Didn't get the job.

Ben-there, done-that. I was very down after losing out on jobs I thought I should have had. In every case, things turned out better than I expected. Keep the faith. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. I really, really thought I would get this job. I haven't worked since before Thanksgiving. Last year my business was down 41% because of the economy, and it was already down the year before that. I gave my house back to the bank, sold my bike, and now have to wonder where rent is coming from.

For instance, NOW it's time for you to get away from the Cold and Snowy... WELL HEAVY SNOW ANYWAY... :) and discover the natural beauty that is Washington. It's like Colorado light, with a little bit of Pacific Ocean rubbed on it.

Take it from a Boulder Born and raised Colorado educated Native. I may not move home as planned because this state is so damn nice... Just a thought. Economy up here is doing pretty good comparatively... FWIW

That would be cool. I grew up in Oregon and visited Washington many times. I always thought I would move back to Oregon, but really liked the mountains. A change is definately needed though. I really need to take stock of what I can do. I have always kinda lucked into having a good job, and never finished college. Now it's kinda hard to find a job for a "noneducated" 39 year old pile of crap.

For instance, NOW it's time for you to get away from the Cold and Snowy... WELL HEAVY SNOW ANYWAY... :) and discover the natural beauty that is Washington. It's like Colorado light, with a little bit of Pacific Ocean rubbed on it.

Take it from a Boulder Born and raised Colorado educated Native. I may not move home as planned because this state is so damn nice... Just a thought. Economy up here is doing pretty good comparatively... FWIW

That would be cool. I grew up in Oregon and visited Washington many times. I always thought I would move back to Oregon, but really liked the mountains. A change is definately needed though. I really need to take stock of what I can do. I have always kinda lucked into having a good job, and never finished college. Now it's kinda hard to find a job for a "noneducated" 39 year old pile of crap.

Are you thinking about college? What do you want to take?

NAh, it's just time to get clever with your resume'. All those years of managing your own business are years of management experience. You have experience in contract negotiation, pricing, buying, personnel management, fleet management, on and on...

Remember,
I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!
:thumbsup: -Stuart Smally

Deep breaths, remember you're not the first to be in a tight spot, and nothing on earth motivates a person like need. So let it motivate, don't let the pressures get up on top of ya.

-Monster.com can help, and like I mentioned previously, consider getting the heck outta Colorado, moving has always resulted in steps ahead, change of scenery often leads to a change in mindset.

:thumbsup:

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I WILL TRY AGAIN TOMORROW"

-Mary Anne Radmacher

Every days a new day for the rest of your life. Keep the faith, its not the end of the world.
Something better will turn up.

Lots of good points already made. I know it doesn't help much now but if you really want the job or that type of work keep trying, don't give up. Check with them and see if they will tell you why you didn't get the job, some will tell, some won't. If they do tell you use that information to make yourself a better candidate in the future. Also if you have a common name, make sure they have not confused you with someone else. I've seen this happen in the past, for example the john smith that applied ends up not being the same john smith that held up the local stop and rob two years ago. Scary, but if you happen to have a name that is common it can and does happen.

Either way keep working at it. Test for any and every place within an acceptable distance, at least for the ones that are decent jobs. Other thing to look into is to check and see if they use any part time workers or have any other positions that may get your foot in the door with them. I know a couple county jails that do this and it's a great way to get your foot in the door and get the training. If you are good at the job it will give you an inside track next time around.

I know one guy that tested for an agency here in my area numerous times, along with other agencies, kept coming up low on the list. He tested each and every time a test was given. He eventually got the job, just took some time. He has turned out to be one of the better guys they have hired in the last 5 or 6 years.

The other question I have is do they have an eligibility list. Most agencies only test once a year or every other year and then place those people on a list that they hire from. If they use a list are you on it and just didn't get offered a job at this time? Many times with these jobs it's a matter of how many slots if any they have open and who they have to choose from.

Well after 3 months of testing and interviews I got the word today that I didn't get the Detention Deputy job that I had applied for. Don't know what I'm going to do now. I feel really low.

