GEN II DETAILED SMOG PUMP REMOVAL AND BLOCK OFF

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
I went ahead and on my GEN 2 prepared it for a ECU flash i am getting done. it already has a FULL SYSTEM Yosh R-77 4-2-1 system with a PCV and AUTO TUNE (but dont think it had the dual band o2) and quickshifter all by DYNOJET.. i was not happy with the auto tune, still had some after fire issues and wanted to at least disable in the ECU flash for the smog pump. so i took pics while doing this and hope it helps you do this fairly simple modification. so... here we go!! lol

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_5008.JPG

first thing is get the bike stable (i use front and rear stands.) now you dont need to disconnect the battery or what not but now remove the driver seat by the two bolts on the side under the seat

go ahead and remove those two bolts.. now i use 550 cord to hold the tank up as apposed to the lift rod supplied with the bike (which mine did not have when i bought it used and all the modifications i listed already on it) tie off the cord to the rear seat lock assembly then tie off the tank all the way up (i use a slip knot so it cinches as i lift it and i pull it snug so it stays up completely out of the way

IMG_4983.JPG

IMG_4982.JPG

now lets disconnect what is needed to pull the air box up and off the bike. you do NOT have to disassemble the air box, you can leave it intact but i did because it helps me line it back up over the throttle bodies when i put it back together.. so locate these connections and rubber hoses coming up from the engine and remove them

IMG_4984.JPG

IMG_4985.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_4987.JPG

IMG_4988.JPG

IMG_4992.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_4994.JPG

IMG_5053.JPG

now you need to loosen the clamps that are on the throttle bodies... allen head on both sides of the bike.. loosen them just enough to pull off the throttle bodies. (i did 6-7 full turns and still had enough to continue to unscrew without it coming apart

IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

IMG_5047.JPG

now you can firmly pull the airbox off the throttle bodies... there will be one more hose to disconnect from the smog pump but easier to reach once air box assembly up and off the throttle bodies

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

disconnect the smog pump electrical connection and if you get your ECU flashed you can just tuck it out of the way as it is then disconnected in the ECU flash...if you ARE NOT getting your ECU flashed.. you will need a jumper connection so that you do not get a error FI code.. they can be bought from our great org sponsors.. just give them a message!!.

IMG_5021.JPG

now with the electrical connection disconnected go ahead and take the bolts off above each reed assembly on top of the head.. again here are pics showing what two alllen head bolts you will be unscrewing

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG

IMG_5017.JPG

IMG_5018.JPG

the reason you need them (depending on the block off plates you have (or if you choose to put gasket material on the openings if you going for total weight loss...but i find its easier to go to the gym...lol... now remove the screws that hold the reeds onto each of the plates.

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

take the allen head bolts that held the assembly from the smog pump and your plates you purchased from one of our great org sponsors... use just a dab of BLUE locktite and then center the plates on top of the reed assemblies and then tighten them down.

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG

IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5015.png

ok now you got that done.. there is one last thing.. you need to block off the air box assembly smog pump inlet. there is a wide variety of ways to do this.. if you didn't get from a org sponsor.. i believe a 5/8 leg cover from lowes work.. (rumor) .. i took off the smog pump connection one of the clamps and used it to assist to secure the rubber boot i had.. the clamp was a little loose as the boot was thinner than the hose...so i simply compressed it the opposite way to make the ring smaller...then put it over the boot as additional measure to make sure it stays on

IMG_5015.png

IMG_5039.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

IMG_5041.JPG

IMG_5042.JPG

IMG_5043.JPG

IMG_5044.JPG

Back