Diving into a Busa...

Riq

Registered
Hi all. First off, it is truly refreshing to see mature dialogue amongst adult riders on this very unique site. The plethora of information at my disposal is astounding to say the least and the level of maturity exhibited under each topic (including the rants) are unmatched by the other boards. I can safely call this site the 'motherboard' of all sites.

I'm in the market for a new bike and narrowed myself down to an R1, RC51 and the Busa. I couldn't find much constructive info on the other bikes except the latter.

The bike I’m interested in is the 2003 40th anniversary in liquid orange. My primary purpose is for commuting (in style) of which I do 18000 miles a year. This is really the only time I get to enjoy riding (if you can call that enjoyment). But I still have some reservations which I was hoping one (or all) of you would be able to address.

1) Have there been any starter problems with this model?
2) Have there been any other kind of problems?
3) What kind of freeway mileage would I expect from the stock tires, very limited canyon riding and never in rain.
4) How does it handle at low speeds (5-35mph) splitting thru freeway traffic?
5) How does it handle in high wind/cross wind areas (15-40mph)?

A bit about me: I’m 39, 5’10†@ 165lbs and athletic. I‘ve been riding since 9, on and off road. Stopped for about 10 years and got back on 5 years ago strictly street. Overall, I’ve clocked about 200,000 miles. I currently ride a stock RF900. I needed a commuter and needed it cheap. It is actually a lot of fun to ride and extremely comfortable and it has never given me trouble and the very few times I’ve gone carving, the D205s kept me right up with the big boyz and I still get 10-15,000 miles out of them. Why do I want to change now? Well, basically, I outgrew the RF before I even bought it but couldn’t afford the ‘better’ bikes at the time. Now, I want something that is a little more challenging yet reliable.

1&2 Suzuki makes the most reliable bikes available

3 2500to 3000

4&5 good to both

You should also considder comfort for a commuter and the Busa has both others mentioned beat hands down.

<span style='color:red'>Even with starter problems on ohter models it was few</span>
<span style='color:red'>nothing to speak of R1 has lots of problems</span>

3) What kind of freeway mileage would I expect from the stock tires, very limited canyon riding and never in rain.
<span style='color:red'>40mpg average</span>

<span style='color:red'>The Busa does not like low rpms or 5 mph, 35 is fine, you can compensated by increasing the revs.  That being said a stock Busa will do fine with minor adjusments</span>

<span style='color:red'>At those speeds the Buasa is fine.  High cross winds at 100mph + gets a little hairy, but try that on one of the other bikes OUCH</span>

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085769903 -->

I've got an 03' (silver/gray not 40th ann.) and logged almost 14k miles in a year.  I've sat on the zx12, zz12r, cbr1100xx and several 10-speed sized liter bikes.  Cancel the R1 almost immediately, unless you're going to do short riding in the twisties.  The Honda comes from a very reliable line of bikes, but from a power & comfort standpoint comes up short on the Busa.  The Busa is the most comfy bike on the planet that can be used at the dragstrip as well as touring 2-up in the mountains.  Plus it's got soooooo much room to increase performance and comfort.  The friggin thing is like the energizer bunny on steroids, whatever is thrown at it gets devoured relentlessly.  Anyway you've got plenty of experience and more importantly maturity, so it's matter of when you're going to purchase
tounge.gif

Welcome to the board and I personally appreciate the positive comments and totally agree with you.

God bless and happy hunting.
BD

<!--EDIT|BigDawg_03Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085770779 -->

Welcome to the board. You can expect about 6000 to 8000 miles on the stock rear tire. I do 100 miles a day on the highway going back and forth to work and that is what I get.

You can not go wrong with the Busa it is an all around good bike. I use mine to get to and from work about 50 mile round trip. So far the tires are wearing well with about 2000 miles on them. I get about 35 mpg but I have a hard time keeping my right wrist off the gas.

Where about in California are you at. I'm in Riverside and ride to Norco to work.

Welcome to the board and enjoy the Busa when you get it.

