Dampner Mod

techbum

Registered
I've seen a modification about changing the oil in the front stabilizing dampner. Changing it from the supposedly water-like oil that is in it, to a 20w-50. Has anyone tried this?.....make a difference for the better?.....ill-advised? Please give me your comments...

I've seen a modification about changing the oil in the front stabilizing dampner. Changing it from the supposedly water-like oil that is in it, to a 20w-50. Has anyone tried this?.....make a difference for the better?.....ill-advised? Please give me your comments...
I've heard some talk of this mod.....jus may try it myself.
If ya don't like it you can always change it back.

Can someone please point me in the direction of the details of the mod.

My dampner appears to be in need of some TLC.

use 90WT oil...
remove dampner -
remove torx screw in dmapner -
remove oil by pushing rod back and for on in dampner -
using 90WT oil (yes gear oil), refill dampner -
replace torx screw in dampner -
remount damnper -
ride down street with better than brand new dampner!

There are a couple of ways to refill it....I chose a small funnel that fit tightly over the hole where the fluid is exchanged. Holding dampner a vise....pouring oil into funnel, work the assembly back an forth until ALL air bubbles are gone. You really need to watch for the extra small bubles that are hard to see.
Once satisfied....enjoy!

yip did it myself back in Jan 05 when i took my busa under the knife. I used 90 weight gear oil. Much better and makes power wheelies feel nice and stable as the front wheel skips down the street or the track during my my 1.55 60' stock wheelbase launches.......:p

I'm on my 2nd busa and never had a problem with the damper, what are the benefits of changing the oil.. ?

Put 90WT gear oil in mine and feels like it has a damper on it now,before it was so soft did not feel good at all ,90wt works great

Back