were the results. Also do you think the brock's tune is sufficient or should I spend the cash on the tune?. A bike similar as mine made only 191rwhp after the custom tuning session. is 10 rwhp worth $350.00. Thanks

it will be a noticble diffrence in power. shop around man you can get tuned for 200-250

IMO your throwing away your money with a tune. Just run Brocks map and you will be fine. My bike was dynoed with Brocks track map and alien head and there was no power to be gained as the A/F ratio was almost perfect. And on the track it has ran in the 9.20's at 60 inch wheelbase with my weight of 207 lbs unsuited. If someone gains you big hp over Brocks map it won't produce the good et's at the track. Remember dyno hp is not everything.

I am in MS. I did install the map and noticed a difference. i just couldn't see the benefit of a little more horsepower for the amount of the tune. Now if the bike had a turbo that would be a different story. I'll try and shop around more also.

10 RWHP is worth $350.00, that's cheap power.

The real question is will you get that result for $350
winkold.gif

I would definitely tune it...Your numbers seem a little high for a stock tune but with the brocks map, they are very lean in upper rpms...you can play with the numbers yourself on the computer and remap it yourself, but I gained 9+ whp with the custom tune...On the 250i dyno at 21% humidity it put down 179.9 rwhp... This is from Shawn Gann and its the same dyno he uses on his drag bike... 350 for a tune is a little steep, but a definite notice in performance...

I had it dynoed stock without the tune from brock that put out 179 rwhp and 107 rwtq before i added the brock exhaust and tune. The bike had stock cans and just a pwr commander at the time of the dyno session. I just installed the brock's tune and noticed a difference but wanted to see if a custom tune would be even better than brock's map. The throttle response seems alot better after the brock's tune. I'm just trying to decide if I want to pay for what seems to be very little gain...

I also am seriously considering a PCIII on my K8 after trying it without. I kept on reading all the threads about the K8 being able to adjust to the full R77 pipe but I'm starting to notice some surging at about 3500 rpm with a light constant throttle. It seems more noticeable in real humid weather. I just don't like the idea of disconnecting the O2 sensor. Why does it have to be disconnected on the K8 but not on other bikes when using a PC. There have been some heated discussions here about remapping and using a PC on the 08 with just a full exhaust and if it was really necessary and I kinda think I might have to do it. I don't know if I'll get a custom tune either or go with the standard R77 full map. Let me know what you find out.

all pc3's require disabling the O2 you have to becaus there is no power at 14.7:1
Under full throttle the engine ecu ignores the o2 senor anyway it's just when your cruising or at idle,
That the ecu uses the o2 sensor voltage to trim fuel mixture to meet emissions and improve fuel effiency.

Well at least that's my experience in cars anyway
ohthedrama.gif

yes tune the bike man...its ur baby...it will run smoother and u will have the comfort of knowing u arent running lean in areas.

350 is cheap to pay for 10HP. Getting the bike tuned properly is always the best bet other than installing a map made from somewhere else. Yes your bike did make 179 with just the map that came in it but I did another one just like yours with stock cans and it made 183 with my clean up. You think you noticed a difference by just downloading that map, just think how much difference it will make once its tuned right. HP is only one factor of tuning and does not dictate everything. You can take two brand new bikes. One with a tune and the other with a downloaded map. Even if the downloaded map may make more HP the tuned bike will eat its lunch all day. Your bike doesn't ride at 100% throttle opeining all the time. Just remember that.

The people that say a tune isn't worth it probably have not rode a bike not tuned then rode the same bike tuned well.

The people that say a tune isn't worth it probably have not rode a bike not tuned then rode the same bike tuned well.
true and that is why I still charge 250.00
That's about what we charge also.

What people don't understand is the price it costs to actually tune a bike. The price of the dyno, the price of electricity that the dyno uses is big thing, also paying for the knowledge of the tuner.

If I had a Brock's PC I don't think I'd be to concerned unless there is a big elevation difference from Brock to you. I don't have the Brocks, I've got a Ti-force and Pc and had it tuned Friday.It made a big difference everywhere, more midrange, more uptop, idles better, and quit sucking so much gas. It was running too rich with the stock pc. I removed my fairings and got it done for $250. Best 250 I've spent! More responsive everywhere. Anyone who thinks proper tuning is a waste of money is sadly mistaking.

true and that is why I still charge 250.00
That's about what we charge also.

What people don't understand is the price it costs to actually tune a bike. The price of the dyno, the price of electricity that the dyno uses is big thing, also paying for the knowledge of the tuner.
Amen. Some people complain about the cost of tunes but don't know what is involved in getting to the point of being a great tuner, what it cost for the time to be on the machine and what it cost to run it. I've seen tuning go from $150 up to $1000 depending on what all is being done. Before anyone judges why someone else charges more or less than others just ask the tuner what all is involved and what you are paying for.

If I had a Brock's PC I don't think I'd be to concerned unless there is a big elevation difference from Brock to you. I don't have the Brocks, I've got a Ti-force and Pc and had it tuned Friday.It made a big difference everywhere, more midrange, more uptop, idles better, and quit sucking so much gas. It was running too rich with the stock pc. I removed my fairings and got it done for $250. Best 250 I've spent! More responsive everywhere. Anyone who thinks proper tuning is a waste of money is sadly mistaking.
Me and Brock have argued about maps before. No matter how much time you put in a map it still won't work on everybike the same way. Remember, these bikes are built on a assymbly line and have what is called "acceptable tolerences". You can have a .5mm difference on how the crank trigger mounts in the stator cover that can affect performance drastically or one injector that can flow fuel a little better than the others. Tuning help bring all these factors together for a more efficient machine. Ever wondered why one bike stock bike can run better than others? Maybe the air gap on the cam sensor is closer than the other bike, or maybe the compression of the pistons are higher cause one bike got a better set of pistons than the other. If your tuner doesn't care about these things then he can't help you gain. There is more to tuning than just finding a good air/fuel mixture. EFI 101.

Back