To zx or not to zx...

TXBusa05LE

Registered
I’ve been looking for a confidence building bike. Something I can basically torture and not worry about trashing. I’m talking full leathers scenario here.

I’ve found a mint condition ZX12 and the price is right. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

What other options do I have?

3.jpg

bikes don't build confidence-you have to do the building-just don't get too confident-that could hurt----

Their OK...If you can settle for just OK...If the price is right then it may be OK...

I presently have the zx11 and was going to get the zx12. After reading some zx12 forums, I changed my mind. Some recalls. 200 rear tire which can be expensive and uncommon size. Some abruptness in the FI throttle. Read for yourself. Just my 2cents.
Hayabusa.....here I come!

How would a 12 be your confidence builder? It's a big, heavy bike just like the busa. 600 would be a confidence builder IMHO

+ 1, if your "full leather" scenario is the road track, grab a 600 or 750 to throw around.

What do you wanna do,street or track? High speed or just real quick to 100? 600 are great for twisties and gear it and what fun.

Yeah - the ZX-12 is not a good bike for track days over a Busa.

TXbusa, i can get you a smoking deal on a super clean 00-01' ZX12 not sure of the year. It's a guy on a ZRX site i frequent. With a full Akra exhaust and Marvec wheels you can't go wrong for $6500.
Here's one pic.

download.jpg

a zx12 is NOT a good track bike...and it definantly won't be building your confidence when a panty waist on an SV650 smokes you through the esses...repeatedly...and i'd be like walking into a pool hall with a real fancy pool cue and everyone figures out in the first shot that you can't shoot fer shid...then you become the target and ultimately?..the notch on everyone elses 6-gun...not good...also?...the 12 is a maint. nightmare as compared to most others...especially the earlier models....try to find someone to do a valve adjust on a early model 12r...and if ya do?...take a seat before you ask the fee for such services...you want a "confidence builder" for track days?...

SV650
GSXR600/750
R6
RC51

its $250 for a valve job, for all years including a throttle sync.
thats a excellent bike for street, hwy etc but the busa or the 12 in my oppinion is not great for the track.

Despite what you read on this board a ZX12 is NOT a beginners bike! it is tenths of a second slower in the 1/4 than the Busa with a good rider. If you think riding a bike even 1/2 a second slower than the Busa in the 1/4 mile is slow, You need to put down the crack pipe. If you want to LEARN twisties get a bike designed for it. A newer model 600 is all you need to go romping throught he corners. If you want something a little faster in the corners get a 750 but don't be fooled. They are capable of hurting you just as fast in the corners as the bigger boys by going in too hot! Basically, the best way I found to build confidence was to ride familiar roads over and over then when you think you're good, get some riders better than you and follow them down your familiar roads trying to keep up while staying in the far edge of your comfort zone. close enough to push yourself a little but not too far to crash and burn.
going to the #2 bad azz bike in the sport is a poor approach IMO.
Be safe whatever your decision.

Just wait a couple of month until the 07 models come out, then get yourself a 06 holdover Gixxer 600 or 750. You get to stay in the Zuki family and your Busa has a little brother then.

Don

Their OK...If you can settle for just OK...If the price is right then it may be OK...
laugh.gif
I guess you give the deal an OK then eh Stunnah? lol. Funny guyyyy..........
wink.gif
If I was gonna get a confidence builder for the track (I hope you aint gonna go 10 tenths on the street?!), full leathers and all, I would do a Zuk 750...screamin' little track terror.

Back