Dirt Biking @ Barber

TreyYoung

Registered
Charlie; finally cut and uploaded our pro skills, avoiding a crash in the newbie novice group session. I extended the video to make it a little more interesting. The beginning of the video shows a nice pass on me by a guy on a GIXXER in turn 2/3 (my least favorite turn). I get a good kick in turn #5 (my second favorite turn), and catch him just before the museum. Series of events:
:14 – Dude on GIXXER looking almost like Jay as he passes me
:36 – Dragging a knee in turn #5 trying to stay with the GIXXER
1:50 – Setting up the front straight (Charlie is behind me)
2:04 – Hitting turn #1, Charlie in front of me lol (getting bunched up)
2:37 – Charlie noticeably putting his hand up letting me know we need to take it easy passing the newbs.
2:48 – We start politely passing on the outside.
2:58 – I think we are going for it on the outside.
2:59 – Dude on the Green Kawasaki must know the GIXXERS are about to pass and decides that is not happening.
3:00 – Dirt biking skills take over, and Charlie is yelling WTF
3:02 – Tim (GIXXER 1k) takes total advantage. GIXXER sounding good as he goes blowing by (one of two times he passed me)
4:25 – Finally catch back up to Tim in turn #1 (one of his least favorite, and my favorite turn)
4:41 – Crash in turn #3, session over.

Biking @ Barber Turn #5 - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool video! looks like a ball out there, never have gone to a track yet, I will this upcoming summer. By the way, how fast were you going when you went into the grass? And way to come out of it....:thumbsup:

Cool video! looks like a ball out there, never have gone to a track yet, I will this upcoming summer. By the way, how fast were you going when you went into the grass? And way to come out of it....:thumbsup:

Those Kaw guys only have a top speed of about 75mph, so that would be my guess :laugh:

Your lines look much better in this video, not nearly as much running wide as I've seen in other vids.

- At 2:08 your are in a bad spot, that bike on the outside had to alter his line because of it (but Charlie had cleared him but he had the line). That was a good save but be careful about agressive passing like that...remember that you may be faster than all those gixxers, but they can stop faster than you and you don't want to rear end anyone!

- In the Chicane (after the museum turn @ 3:34) think about putting your knee on the inside (right) rumble strip - you need that extra 5 feet of track space to power out on the exit...which is exactly where Dennis crashed 2 years ago so watch ur throttle management too!

- Same at 3:58 after going over the tunnel; when you go around that right hander you need to be putting your knee on the rumble strip....

I think I see a trackbike in your future...:laugh::thumbsup:

Nice video. That was a mix'em up session for sure. The Kawi coming out of turn 5 did a very unexpected return to the right side of the track against where he had already started moving into the race line. That video goes to show....you don't want to look behind you...nothing you can do about it and you might not like what you see!

Good riding on that Busa, now go find a track bike this winter!

Nice video. That was a mix'em up session for sure. The Kawi coming out of turn 5 did a very unexpected return to the right side of the track against where he had already started moving into the race line. That video goes to show....you don't want to look behind you...nothing you can do about it and you might not like what you see!

Ur just happy you didn't get butt-packed :laugh:

Good riding on that Busa, now go find a track bike this winter![/QUOTE]

Thanks Charlie, I am looking for a 1K. Signed up to be a public buyer @ insurance auctions. Have been watching and already bid on a few, so we will see how it goes. Can't wait for next season

Keith those video's are eye-opening. You always hear slow is fast, and slowing down to keep the lines tight definitely improves times. And you are right, @ 2:08 it was getting tight, but not as tight as 2:59 :laugh:

Thanks Charlie, I am looking for a 1K. Signed up to be a public buyer @ insurance auctions. Have been watching and already bid on a few, so we will see how it goes. Can't wait for next season

Keith those video's are eye-opening. You always hear slow is fast, and slowing down to keep the lines tight definitely improves times. And you are right, @ 2:08 it was getting tight, but not as tight as 2:59 :laugh:

I had several people compliment my bike this weekend at NOLA; Dave Moss said that the 07-08's were the best literbikes that Suzuki ever made....

I had several people compliment my bike this weekend at NOLA; Dave Moss said that the 07-08's were the best literbikes that Suzuki ever made....

I bid on a theft 08. Stopped @ 5k, it went for almost 8k. Also bid on a crashed 07 Gixxer, and an 11 S1000RR. Almost had the Beemer, but the Gixxer 1k's are going for crazy money. You can get a nice 600 all day for 2k. Crazy

Back