Same thing happened to me with testing for a county position. At the same time though I tested with my state, but hoping to get the county job first since the state was pretty hush hush with when they were going to hire. The hiring process in LE can be pretty long, but in the end worth it. In the meantime do what you have to do, and test with other agencies. It took me 6 months to find out if I was going to get hired on with my state. If LE is something that you really want to get into, you'll get it eventually if you keep at it (it's very competitive).

If you are interested in moving, not too far really, check out Laramie County SO in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I am a Corporal there, been there for almost 8 years now. We are always hiring. Talk to Gerry Luce. (307) 633-4725. He is our personel guy. Good luck and remember to be yourself. If you are looking a little closer to home. Try Larimer County in Ft. Collins. I just had a very good friend get a hiring date there. Also, there is Weld County in Greeley. I know they are also hiring. Good luck with whatever you decide, and keep your head up. :cheerleader::cheerleader:

Are you thinking about college? What do you want to take?

Maybe in the future. Before I got married I was at the point where I had the choice of going on to vet school or on to pre-med school. Then I was in a car accident that about knocked my brain out and had to drop out of school because of memory problems. I'm mostly better now, but I need a job NOW.

NAh, it's just time to get clever with your resume'. All those years of managing your own business are years of management experience. You have experience in contract negotiation, pricing, buying, personnel management, fleet management, on and on...

Remember, :thumbsup: -Stuart Smally

Deep breaths, remember you're not the first to be in a tight spot, and nothing on earth motivates a person like need. So let it motivate, don't let the pressures get up on top of ya.

-Monster.com can help, and like I mentioned previously, consider getting the heck outta Colorado, moving has always resulted in steps ahead, change of scenery often leads to a change in mindset.

:thumbsup:

Alll good points Rev. I'm working on my resume now. Thanks for the pep talk.

Lots of good points already made. I know it doesn't help much now but if you really want the job or that type of work keep trying, don't give up. Check with them and see if they will tell you why you didn't get the job, some will tell, some won't. If they do tell you use that information to make yourself a better candidate in the future. Also if you have a common name, make sure they have not confused you with someone else. I've seen this happen in the past, for example the john smith that applied ends up not being the same john smith that held up the local stop and rob two years ago. Scary, but if you happen to have a name that is common it can and does happen.

Either way keep working at it. Test for any and every place within an acceptable distance, at least for the ones that are decent jobs. Other thing to look into is to check and see if they use any part time workers or have any other positions that may get your foot in the door with them. I know a couple county jails that do this and it's a great way to get your foot in the door and get the training. If you are good at the job it will give you an inside track next time around.

I know one guy that tested for an agency here in my area numerous times, along with other agencies, kept coming up low on the list. He tested each and every time a test was given. He eventually got the job, just took some time. He has turned out to be one of the better guys they have hired in the last 5 or 6 years.

The other question I have is do they have an eligibility list. Most agencies only test once a year or every other year and then place those people on a list that they hire from. If they use a list are you on it and just didn't get offered a job at this time? Many times with these jobs it's a matter of how many slots if any they have open and who they have to choose from.

They test 4 times a year. Also, they didn't do their academy in October so there were all those applicants in the running this time also. There were around 30 people in the final cut for 15 slots. They will keep my application an file until the end of the year.

If you are interested in moving, not too far really, check out Laramie County SO in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I am a Corporal there, been there for almost 8 years now. We are always hiring. Talk to Gerry Luce. (307) 633-4725. He is our personel guy. Good luck and remember to be yourself. If you are looking a little closer to home. Try Larimer County in Ft. Collins. I just had a very good friend get a hiring date there. Also, there is Weld County in Greeley. I know they are also hiring. Good luck with whatever you decide, and keep your head up. :cheerleader::cheerleader:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. You're the second person to tell me about Weld County. Right now I need a job immediately so that's what I'm looking for. Then I can look into jobs with a longer hireing process. I was so sure that I would get this job that I didn't look anywhere else. Now I'm hanging in the wind unless someone wants there house painted soon.

Back