CYCLE WORLD & RIDER MAGAZINE TEST

kkbusa

Registered
Cycle world and rider magazines test new busa and new zx14. Here are some of there numbers. Horsepower, the busa is 10 stronger, 173.4 for busa, 163.7 for zx14. Torque is about the same. 103.9 for busa, 103.7 for zx14. 1/4 mile times are 9.75 at 147.02 for busa, and 9.79 at 144.47 for zx14. That is from cycle world. Rider did not dyno them, but liked the busa for handling, and zx14 for comfort. After reading the tests seems suzuki did a better job with the new emissions.
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Here's a thought, wouldn't some mods to a '99-'07 put it right up there with the 2008
bowdown.gif
, making prior Busas over the top to all anyway?
Ikonforums.gif
peace.gif

beerchug.gif

Here's a thought, wouldn't some mods to a '99-'07 put it right up there with the 2008
bowdown.gif
Ikonforums.gif
peace.gif
Indeed but, the same mods to an 08 would yield even higher results. Now, if you already have a Gen I Busa that's that's fairly heavily modded, well, be happy with it. I am. Or, pay the bucks for a new one. Whichever suits you. I've put too much money in my 05, and have it just the way I like it, to trade it in now. Besides, I've got mine set up for track days/twisties etc and, a few extra ponies really won't help my style of riding. Anyone can go fast in a straight line!!! No offense to the drag strip guys here, of course!
beerchug.gif
If I bought an 08, I'd have to start all over again with engine, suspension, brakes, tires, controls, etc... For what I'd gain (this is just me personally, and may not apply to anyone else), it isn't worth it. Yea yea, I know, why set a Busa up for track days and twisties when you could just buy a 600/750/1K etc etc etc? Because, set up properly, the Busa will do everything well, from all day tours, to straight line acceleration, top speed runs, as well as knee drag at the track. I've found it's a waste for me to have 4 motorcycles sitting in the garage (like I had until last year) taking up space and costing extra on my insurance, especially considering the somewhat limited time I have to ride, and one bike takes care of all my high speed needs (ok, well, I also have a big cruiser for two up and long range stuff-VTX1800C).

If I didn't already have a Busa, or something, God forbid, happens to my 05, I'll likely be looking at an 08.

Oh and, getting back on track, the new Sport Rider magazine head to head test between the 08 ZX14 and the 08 Busa also put the Busa 10 rwhp above the 14. They said the Kawi is more comfy, but the Busa is quicker everywhere, albeit not by much. Both bikes hit the rev limiter at 186, but they said the 14 was creeping before hitting the limiter, as in, it appeared that it was nearing what would normally be it's unrestricted top end anyway. The Busa was still pulling hard when it crashed into the limiter.

beerchug.gif

Anyone can go fast in a straight line

You could not be more wrong with that statement.
Not talking about the dragstrip guys. It takes quite a bit of skill and sharp reflexes to squeeze the most out of your bike from a launch, especially sportbikes, which are prone to wheelie. I'm talking about the roll-on type of stuff that usually occurs on the street. Tuck, twist throttle and go. That's pretty much it. Anyone can indeed go fast that way. Anyone that can ride a motorcycle at all, in fact, given a long enough straight line, can take pretty much any bike made to it's top end limit, and as long as you can shift at the proper points (still a pretty basic skill to keep the bike in its powerband) can accelerate quickly from a roll on with ease.

A basic/beginner rider cannot, however, negotiate hairpin turns with any kind of speed and, usually, could get just as much corner speed or more out of most cars. I've ridden with fairly new riders (some brand new, and some experienced cruiser and dirt bike guys too who were new to sport bikes) who literally couldn't keep up with a Honda Civic, driven by a 50 year old soccer grandma on a 270 degree highway interchange, but can accelerate like a bat out of Hell on a deserted highway in a straight line. I've seen it numerous times, as I'm sure we all have. Nothing against them as, we all had to start somewhere, it's a different skill and, that's just a reality. A moderately skilled rider, on the other hand, (to me, dragging a knee correctly and under full control is "moderately" skilled) can out turn most 4 wheeled vehicles by a large margin.

That's what I meant, and why I said "no offense to the drag strip guys" as, none was meant and I wasn't talking about them. I suppose I'm talking about the squids of the world, which I'd bet you've seen around from time to time. You know, the type who race each other from stoplight to stoplight, zip through commuter traffic at 130+ mph and yet, have 2 1/2 inch chicken strips on tires with 5000+ miles on them?

beerchug.gif

bowdown.gif
Ikonforums.gif

peace.gif
True but that would make it orange vs apple...with enough mods, any bike (new or old) can be made to compete.
True, true.
beerchug.gif
But with that having been said, mods on bikes can improve the mechanical engine (if the engines can handle the changes), chassis maneuverability, etc. In another words, to seek an extreme example, you don't see 250cc motorcycles ruling the 1/4 mile times after $100,000 in mods. You've got to have something that can handle the mods and have the dynamics of handling, the ability to handle the increase due to the mods, etc. The Hayabusa seems to keep coming out on top in this arena.
clap.gif

I was at 1/4 mile races some time ago. It was mostly street riders that had some mods on most of the motorcycles, if their motorcycles weren't plain stock nonetheless. The announcer of the races mentioned a Hayabusa getting ready to race. It was Turbo Charged up to 300HP
drools.gif
, but "no internal mods to the engine." That's pretty cool.
wowold.gif
There are very, very few motorcycles that can increase their power, even if to that level, without change the internals of their motor. The Hayabusa motor is very admirable on many different levels. I love the handling of the chassis, too! It's a good canyon carver that's kept the ability to shoot straight and fast on open roads or a 1/4 mile.

Those areas of 'built from Suzuki' are hard to improve on with mods. If at the least, Suzuki created a fantastic foundation to build upon.
bowdown.gif

beerchug.gif

bowdown.gif

Back