Detailing and learning - Successes and mishaps

Solyom

Donating Member
Registered
Hey,

Today I had some surprise learning from filling up the tank. I did it from a fuel can with a detachable hose, and it has some minor leakage, two drops, which were hit some black plastic, right above the gear lever. I didn't make it a big fuss about it when it happened as I had already sprayed myself and my previous bike with gasoline accidentally once at the fuel station and nothing had happened (besides the very interesting looks when I have entered the shop), it had some water all around the bike within couple of mins and that was it, no marks remained. Not in this case, nevertheless within 3 mins I was tried to remove the stain but it had already discoloured the plastic, I was and I am still furious. I did a quick detailing, so know it can't be seen for first, but if I put some silicone sprayed on it that shows completely grey. So please be extra careful if you would like to keep that plastic 100% nice, it won't resist gasoline beyond 10s or more... I hope I will be able to restore it, but based on my experience I am afraid this ship has left the dock.

To continue the mishaps and successes thread, I propose to share here your ways of detailing. As always the learning is highly appreciated.

That really sucks, Suzuki cheaps out again.
At this point, with nothing really to lose, I think I would clean off the silicone, and apply a little heat from a propane torch, quickly touching the flame to the plastic for just a moment.
It does help to bring back the black of sun faded plastic, so maybe it could improve that piece of plastic as well?

That really sucks, Suzuki cheaps out again.
At this point, with nothing really to lose, I think I would clean off the silicone, and apply a little heat from a propane torch, quickly touching the flame to the plastic for just a moment.
It does help to bring back the black of sun faded plastic, so maybe it could improve that piece of plastic as well?
Thanks for the idea. I will give it some time and let us see how it will age.

This is unbelievable, how cool is that? Never though it works so flawlessly.
Mine is not so bad, I still wait how the heat of the sun will do some work on that.
Screenshot_2024-03-19-16-28-48-670~2.jpeg

Back