Dilema

RX1Jim

Registered
Hey guys. Here is my current dilema. My soon to be 19 yr old son wants to start riding. Both of his two older brothers have bikes and we ride ocasionally as a family (ocasionally but not nearly enough due to each of our hectic work schedules). My dilema is the following: He has a strong desire to get his MC drivers license and ride. He is a very responsible kid, I want him to be happy but with all the idiots on the road, riding can be pretty dangerous. I would not be able to live with myself if he got seriously hurt while riding. I know the two of us would share great times riding together, we snowmobile together in the winter and always have a blast. My concern is his safety.

My plan is if he ends up getting a bike, I have him ride with only me or one of his brothers until he gets a good amount of riding experience. At 17 yrs old, I ended up in intesive care for 6 weeks due to a bus making a left turn in front of me so I have been a victim of stupid cagers.

What are your thoughts??

Now as to finding a suitable bike, we have been looking at 600 sportbikes. I am beginning to think even a 600 sportbike may be too much for him as a first bike. He is not interested in anything other than a sportbike so that is another challenge. The price of even used 600's are high, we looked at 3 600's today, they were 2007's with price tags ranging from $6100 - $7000. This is a good time of the year to shop for a used bike since as the winter approaches there are more for sale.

Thanks!!

1. He takes an MSF course.
2. And rides under YOUR rules/conditions.
3. Will he ride a Kawasaki Ninja 250 (cheap to buy, not too painful when he drops it)

We were looking at a Ninja 250 today. I think it would be a good bike for him to learn on then trade up next season. I have seen a few of these for sale for good prices. I am going to see if I can convince him a 250 is a fine bike to start with. Thanks!!!!

My first bike was a 750 and looking back I'm lucky to still be here did some real stupid things on it at age 16
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I think you set a precedent with his older brothers riding. If they did not start on a 250, there is no way he will accept a 250 as his first bike. If you are going to hurt yourself on a bike, you could do it both on a 250 or a 600, it doesn't matter. As you said, have him take the MSF course before he gets the bike. Instill in him the need to ride smart and then you have to trust him.

sv650 or the small vstrom, will have enough power to have fun on while still being much more tame that a gixxer or the like, my first bike was a cruiser in a kawi vulcan 900, they have about 50 horses, and are very manageable, but i am also 6'4 265lbs which kept me away from the 250s and even 500s the gsxf would also be a decent choice imo if hes too big for the 250, if not, the cbr 250 is also a decent bike with a decent price

I'd look at it this way. Had my dad or someone close been there to teach me the ins and outs of motorcycling on the street i'd be in alot better and safer shape than i am today. Infact when i bought my gsxr750 when i was 17 i owned the bike for 2 years without my parents knowing about it. I'd leave early for school go to work where i could keep the bike inside, pick bike up ride to school, get off school and go straight to work and drive my car home.
I ride with a few guys that grew up riding with they're familys and they seem to have a much more level head on em. I'll be the first to admit i am that guy that pushes the envelope and tries stuff in an attempt to scare myself:whistle:

I am with kromdom, i looked at the new cbr 250's for my ex whos looking to get back on a bike, they are nice rides, maybe even a ninja 500 or 550 or whatever they are so that he could debadge it and not have everyone going ah its just a little bike.
My personal take is eventually he is gonna be on a bigger bike, get him on maybe a cheap used older 600 and let him have at it for awhile:thumbsup:

MSF, get him a little supervised seat time, and take him to a TRACKDAY. He'll gain more knowledge on a supervised, controlled trackday than he ever will on the street. And probably be safer in the bargain. Tell him to keep the stupid fast stuff for the track, and he'll get schooled without trying to do it on the street.

Oh yea, TWT I and II....

Yup, we were looking at gear today. He put it on the top of his list to research some gear. That is a very good sign!

We have a motorcycle safety course lined up for September.

all good advise above. i would also add dont discourage him. he is after all 19 and will just go do it himself without you i think .

1. Good gear!
2. Motorcycle safety class
3. ride under supervision

4. Look at older Carb bikes..they have less throttle response it feels. my first bike was a Katana 750. looks sport, feels comfy...not overly fast compaired to modern bikes.
i would go AGAINST the 250 due to wheel wonder, and the lack of acceleration if needed (you need some just in case...but not alot) My kat 3 years ago cost me $2400 with 700 miles on it, was a 99

Back