Custom map / dyno tuning

edcop

Banned
Sportbike $400 , Sportbike without bodywork $350.

Does that sound pretty reasonable for dyno tuning service?

What do they mean without body work? bring the bike in with out the side fairings?

I have a 2008 hayabusa with K&N air filter, full TiForce exhaust and PC3, what benefits can I expect getting a dyno tune? And would it be worth it?

Thanks everyone.

Dyno prices vary, but that's not bad(assuming a reputable competant tuner is doing it). Why they need the fairings removed I do not know.
A good tune will get you around 10hp, 5 ft lbs trq(just a ballpark number)but your idle, throttle response and smoothness of the powercurve will be noticeably improved.
A good tune by a good tuner is well worth the money.
The Ecu Editor from boostbysmith.com - Home is far better to tune with than a power Commander though. A pc can only map fuel, and only for 4 of the 8 injectors. The Ecu Editor can control everything that the ecu does. Turn off 1st through 4th gear restrictions, top speed limits, pair valve, open stp's to full 94%, and on and on. Cheaper than pc too.

Most dyno operators will remove body work to prevent any of it becoming toasted from the excessive heat often produced by the bike. When you ride ...the more on the throttle...the more air going over the body to pull the heat away from the plastic. I'm sure there is a surchage for them to remove it since they don't want to take chances. I have a Tiforce short can and everything else stock...including filter and both my 08 and 09 running 20-50w oil pulled 184 at the wheel.

M

I paid $300 for mine without the body work (lowers only). This makes things quick at the tuner, just roll in and they can hook it up. If you don't know how to take off the body work, learn how (there is a good tutorial on here somewhere, I think it's pinned). You need to do this to change oil, plugs, etc. anyway and knowing how to do this simple stuff can save you a bundle.

Note a couple of things:

1. IMHO, a bike needs a tune right from the dealer stock. The tune the bike comes with is for passing emissions, and it has lean spots. You will notice the bike runs smoother and has better control down low (running slow like in a parking lot or something).

2. The dyno tune probably won't add much on top of what you get from the exhaust and filter, it will however let you actually get the HP increase those mods are supposed to give you. But if you add an exhaust and filter and didn't tune the bike, you could actually be getting less power than stock right now.

3. You can ride the bike with the lowers off. The dealaer that did my tune is about a 45 minute ride on highway. Go easy and I wouldn't do this in the rain or any kind of bad weather, but the bike will stay together with the lowers off no problem.

DSCN1421.jpg

DSCN1433.jpg

Dyno tuners charge less for removing body work? Schnitz Racing charges $250.00 and you don't have to remove anything. Show up at the shop, hang out for a few hours and watch Ryan do his magic.

Sportbike $400 , Sportbike without bodywork $350.

Does that sound pretty reasonable for dyno tuning service?

What do they mean without body work? bring the bike in with out the side fairings?

I have a 2008 hayabusa with K&N air filter, full TiForce exhaust and PC3, what benefits can I expect getting a dyno tune? And would it be worth it?

Thanks everyone.

Where are you located? The guy that tuned mine is named Nels from 2 wheel dyno works. He is a tuning genius. Only cost me $150 and I didn't have to remove any bodywork. Felt like a brand new bike when I left. His customer service is top notch as well.

I still don't understand the fairings removed thing...

Exactly what I was thinking. I could see if it was a turbo bike and the tuner maybe needed to get at something, but on any other bike, I don't see the need at all.

I still don't understand the fairings removed thing...

Here is the link where I was thinking of getting my 08 busa tuned:
Dyno Tuning Service St. Boni Motor Sports St. Bonifacius, MN (877) 385-0339

*All prices listed are labor only. Parts are extra.

MOTORCYCLE DYNO with air/fuel
3 RUNS with printout $85
MOTORCYCLE DYNO TUNING
Install Jet Kit
with printout
Cruiser (single carb) $300.00
Cruiser (twin card) $350.00
Sportbike $400.00
Sportbike (without bodywork)
$350.00
Dirtbike (2 and 4 stroke) $190.00
MOTORCYCLE DYNO REMAPPING
Cruiser $250.00
Sportbike $350.00
Sportbike race (mid to high rpm only) $250.00
Dirtbike (2 and 4 stroke) $
Install power comander $42.50

DYNO ROOM RENTAL HALF-DAY FULL-DAY
runs done by SBM tech $400.00

ahhh now it makes a little more sense. If you had a sportbike with carbs and they were going to make adjustments to the carbs then the fairings would probably need to come off. They're knocking off the 50 bucks to save themselves the time for removing the fairings.

Since your bike has electronic fuel injection and any fuel adjustments wouldn't need the farings removed can one assume that your price would be -50 even with the fairings still installed? That would seem to fall inline with their motorcycle dyno remapping sportbike price of 350. :thumbsup:

It is about $100-$150 high if you ask me. Although, if the tuner is good and knows what he is doing, it may be worth it to you.

Back