Dismantling front forks

VFRcanada

Registered
I would like to replace the bronze tube on my 05 Busa with the black tubes from a 1000 without changing the brakes/axle mount. Will the lower tube of the front forks separate from the bottom bracket? It looks like there's some kind of pin holding them together. Are the tubes the same size?

Yep, the lower foot can be changed but I have never attempted this. Our GP Suspension guy does it but I have no idea if there are special tools required or how he does it?

I'm sure you could call your local suspension folks and they could at least do it for you.

I did a search and found how to rebuild the forks but nothing on how to separate the lower tube from the foot.

I did a search and found how to rebuild the forks but nothing on how to separate the lower tube from the foot.

I don't think the inner tube comes off of the foot or whatever it is called. If you want a diff color tube, you will have to get the tube and foot together. Problem is, like you said, you're in for a whole lot more work.

If you look at the Microfiche for the forks, there is only one part number for the tube and base, this leads me to believe they don't come apart....I could be wrong, but getting them apart may be more than a backyard project. Good luck.

:beerchug:

Are the 1000 tubes able to compensate for the additional weight of the busa?

Might as well keep the 1K lower sections for the radial brakes.

Its not that bad there is a 10mm allen bolt on the bolt that you need to crack loose then hold the cartridge off to a side so that you are able to get the bolt out or else it would spin. that will release the cartridge. I have pulled mine apart quite a few times so if you need help pm'me and i can give better directions on it.

Back