Diabetic pets

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
Nope, no cheap shots here, I was just curious if any other board members currently have, or have in the past had a diabetic pet.

My wife and I currently have a diabetic cat that is insulin dependent. We've been through about everything over the past two years and seem to be doing well with managing it. It can be stressful at times and there is very little information available out there, especially if this is new to you.

Would just hate to see someone new to it have to learn the hard way like we did if it can be avoided.

Was it born that way? what are you feeding it? I know lots of times diet makes a Huge difference in Diabetics So the same should hold true to your cat. I would try Timber wolf organics they make (cat food )also and see if it makes any changes. Petco carries it. Expensive , This is what I feed my dogs.. Example 40lBs of dog food is $55.00. also I know Mangosteen can cut the sugar in someones system in half ( it naturally regulates it ) It comes in a powder form . You might be able to mix it in some tuna etc. *BUT I WOULD ASK A VET FIRST SINCE SOME PLANTS ARE DANGEROUS TO ANIMALS*

Our cat is diabetic andwe also have one with megacolon. These are very serious and time consuming conditions. I had to check my baby's sugar daily and give him insulin until I got him controlled. The key to mine was in the food. I'm going to give you a link to a wonderful site where they have been dealing with this for years!!! Let me tell you Janet and Binky's food charts are a MUST HAVE!!! Dry food is awful, wet food is better. The lowest carb dry food or wet food I have found is the EVO innova Cat and Kitten. This is expensive but worth it. Takes less to satisfy. It is full of real meats. I uses this to supplement the cats daily feeding. I feed mostly Fancy Feast wet. Turkey and Giblet in the OLIVE can is the best with the lowest carbs. The food charts are done by another lady with diabetic cat who had the time to use the formula to figure the carbs in the food. Just look for carbs on it 6 or less is the best. This site will teach you to check sugar and give insulin and everything. Some vets are better at this problem than others. There are multiple insulins to use. NO ONE RECCOMENDS REGULAR EVEN IF VET TRIES!!! I use Humulin N 70/30. Some use Levimir, Just check out the site it will help.
felinediabetes
Cats can live a mostly normal healthy life with this if their humans are able to just take a few moments every day to check them and make sure they have the proper nutrition and care. It does depend on how long or how severe the diabetes was before it was found. My cat was very high and very sick when i stupidly realized as a nurse he was showing the signs of this disease. My vet just blew it off said it was too much work and to put him down. BUT i found another vet that takes care of cats and dogs that are diabetic on a daily basis right across town. My son was 16 and this was his baby and he cried and begged and my son don't cry so of course Mom took the cat there and he has done beautifully. Look for him drinking more water that probably means his sugar is up. Get an 8$ blood sugar machine from walmart and prick his ear in the vein, to check and a little insulin if needed, proper food and he will flourish!!!

Sorry for the long reply!

Mrs. Busabret

Last edited:
By the way this is "Punkin" our diabetic cat.

Punkin'.jpg

He's a cute one for sure. And thanks for the informaion in your post. I am more than familiar with Janet and Binkys page and we have done well getting ours regulated. We have been through a vast array of food and have tried all of the prescription foods as well as the low carb etc, etc. We are having our best luck right now with Iams regular dry food. As for insulin, we used Humulin N for almost a year with no luck in regulating. She then crashed and we ended up back at that vet at which time we switched to PZI. It was doing great for us but they have quit making it. We are now using the Lantas and it is working wonderful for us. She is the most regulated we have ever had her. We do random blood tests and she is consistent where we want her, so life is good for now. The best part is we have her regulated on a food that our other two cats can and will eat as well. So life is good, it has taken two years and we've learned a lot along the way and spent more than enough on her for a new busa.

I just figured I would see how many others are out there. You sound to be fairly well informed as well about how to deal with the problem and one of the biggest problems is that we have found so many vets that don't have a clue how to deal with this problem and so many give bad information.

Back