Welcome to the board!  I would agree, with some bias, that the 'Busa is the best choice for you.  I have ridden the 'Busa in gusty wind conditions of about 35 mph and while uncomfortable from a personal perspective she handled like a dream.  A little lean and she was good to go.  I have been averaging about 36 MPG since I have had the bike through a range of highway and around town riding.  Tire problems I can't address because I only have about 1500 miles on mine.  No significant problems with that year model or any one after 2001 really.

EAKBusa has an '03 Anniversay for sale in the classifieds <a href="https://www.hayabusa.org/cgi-bin/busa/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=13800"> Here's his post <a> that you may want to look at and several other members have that orange flavor that you can ask.

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085820401 -->

And as for the wind gusting, the Busa has the best fairing protection among non-cruiser style/touring bikes. I get behind tractor trailers and I'm blowing a little, but my buddies on their liter/600cc bikes are all over the place.  The added weight helps also!

<!--EDIT|BigDawg_03Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085835354 -->

I love my busa, but have always wanted an RC51. I have a buddy that has one, what a cool bike. My suggestion is to just go ahead and get BOTH....

<span style='color:red'>Even with starter problems on ohter models it was few</span>
<span style='color:red'>nothing to speak of R1 has lots of problems</span>

<span style='color:red'>40mpg average</span>

<span style='color:red'>The Busa does not like low rpms or 5 mph, 35 is fine, you can compensated by increasing the revs.  That being said a stock Busa will do fine with minor adjusments</span>

<span style='color:red'>At those speeds the Buasa is fine.  High cross winds at 100mph + gets a little hairy, but try that on one of the other bikes OUCH</span>
NE has it all covered!!!

Thanks All! You guys pretty much covered all and more than I need to take the plunge. On my way to see a dealer today.

I just started looking for a new bike about a month ago. I found this board and read it for a while, then joined to post. The information available here is real world and the level of maturity it offers lends credibility over someone looking to sell you something...I too am impressed.

I just bought a busa! (but i'll post that to brag later)
biggrin.gif

I looked at all the sport and sport touring bikes, sat on them, read, internet, compare specs, chose colors, worried about stuff in general, etc. It's all I've been doing for a month now!
Two days into owning a busa (as was very highly reccomended by the faithful here) and....

I AM IN LOVE. DO NOT HESITATE!!!!!!.. do not hesitate I mean..eh-hem...

Never mind mileage or tire wear, that is inconsequential and you know it. I suspect your wife is reading your posted questions. This bike does it all!
With endless power and finesse. Comfortable, definitley slips through traffic, glued to the ground, and it will demand your respect...trust me. I have about 700 miles on it already.

My advice after a lot of work and absolute complete satisfaction is buy one! Now.

Let us know when you take delivery....
wink.gif

Good luck
Cheers

Everyone already answered... But, I will add my $.02

A. Nope.

A. Rear Tire wear is a BIG problem on mine... Of course I ride like a maniac.

A. I get 28MPG and ~2800 miles out of the rear tire... ~6000 miles out of the front (see #2 answer for reason).

A. 5 MPH ain't grand, but anything above that is fantastic. Splitting is simple, comfortable, and easy.

A. Better than most other bikes.

I found the R1 very uncomfortable and as Mike said, it has MANY problems! RC-51 is awesome to carve canyons, but uncomfortable also. Stick with the busa for the best well-rounded bike!

I HAVE 35K ON BUSA,BOUGHT NEW.HAVE RIDDEN EVERYWHERE,EVERYDAY,GETTING AVG 3K OUT OF BRIDGESTONE TIRES REAR,6K FRONT.NO REAL PROBLEMS.
YOU MENTIONED RAIN,I HAVE BEEN RIDING MANY YEARS AND THE BUSA IS THE BEST BIKE IN THE RAIN I HAVE EVER HAD.DONT KNOW IF IT IS WEIGHT,TIRES,SMOOTH POWER OR WHAT BUT IT IS VERY MUCH A HIGHER CLASS OF BIKE THAN ANY OTHER IN RAIN.
AROUND 40MPG IF NOT GETTING CRAZY,DROPS DRAMATICALLY OVER 120MPH SUSTAINED.
BEST MOD,UP 2 TEETH ON REAR SPROCKET,GET YOU OVER
1000 FT/LB THRUST IN 1ST GEAR.

Back