Dimple tape

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Has anyone seen dimple tape for sale anywhere~?~

Boeing currently has the technology patented but I know some have seen the tape being used...

I have yet to find any on the internet

Aerodynamics

golf_ball_dimples.png

do with mythbusters did.. cover the bike in clay and make your own dimples... :rofl:

do with mythbusters did.. cover the bike in clay and make your own dimples... :rofl:

I was just thinking that, Randy! :rofl:

Very interesting what they did... I'd love to see that test done on a larger scale - meaning, use DimpleTape or design body panels with the dimples so that the extra weight (~1000 lbs) of clay won't need to be used.

That was an insteresting show...sort of proves the theory in my book~!~

Wonder why they only called it plausible with seeing a 3 mpg increase~?~

Dimples induce drag. It's been proven that if you can figure out the point of seperation and add dimples (or other means to create drag) then it helps push the point of seperation a little further back on the body of the object. You're still going to get seperation though. You could also look at vortex generators. Remember the Mitsubishi with the little fins all across the trailing edge of the roof... all done in theory to reduce drag.

A motorcycle (esp. with rider) is not very aerodynamic. If you can first improve the aero's to a point where your able to reduce the wake significantly then maybe it's time to think about adding the right size and placement of dimples/drag inducers.

just my .02

That was an insteresting show...sort of proves the theory in my book~!~

Wonder why they only called it plausible with seeing a 3 mpg increase~?~

Back