Cush things??

KvHotDog4

Registered
Ok so I know what the cush things are and I am pretty sure their purpose is to cushion the vibration from the chain and wheel. So if I am right an this is there purpose when do you know when they need to be replaced. I have 49,000 miles on the factory cush things. To me they look fine but I don't know what I am looking for. They fall out when I take the sprocket assembly out but I just take a screwdriver and push the little tits back in, they have always fell out ever since the bike was brand new. They don't have holes or anything but like I said I don't know what to look for.

So how do I know when to replace them?

I really don't know but I say if you have the money to do it then do it cause I would imagine after 49,000 miles they've prolly lost alot of their spring or elasticity or whatever you would call it but like I said I really don't know just a guess but I do know someone hear will know for sure and chime in the correct answer for you

Kevin, that many miles wouldn't hurt to replace them. The cush drive rubbers provide a little bit of elasticity between the chain/sprocket, and the wheel/tire touching the ground; otherwise the bike would 'snap' and 'jerk' every time you applied the throttle.

There was a pic in another thread just this week of a guy who just replaced his compared to a new set. The difference (the gap on the inside where the sprocket fit) was huge compared to the new set. I suspect that's where the wear is. Look at post #14 in the thread below:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/131378-sprockets-chains-cush-oh-my.html

I dont think they are that expensive. As previously stated, your bike will jerk when you first put it in gear or when you snap the throttle if they are worn out.

Yep i just bumped a thread with pic n write up to change yesterday

Unless you just putt=putt around all the time you probably need to replace them. You can check them with the bike on a stand. The rear tire should be solid when pushing right to left, if worn you have play. Years ago I got the better than factory rubbers from smithbusa for like $29. Don't know who has them or what they'll run now-a-days

i would change them (cush drive). i picked mine up from schnitz racing for about $45.

Back