cruising highway in 3rd?

bigboy

Registered
Me and my friends went riding last night on highway.my friend asked me what gear i ride in.i said six unless im making cuts then 3 or 4.he told me he stays in 3 or 4 The whole time.i could be wrong but isnt that too much stress on the engine.will it ruin the engine?

Won't ruin the engine but wastes a lot of gas. I went for a ride in a buddies new Mustang and he does the same thing. Leaves it in first up to around 30 mph and keeps the Rs up all the time. I asked him what kind of gas mileage he was getting and he said 10-15. I told him he dows have quite a bit of torque down low but that is his preference. Maybe your friend is used to a 600 or smaller bike.

Gas mileage and wear on moving parts. I even run 25 MPH zones in sixth unless I feel the engine having to work too much.

Well.... my blonde Friend and I went out for a drive last night, and I had my Truck in first gear, revving the heck out of it the same. She asked "why do you only use first gear"? I politely replied "once the first gear is worn, I go on to the next"

:whistle:

The nice thing about a Hayabusa is that you're able to keep the bike in high gears and ride just about any where. I Love that...

I agree, one of the things I enjoy most about my Busa is being able to go 40mph or 180mph in 6th gear. No annoying downshifting every time you come to a town or a 45mph zone. Same goes for the low end of all gears. When I am out for a leisurely ride I ease it up to 3500rpms in each gear and shift. It is a smooth an quiet way to travel. When people say why would you want all that power part of my explanation in addition to being able to go really fast really quick is the torque and manageability of all that power that it possesses.

Back