Custom T3T4 turbo for Hayabusa?

Hey Chris,..........I believe he was talking mainly about the welds. Those welds are hideous! I'm quite sure the penetration wasn't very good either! The guy obviously has the motivation to build stuff,......I'd tell him to go take a semester of welding at a community college and better his skills at least 1000%. :thumbsup:
yes i agree but remember this pretty welds arent always the best either
mine arent the prettiest but are a very strong weld
if you look aty this header he used straight pipe with NO bends anywhere
thats a whole other discussion and reminds me of the FAIL picture of a car header done with no bends and a mig lol
But again i was just pointing out its more the welds not the material ;)

yes i agree but remember this pretty welds arent always the best either
mine arent the prettiest but are a very strong weld
if you look aty this header he used straight pipe with NO bends anywhere
thats a whole other discussion and reminds me of the FAIL picture of a car header done with no bends and a mig lol
But again i was just pointing out its more the welds not the material ;)

I'm 100% with you! I immediately noticed the "angled" bents too!! LIke you said,.........a whole other discussion!!!!:whistle:

hey Frank you can use mild steel and get it not to crack BUT it has to be done right to assure it doesnt crack
but the same goes for SS too

Pinky, | fully understand what you are saying, I know you are a fabricator, and make some nice stuff. I will say this, however - I have seen plenty of Hahn headers crack in less than a year, and I can say the same for Velocity. In fact, one Velocity kit that I was tuning made a really loud exhaust noise - I immediately stopped, shut everything down to have a look. Another thirty seconds, and the whole turbo would have been laying on the dyno from a huge crack that developed all the way around the collector. These headers were both mild steel, from "reputable" companies . . .

Over the past ten years I have been spoiled by the SS headers I get from RCC - Richard guarantees his headers for two years, and I have NEVER seen or heard of one cracking . . .:cheerleader: That is why the POWERHOUSE replacement header for Hahn kits is made for us by RCC.

Start with quality, spend the money on yourself (you deserve it), and get it tuned right from a tuner who does turbos. You will not regret it. It is the difference between a wet dream and a nightmare!

Pinky, | fully understand what you are saying, I know you are a fabricator, and make some nice stuff. I will say this, however - I have seen plenty of Hahn headers crack in less than a year, and I can say the same for Velocity. In fact, one Velocity kit that I was tuning made a really loud exhaust noise - I immediately stopped, shut everything down to have a look. Another thirty seconds, and the whole turbo would have been laying on the dyno from a huge crack that developed all the way around the collector. These headers were both mild steel, from "reputable" companies . . .

Over the past ten years I have been spoiled by the SS headers I get from RCC - Richard guarantees his headers for two years, and I have NEVER seen or heard of one cracking . . .:cheerleader: That is why the POWERHOUSE replacement header for Hahn kits is made for us by RCC.

Start with quality, spend the money on yourself (you deserve it), and get it tuned right from a tuner who does turbos. You will not regret it. It is the difference between a wet dream and a nightmare!
I have seen the SS flanges crack and parts fall off
and i have known of more then mine fall off
and as i knew velocities headers are SS
all that i have ever seen were SS
also if you weld a mild steel with SS filler it mixes well and gives it the best of both worlds ;)

sorry not bashing anyone who uses SS just saying ive had them crack in more then one place and just repaired a SS header that was cracked in a few spots

how much $$ for that HRC replacement header?

The replacement SS header that POWERHOUSE sells for the Hahn kits is $680 . . . it is guaranteed for two years against cracking or defects. When you put it next to the mild steel Hahn header, it makes that header look like sh**. RCC does much better work.

Pinky, the headers I was referring to cracked in the middle of the pipes, not on the welds. Carrying the full weight of the turbo, plus the vibrations involved, is a lot for a header to bear. At one point, we were offering billet header brackets for the HRC kit that went from the main flange to the engine . . . these worked well, but every single one had to be custom made, due to the inconsistency of the Hahn pipe.

The bottom line is that I cannot afford to sell crap. It is extra work, and bad business . . . that is why I stick to good quality. It is what I would put on my own personal bike . . .:laugh:

agreed on not selling crap
but also the header i repaired a few weeks ago was SS and cracked at the held and also in the middle of the pipe
but again im just stating an example of the SS cracks
and also my background in tool maker and i have knowledge of metallurgy so i know what metals tend to do under different stresses
honestly id like to make a header out of inconnel that would be the end all of non cracking headers

again not tryin to fight frank just saying ive seen it from both sides
and my personal header for the prostreet i am slowly building is mild steel

agreed on not selling crap
but also the header i repaired a few weeks ago was SS and cracked at the held and also in the middle of the pipe
but again im just stating an example of the SS cracks
and also my background in tool maker and i have knowledge of metallurgy so i know what metals tend to do under different stresses
honestly id like to make a header out of inconnel that would be the end all of non cracking headers

again not tryin to fight frank just saying ive seen it from both sides
and my personal header for the prostreet i am slowly building is mild steel

I think the gauge of the material used, and the quality of the welds will dictate here, but more importantly, the design. I am not saying that it can't be done with mild steel, what I am saying is that since I am not a welder, I have to rely on someone else . . . like every other swinging d**k out there that is thinking about buying a kit. Hahn headers that haven't cracked yet are going to crack down the road . . . Velocity headers, even the SS ones, don't have a good track record, either. I have seen your work, and I'm confident that you could do a mild steel header that would hold up. I doubt that you would use the same thin gauge that HRC uses. When a discussion about who makes the best kit comes up, RCC is always on top . . . and quality is the reason. That is why his kits are guaranteed for two years.

Of course, the header shown in the kit posted on this thread looks like something Dr. Frankenstein did on his first try . . . would you trust it?:laugh:

I think the gauge of the material used, and the quality of the welds will dictate here, but more importantly, the design. I am not saying that it can't be done with mild steel, what I am saying is that since I am not a welder, I have to rely on someone else . . . like every other swinging d**k out there that is thinking about buying a kit. Hahn headers that haven't cracked yet are going to crack down the road . . . Velocity headers, even the SS ones, don't have a good track record, either. I have seen your work, and I'm confident that you could do a mild steel header that would hold up. I doubt that you would use the same thin gauge that HRC uses. When a discussion about who makes the best kit comes up, RCC is always on top . . . and quality is the reason. That is why his kits are guaranteed for two years.

Of course, the header shown in the kit posted on this thread looks like something Dr. Frankenstein did on his first try . . . would you trust it?:laugh:
no i wouldnt
i personally would build my own
i dont even trust many used turbos themselves but thats me
and thank you for the compliment
i do use some thinner material for some special projects but there comes the support talks too and the sidemount i built will be supported on the side
but i use a larger bore tube too and use a SS filler to give the the strength of both worlds
but again this is just talk
i feel RCC NLR and Big CC are the three top contenders
but also velocity is now under new ownership so we would need to see how that turns out

i feel RCC NLR and Big CC are the three top contenders
but also velocity is now under new ownership so we would need to see how that turns out

I too hope that RPM picks up the slack and does a good job . . . I need some coverage on kits Richard doesn't make anymore, like the GSXR1000, ZX10, ZX14, etc . . . :whistle:

Back