Day 16 of not smoking and.........

smoked for 13 yrs...havent had one in over 25 years now..cold turkey for me....

the cravings will go away...give it time..its well worth it...and at what they cost you can buy another bike soon with money saved..:thumbsup:

Personally, I'd rather have the craving for a cig then smoke one and wish I wasn't. More painful in the beginning,but the payoff is worth it.

Mood swings and such are to be expected. Having something to focus your time on helps. Something you can exert yourself when the aggression sets in is helpful also. Chopping wood.
Something that will feel like your being destructive,but not actually breaking something you regret breaking.

My parents stopped smoking when I bought em the patch. It has been over a month now and that's cool. I quit and the first two weeks were horrible. I couldn't focus and was an azzhol too. It gets better man glad u joined the non smoker club :thumbsup:

Congrats, yes the cravings fade in time. Early in my quit I found that drinking ice water kills cravings dead in their tracks so to speak. I'm coming up on 4 years smoke free and thats after 38 years of smokin so if I can do it anyone can.

The worst is over, quitting cold turkey is hard but if you have strong will power you will be fine. I have been smoke free 3yrs now and i quit cold turkey too so trust me when i say the worst is just about over. This may sound a little wired but the next time you get a craving breath out as much as you can and take a slow deep breath, as much as you can and hold for about 30 seconds and let it out. It took my cravings away

Today is week 3 of not smoking and my suck-o-meter is still pegged!!!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ok, Don you need to get your mind off of smoking, so one thing to do is figure out what is triggering the urge!
You also really need to want this for your self! But here is some very good motivation info for you!

If you quit smoking RIGHT NOW...

* In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
* In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.
* In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
* In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
* In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
* In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
* In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
* In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
* In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
* In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

Excellent information! I had to quit while in the hospital and used the patch for 1 week. 8+ years ago. I suggest stopping the nicotine candy, if you haven't already, that's just prolonging the body cravings. Good luck and keep up the good work! :thumbsup: Your body will thank you later!

Ok, Don you need to get your mind off of smoking, so one thing to do is figure out what is triggering the urge!
You also really need to want this for your self! But here is some very good motivation info for you!

If you quit smoking RIGHT NOW...

* In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
* In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.
* In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
* In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
* In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
* In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
* In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
* In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
* In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
* In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

Stick with it. It's not easy but you have support.

I smoked for over 20 years and quit once cold turkey for 2 years then started again because I just missed it. My problem was that I enjoyed smoking. My best friend (who still smokes) and I would kick back on the front porch drinking Dr. Pepper and taking bikes and the such. Smoking just went well with that. But, I quit again 2 months ago. I have found using electronic cigarettes work for me. I worked my way down from full flavor/full nicotine to full flavor/no nicotine. It works to satisfy my smoke cravings with out smoking. It gets easier with time.

No backsliding @ this point, ride yer bike, get off the broken record, and do not smoke or you will start out again someday & have a do-over of the first (toughest) three weeks, If you toughed through the first three weeks, you are well over the worst. +1 the tablets might be prolonging the agony. I quit spring of 2004 and belive me, glad I did. I do not want a cigarette!

Keep it up!!! It can be done and id never go back either!!!

My Grandma smoked... packs a day i'd wager.. and quit at about 65yo and got a tat! Keep up the good work!

Back