DANGER! Removing Sticker Film

vulgar2

Registered
Just thought I'd share....
DO NOT USE "Goof off" when trying to remove sticker film!!! Luckily I tried a spot on the inner faring wing and within 3 seconds here is what it looked like! WTF!! This is after I tried buffing it out with some wax...
Goof Off.jpg

These products did not harm the clearcoat but are basicly doing ZERO to remove the adhesive.
Cleaners.jpg

Here is a picture of what I have going....I am on my fifth hour of messing with this, and I am about ready to just take the faring, throw it in the street and head over to the bar......
Adhesive.jpg

Goof Off.jpg

Cleaners.jpg

Adhesive.jpg

did you just pull decals off? no heat? i used a hair dryer to soften mine as i pulled off and had virtually no residue left.took maybe 10min per side.are they both like that? if you havnt done the other try to heat it up as you pull. good luck

Just thought I'd share....
DO NOT USE "Goof off" when trying to remove sticker film!!! Luckily I tried a spot on the inner faring wing and within 3 seconds here is what it looked like! WTF!! This is after I tried buffing it out with some wax...
View attachment 179595

These products did not harm the clearcoat but are basicly doing ZERO to remove the adhesive.
View attachment 179596

Here is a picture of what I have going....I am on my fifth hour of messing with this, and I am about ready to just take the faring, throw it in the street and head over to the bar......
View attachment 179597

the WD40 will work...but it needs "saturation time"...try this...

1. Lay several layers of paper towels over the residual glue areas and then?..

2. Hose down the paper towels with the WD40...this will both...

A. Keep the aromatic agents close to the glue and...
B. Stop the aromatic agents from evaporating so quickly.

3. Go to the bar and have a few for an hour or so.

4. Go home and remove the paper towels then hose it down directly one last time and should wipe right off with minimal effort.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

Did use a hair dryer....worked perfect on the rears and left side....not one bit of residue. Right side and front....just the sticker came off, left all the adhesive on the faring.
Just talked to the local sticker shop, says he's got what I need and will fill up a spray bottle for $15. Not open till Monday. In the meantime I will try the WD40 idea w/ paper towels (thanks Bill).....and see what kind of result I get.

Last edited:
That looks pretty rough, sorry your having trouble. Post update photos when you got it the way you like.

I don't know what's up with that "Goof Off" stuff, never used it. From those pictures it looks kinda Goofy:laugh:
The longer you let the sticker remover soak in the better and easier it is to remove.

I had this same problem looked just like yours do. I finally found Rapid Remover spray on wait 20 seconds and scrape with a card or a squeegee it will take it off a layer at a time. both side in about 5 mins of course I spent a week trying everything else.

Rapidtac

Go here and click your state it will tell you places that sell it around you. It cost me 17 for a quart but it is well worth the price. Good luck and post up pics when finished.

Here is the process I went through

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/127087-new-labels-finally.html

Last edited:
Goof Off is Good Stuff ; Not For the Timid, It's Like a Chain-saw-in-a-Can
Written: Aug 24 '07 (Updated Nov 11 '09)

Product Rating:
Pros: Cleans up dried paint VERY well

Cons: Care must be used. the small squirt flip is sometimes hard to get out.

The Bottom Line: Use the proper tool for the proper job. Read the label and anyone can use this tool properly and safely.

popsrocks's Full Review: Goof Off The Ultimate Remover
A CHAINSAW IN A CAN!?! I'll explain what I mean in a bit.

I use Goof Off for only two household applications. More on that in a bit too.

A Bit of Info on a Product That Uses Just a Bit of Liquid

Goof Off, the Ultimate Remover is another household goody I keep around at all times. It comes in a small yellow coloured can with a flip out spout. As squeeze will push the liquid directly onto the problem or onto a cloth to then be applied. Though the directions say I should, I never use gloves when using the product. That said, I don't use it that often, for any long length of time or in any great amounts.

The product also comes in many other size cans, hand sprays and even an aerosol but because most people don't need to use much of this product, the small 4.5 ounce square can seems to be the most popular.

