cush drive install help

HUH Wild , I never heard of that !! But thats an interesting point. I dont really Drag - but dont want any trans damage either . maybe I'll do 3 reds and 3 stocks as a safety measure. Thanks.
I put all 6 reds in my hub and they are SUPER stiff.....they actually make the tranny feel clunky and a little sloppy....kinda irritating. I wouldn't have used them if I knew how stiff they were going to be. They're supposed to absorb drivetrain shock....not make it worse :butbut: . And my bikes pretty low mileage as well. If they don't soften up some by the next tire change I may go back to some stockers. The only reason I went with the reds was because the stock ones only lasted 7000 miles :(

How do you know when they go bad, need a stand ?

You'll be able to feel the slop in the drivetrain (if you let it get that bad). Otherwise, if your sprocket hub falls off easily when the tire is tilted, they're shot. You can also just pull the hub off and look at it, if you know what the new ones are supposed to look like. There's a picture in this thread of the new ones with one old one. You can see how much bigger the gap in the rubber is in the old ones. Hope that helps!

You'll be able to feel the slop in the drivetrain (if you let it get that bad). Otherwise, if your sprocket hub falls off easily when the tire is tilted, they're shot. You can also just pull the hub off and look at it, if you know what the new ones are supposed to look like. There's a picture in this thread of the new ones with one old one. You can see how much bigger the gap in the rubber is in the old ones. Hope that helps!

the gap depicted wont be as large as shown in that pic. they expand a little when removed.

but like you said if the cush drive can "fall" out of the wheel is when ive been told to change them. i changed mine early and went to the sensei drives, personally on my 08 i like the way the tighten up the drive.

Your sprocket hub should not be that tight. If you have to stand on the hub to get it to slip in, it's to tight. Are you sure these aftermarket bumpers don't come from China?

By design, these things are suppose to take the shock load off the drive train all the way from the crank to the wheel. You could be spending dollars to save pennies?

I use the OEM ones and pay less than thirty bucks for a set. They generally last me about10K miles.

As often as I have the rear wheel off, I couldn't afford the time to fuss with cush drive fit.

I'm getting ready to change chain, and sprockets, I have 13,000 miles on my 06 should I just do this since I'll already have the wheel off ?

The easiest way I found to install the racing dampers was to put them on the side of the sprocket, and stand on it while on the wheel. This will get you enough room to install on the bike. As you tighten down your axle (dont forget the brake mount) the damper plugs will be pressed into their holes.

The easiest way I found to install the racing dampers was to put them on the side of the sprocket, and stand on it while on the wheel. This will get you enough room to install on the bike. As you tighten down your axle (dont forget the brake mount) the damper plugs will be pressed into their holes.
10 yr old thread...hopefully the OP has them installed by now....:lol:

Here's how I did mine.

Thanks for the tip about getting that carrier in all the way. I made a comment about that on my thread.

Last edited:
Back