The can has a list of many of the problems it can tackle. Things like gum, old dried latex paint, glues (as from price stickers) crayon, scuffs, candle wax, grease, tar and such. Though it says it will remove the stuff, I have never tried it for removing lipstick from my collar.

Warnings are given on how to apply, colourfast test and also be sure the product doesn't eat up the surface that holds the stain or problem you are trying to remove. In many cases it will!

Not To Be Used By The Timid

I would put Goof Off in the same category as a chain saw. It can do the job much faster and easier with better end-results than other tools but used by the wrong person or in the wrong way it can be very dangerous!

It's not so much as dangerous to the user as a chain saw can be, though there are plenty of warnings to use it in a well ventilated area and not breath in the fumes. It's also extremely flammable. It's toxic if swallowed too.

The real problem is knowing what jobs it's good for and what it can destroy. Goof-Off is an enemy of plastics. It kinda melts the stuff and leaves it feeling rough and sticky along with marring any finish. The can also notes other surfaces that need to be tested first or not used on at all.

I should mention that Goof Off has a product Goof Off2 that is water based and IS safe on plastics.

The product also has a smell that is not pleasing. It's not awful but it does linger.

My Use

Though this product does well on price stickers and I'm at the ready to use it, I instead use WD-40 that does the job well. I do use Goof Off for candle wax. The bulk of the wax can easily but carefully be scraped of a surface but many times wax remains in the open grain of wood. It's here that I either squeeze a drop on the wax and immediately wipe it off with a clean cloth. I then give a quick spray of a glass cleaner or other such solvent to be sure most of the Goof Off is removed too. The wax is gone.

Though the product states it's good for cleaning carpets, I instead use Resolve Pet Stain And Odor Carpet Cleaner with good results on many stains.

I use Goof Off mostly for the quick and easy removal of dried latex paint. It works great! Again though, like with that big ol' chain saw, you must use caution. I have found that the solvent can eat right through dried paint. It can also eat right through the paint or finish the is on if allowed to stand. Don't let it. One has to use the squirt can's tiny nozzle as intended. Place the solvent directly on the problem keeping the other surface as dry as possible.

I just did a paint job in my home and paint dropped onto my newly finished wood floors. No problem. The paint came off and the floor finish remains the same, looking good. I also had to remove wall paint off trim molding that was not repainted in one room. The wall paint came right off and the trim looks good.

In a nut shell; Use the proper tool for the proper job. Read the label and anyone can use this tool properly and safely. It's excellent for removing dried latex paint! I always have Goof Off in arsenal. I pick it up at the Home Depot in my town so I'm always prepared to GOOF OFF!

looks like ya got it figgured out. the new stickers look sharp.

i used lighter fluid to remove sticker gunk. works for me.

My new decals came yesterday.. The decals wouldn't peel off. They would only 'chip' off. So I spent 3 hrs. doing ONE side with a Heat Gun, WD-40, Goo Gone, and Goof Off... My primary scrape tool was my right thumb ( prolly be sore for a day or two). My secondary tool was an old credit card. My bike is an '03, and Goof Off didn't do anything to the clearcoat. I used Royal Blue Wax/Cleaner, and rubbing alcohol for the rest of the cleanup. What a mess!

1st pic is the old decals...

DSC01005_640x480.jpg

DSC01025_640x480.jpg

DSC01026_640x480.jpg

Last edited:
Geesosa, new stickers look great!! I got the chrome Kanji as well but with no "Hayabusa" lettering. Keeping the rears and front Suzuki off. Can't wait to see what it's gonna look like....
Your front disc's look sweet.

Thanks.. It was worth the effort. Still have another side to do. Graphics are chrome/black chrome eBay items (paid $43.90 w/shipping), and the rotors are Braking polished STX.. I also agree with your sig, 'know your enemy'. Good luck with your bike. :beerchug:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Good old fashioned rubbing alcohol.

The WD-40 trick does work on the glue residue. Good luck with getting the other side done a whole lot easier. With all the great advice it should go pretty quick for you.

3m adhesive remover is the best on the planet, use on inner panels painted areas, anything on the bike. wont hurt any of it

Back